HR44 / HDMI power up issues all of the sudden

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stvjohnsn, Jul 11, 2015.

1. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi folks,

I have an HR44 connected via HDMI to a Sony LCD TV controlled with a Harmony 900. Everything's been working fine for probably a year. Out of the blue this week the system started powering up into a "no signal detected" message on the TV. After a bit of troubleshooting I found that I could turn off/on the HR44 and the signal would come back.

If while everything is working I turn off/on the TV I'll get the "No Signal"...and again need to power cycle the HR44 to get it back.

This seems like it could be related to HDCP but why all of the sudden? I thought it might have been caused by a software change but the box received 0xA02 over a month ago.

Thought I'd post here before calling DTV on a weekend. Any chance I've experienced a hardware failure?

2. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    Make sure the HDMI control is off on both the HR and the TV,

3. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks...just checked that. TV HDMI control was set to OFF. HR was set to ON. I turned that OFF and still seeing the same results.

I also tried changing the power-up order in the harmony remote but that didn't make a difference either.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would suggest a delay being added. I'd bet the DVR is trying to handshake before the TV is fully ready too. Granted it's odd for that to happen out of the blue. What forward are you on and when did it hit your machine? Might be they sped up that part not sure.

5. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    I am having a similar problem that just popped up in the last week. My DVR's seem to be fine but my Sony is giving me fits.

I lose the signal to my analog distribution amplifier (I broadcast DVR1, DVR2, and DVR3) when I power down the Sony HX729. My Slingbox also reports no signal unless the TV is powered up. I tried both cloud based and android Slingplayers with the same result.

All three DVR's deliver content to the Sony via HDMI. I use the DVR's composite outputs to feed the various inputs on my Channel Vision distribution amplifier. Coax connected TV's in remote rooms receive the signal via the amplifier on channels 50/60/70.

Oddly when the TV is powered off, channels 50 and 60 are offline but channel 70 is not. In all cases the Slingplayer fails 100% of the time if the TV is off.

By trial and error, I thought I isolated the problem to the HDMI 1 input on the Sony. With the TV powered off, if I pulled the HDMI 1 cable channel 60 came back on and the Slingplayer operated normally. Subsequent tests revealed the problem moved to HDMI 2. I suspected a recent firmware update to my HX729 was my problem until I read this thread.

I did check to make certain the HDMI controls on the Sony were set to off but still no joy. I am unable to find any HDMI control settings on my 3 HD DVR's. I used both my Harmony 720 and the Sony native remote controls with identical failures.

Bottom line is when the TV is powered off, my slingplayer and distr amp fail. Powered back on and everything works fine.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    See this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/218527-audio-from-receiver-is-off-unless-tv-is-on/

It has do to do DIRECTV® enabling HDCP throughout ALL channels. So if HDCP fails, all outputs are terminated.

7. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Thx, the referenced link was useful.

My DVR's are mixed models but all have received updates in the past month or so. The Sony HX729 received a huge software download last week and that was when I noticed the problem. These two links suggest the DVR's are the root cause of the problem and that the odd behavior following the Sony firmware is pure coincidence.

"It has do to do DIRECTV® enabling HDCP throughout ALL channels. So if HDCP fails, all outputs are terminated."

I am assuming my ch 70 content is unaffected because it goes thru a Monoprice 3x1 HDMI switcher. Perhaps I have to go back to component video or get a more robust switcher. In the interim, my current workaround is to leave the TV on but set its power settings to "display off". Crude but effective.

Any other thoughts on fixes or workarounds?

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    LeftcoastDave

I did check to make certain the HDMI controls on the Sony were set to off but still no joy. I am unable to find any HDMI control settings on my 3 HD DVR's. I used both my Harmony 720 and the Sony native remote controls with identical failures.

Bottom line is when the TV is powered off, my slingplayer and distr amp fail. Powered back on and everything works fine.

The setting is in : Settings, Display, Video. Then choose to have it on or off.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    As posted, this is an HDCP issue, nothing to do with HDMI-CEC.

10. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    After reading the other thread, I tuned my HR44 to a music channel...turned everything off...then back on again and it worked fine. It just won't power up with hdmi enabled on normal TV channels.

It sounds like I could fix the issue with a powered HDMI splitter but this is an extremely common configuration I would think and shouldn't be necessary. A harmony remote turning on the TV and the DVR at the same time...and the DVR won't output HDMI unless it gets another power cycle.

11. stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    PROBLEM RESOLVED

Thanks to the other HDMI thread that was just revived in this section...I decided to try and see if a firmware update for the TV (Sony KDL55EX500) would make any difference. Turns out it was way out of rev. Probably never updated at all since it's purchase in 2010. And it worked. Now everything powers up fine.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Excellent. Thanks for the update.

13. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Cool Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I am having the same problems, my TV is not connected to the internet at all so there is no way any updates on its end...this just started in July. Mine is a Sony as well, nothing else changed.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    have you tried an HDMI powered splitter?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Software updates to DTV comes from the satellite, not the internet.
    Did you check the Sony website to see if your TV has a Firmware update ?

16. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Cool Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I have not.

17. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Cool Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I did not see one for my TV....I meant updates to my TV, not the DTV updates.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    then that is your next step, or using component cable.

19. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Cool Member

Jan 9, 2013
    This problem does not occur if the channel that was last on was one through the AM21....so it seems to be directly related to an update or a change in signal.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Conspiracies theories abound....

No software update, perhaps a change in signal as far as content flagging is concerned. HDCP