HR44 died. Here's the plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dvivino, Jan 12, 2019.

1. dvivino

dvivino New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Sorry I know a lot of info on this in multiple threads, but here's my specific case.
    Current setup is HR44 and 2 HR24's. I DO NOT have any 4K TV's yet.
    HR44 hard drive failed and D* wanted to upgrade EVERYTHING to 1 Genie 2(HS17), and 4 minis. THAT would require another 2yr contract.
    However I asked them to just replace the HR44 with an HR54 which I can continue to use with my HR24's. And, NO NEW CONTRACT needed.
    Does this sound okay to you? I wonder, should I ask them to also replace 1 of my HR24's with a mini? And if so, is all programming shared? Meaning can the HR24 still see everything recorded by the mini?
    Thank you for any input/advice you may have.
    ... Dave

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you get a mini, it can see everything on your system. It records to your HR44 or HR54.

But if you ask for a 54, it is an upgrade. If you ask to replace an HR24 with a mini, it will be an upgrade. Either one will get you a two year contract.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Ask for the HR44 to be replaced. You might get a 44, you might get a 54. But if you want to keep the 24, you can't go to an HS17.

4. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Beware of the "No Contract part".
    I had an HR23 replaced with an HR24 and I actually paid $199 for it at SolidState. I was told by at least 3 different people in Retention that I would not have my contract renewed.

After I did the change over I called again about two weeks later and was told that I did not have a 2 year contract. Then when the next billing cycle came out and I paid it I started thinking about 4K and an HR54 so I called CSR again. I asked them if there was anyway I could get a C61K and HR54 without getting a 2 year contract. The guy said to me that Sir your already on a 2 year contract that started last month :mad:

I called retention and the lady basically said she did not know why anybody would tell me that the HR24 would not create a new contract. After several more transfers I gave up and just decided to get the HR54 and C61K right now because it would at least not add more than a month to the 2 year clock.

I don't know what to tell you other than I would expect that no matter what you do they are going to renew that contract and then play dumb. Record the phone calls, get it in writing via an email, all of those might help. Even with that I would proceed as though the contract will be renewed and just get whatever you want.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not true. If something dies and you get it replaced it will not start a new contract. But if a 44 dies and you request a 54 or 17 (something different than what you have), it is a new contract. Also, if you ask for a replacement and they send/deliver something different because that is all they have, no new contract (e.g. HR20 dies; they are only shipping HR24s now).

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Just tell them it is dead, and take whatever they give you to replace it. That will guarantee no new contract, and an upgrade you can use later if you want to go 4K.

7. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why didn't you let Directv send it to you? There's zero advantage to getting it from Solid Signal over having Directv send you one!​

compnurd likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Baffles me too.

Rich

compnurd likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't forget, if the installer doesn't have a 44 on the truck he can replace it with a 54 and that should not trigger a recommitment...or has that changed too?

Rich

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Like I said, order a replacement for what you have. If they give you something different, it has always been considered a replacement, not an upgrade.

Rich likes this.
  11. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    DEF baffles me to. more so when just because they paid for it don't mean it's not leased. solid signal told me it's still leased and there's no way out of the contract!!!

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The problem that this created is because you bought the right to lease the HR24 and replaced an HR23 that was in service. This, in their eyes, is an upgrade.
    You probably did this because of the numerous posts that recommended to do this. At the time this was recommended they were still sometimes just sending out another HR23, which you did not want. This triggered the new contract.

dreadlk likes this.
  13. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I did it because the people at retention told me during three separate calls that this was the only way I was guaranteed to get a HR24 and not have my contract renewed. Stupid me for believing it!

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't someone tell you that all they are shipping are 24s? We've said that for some time.

Rich

15. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Nope they said they cannot guarantee which model I will get. I did not know at the time that the HR23 was not a possibility. I was also worried they would try to install an older Genie system which is something I did not want. So I figured for $199 I would just go the safe route.

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    That was always an issue with replacements. For quite a long time D* considered all DVR units to be the same even though they never were. Old posts show people getting all sorts of old crap to replace dead current models. It was even an issue with new installs. Just one of the irritants with D*.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sorry, I meant someone here.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That stopped a couple years ago for the most part. D* has been drop shipping only 24s since then. The 23s were dreadful DVRs.

Rich

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There was always a way around having them ship something you didn't want. Don't activate it and ship it back.

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That's part of their script. They will never guarantee specific models unless there is necessary functionality in one model vs another and you are "upgrading" to that functionality. The fact that the only HD DVR that's currently being send is the HR24 hasn't caused the script to be changed.

dreadlk likes this.