HR44 Faster Disconnected from Internet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mika911, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:32 AM.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    My HR44 ethernet cable has been unplugged and I've noticed the box is much snappier.

It's a good box and was never bad, but it's so quick without the internet plugged in. Anyone else notice this? I guess the extra services/features consume some processing resources?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most likely is that the 44 is already connected wirelessly.
    Check it out to see if this is the case.

mika911 likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why did you have the Ethernet wire connected in the first place? Just curious.

Rich

mika911 likes this.
  4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I have noticed this as well. My HR44 was connected via ethernet which I disconnected because of a problem everyone here thought couldn't happen. My wife basically only watches food network, cooking channel or HGTV. If I scheduled a recording, and that particular episode was available on demand, the HR44 would instead download it, and then my wife could not fast forward through commercials. The only way to stop this behavior was remove it from the internet, which was fine because I never use any D* equipment for any type of streaming. And, it is definitely not connected by wireless since I have never given the HR44 the password to my system.

Since disconnecting it, the HR44 is much faster, especially tuning to channels more quickly. It also responds more quickly to presses on the remote for setting up recordings. And, all my wife's recordings allow her to fast forward through commercials.

SMK

mika911 likes this.
  5. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thank you for all the responses. Yeah the box has been so snappy. I'm going to keep it this way for now, it's worth losing on demand to have a box the feels this good.

I think I went ethernet instead of wifi (it definitely isn't connected to wifi it reminds me to reconnect to internet and I've never used wifi on it), just because it was close enough to the router and at the time I figured it would be best.

jimmie57 likes this.