HR44 HDMI Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rlm, Oct 13, 2020.

1. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    This is really annoying. From when I first installed the HR44 I have had HDMI issues. It worked perfectly on the older Direct TV Receivers.

I have 4 HDMI viewing sources connected to my AVR. I prefer to watch my video with the AVR off using the audio on my TV. The AVR (Denon A1 HDCI) is generally off unless I am watching movies using the surround sound.

With the AVR off I can select and play all the HDMI source inputs except for the HR44. The HR44 will not return to HDMI input. I turn OFF the TV. I turn OFF the HR44. I turn them ON. The DTV HDMI will not display.

The only solution is to turn on the surround AVP, select the HR44 input, then turn it off to get back to HDMI video and TV audio. This is unacceptable.

If I turn on the DTV HR44 HDMI control then it always turns on the AVR. I don't want that.

What did Direct TV do to their HDMI control?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    did you update FW on your AVR to latest version ?

3. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes, the HR44 updates itself. I think the lastest was a few days ago.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Have you tried Changing HDMI cords around? is the HR44 connected to the (ARC) port

5. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    HDMI from the HR44 connected to one of the HDMI input ports on the AVP (no ARC on this AVP).

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    AVR, not DVR

7. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    What Model DENON do you have? On the HR44 -menu-setting-display-Video (DO YOU) have HDMI control set to on?

8. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Denon AVP A1HDCI, when I turn the HDMI control to ON setting in the HR44 it always turns on the AVP. I want to switch source inputs with the AVP OFF. All other Source Inputs switch with the AVP OFF except the HR44. There is no way to get back to the HDMI HR44 signal with the AVR off after switching to other inputs. This is really annoying. Never used to work this way.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Does it run latest FW version ?

10. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes, The AVR is current on all it's updates.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Then you need to disable HDMI-CEC on the HR44. CEC will always request that all of the devices in the chain from source to display come out of standby.

12. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    There is the problem with HDMI-CEC disabled on the HR44 with the AVR off after using other input sources I can not get the HR44 HDMI to play. No matter what I do the HDMI will not display unless I turn on the AVP, select the HR44 source, and then turn off the AVP. I would think the HR44 input would perform like all the other source inputs. It does not.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think I see what may be happening here. Because the HR44 HDMI output is always on, the AVR can't detect via signal appearance that the DVR has changed states from standby to on.

Because you have a fairly obscure setup, I'd suggest that you step up to a full-fledged third party remote like the Logitech Harmony Home Companion that offers "scenes" and program it for scenes with and without the sound system involved. There many be less expensive solutions that provide scenes but I'm pretty sure the Companion can work.

14. rlm

rlm New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks for responding. You would think that if you power off the HR44 and then power it back on it would display the HDMI video. It used to. With all sources off including the HR44 when you power the HR44 back on it does not discover the HDMI, no picture. So when I view any other input, I can not get a picture from the H44 HDMI. I have to turn on the AVP ON to get the HDMI to work again. No remote is going to fix this.

15. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    Have you tried using componet video cable from the HR44-rather than HDMI?

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As long as the HR44 has line power, it is outputting an HDMI video signal. Turning it "off" doesn't change that. I reason that because it never changes state, your system doesn't notice anything has changed and the processor doesn't switch inputs.
    If you could turn off the amplifier and leave the processor on, that might work.

I think this problem is going to be something that is only going to follow your processor around as signal presence isn't a reliable measure of box state in more than a few whole-home DVRs.

Another approach might be to use a Genie Mini with your processor rather than the HR44 directly. I don't know if the Minis shut off their video in standby or not but it would be worth looking into.

The most recent update I found was on the Denon Japan site and it was actually pretty recent (ten months old) but it likely depends on other interim hardware upgrades that aren't as easy to come by.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have Samsung TVs and a couple of Sony AVRs. I had similar problems and gave up. I started using optical cables and now I never have those problems. Put an ATV on a Samsung TV then add in a Sony AVR and you learn pretty quickly you're in the middle of a nightmare. Try using an optical cable on your AVR.

Rich

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This might allow the HR44's CEC to turn on the TV and select the appropriate TV input but I see a a couple of possible problems:
    1. Getting the TV to switch back to its corresponding Denon HDMI input would logically require an extra step with the TV's remote (since the RC7x is braindead) before any of the other sources are used
    2. Turning on the Denon may not automatically mute the TV sound as I expect that it does currently (by not passing along the audio portion of the HDMI output)
    Hooking up sources to a TV stinks on ice if you don't have comprehensive HDMI-ARC functionality.

This isn't your typical AVR. The initial version of this preamp was added to Amazon in April 2005. The CI in the model number probably stands for "Custom Installation" and as was pointed out earlier, this particular unit doesn't support some of the latest in HDMI technologies that would have rendered this problem a non-issue. It is possible that one of the hardware upgrades addressed the CEC issue (a Crutchfield listing says that the last incarnation of the unit supported HDMI 1.3a) but they are rather expensive and may be difficult to obtain. HDMI-ARC became part of the standard in HDMI 1.4 (though earlier HDMI interfaces may have included some components).

Rich likes this.