1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44 & HR24 MOCA questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vbush, Jun 30, 2013.

1. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    Setup ; HR44 & HR24. No Ethernet, no CCK, no stop band filters, & no DECA adapters.

HR44 shows connected to Internet, Whole Home status shows connected, but MOCA shows coax not connected. The HR24 shows connected to Internet, Whole Home status shows connected, and coax network shows connected. Whole Home and Internet are working on both receivers. Shouldn't the HR44 show coax connected on MOCA? I guess my question is Whole Home working in unsupported mode? Should I be concerned that MOCA shows coax not connected?

2. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    The HR44 connects via WiFi, I have the same setup here, HR44-700 connected via WiFi and the HR22 & HR21 via (unsupported) Cat5, all work great. I removed the CCK and Deca adapters long time ago.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Have you tried doing a reset of the HR44?

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The HR44 deoesn't automatically connect via wifi. You have to direct it to do so. Mine has never been set to wifi.

5. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    When I reset the network setting to default and then reset both receivers, the ip of each box resets to default. The whole home no longer works. Whole home only seems to work when the 44 is connected to wifi. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, I just don't understand why the MOCA info says coax not connected. For anyone using wifi does your info say coax not connected? I see some of you have managed to get whole home working without wifi, I have not.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When I reset the network setting to default and then reset both receivers, the ip of each box resets to default. The whole home no longer works. Whole home only seems to work when the 44 is connected to wifi. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, I just don't understand why the MOCA info says coax not connected. For anyone using wifi does your info say coax not connected? I see some of you have managed to get whole home working without wifi, I have not.

Are you resetting to defaults both receivers? WiFi is not needed to be able to get WHDVR

7. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    Yes, reset network to default and reset both receivers. No whole home. If I connect 44 to wifi I have whole home, but the info on the 44 says 'MOCA ... Coax not connected.

8. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    For anyone that has a 44 connected to wifi:

What does MOCA say in your system info? Connected or Coax Not Connected?

9. Jul 1, 2013 #9 of 24
    dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    MOCA doesn't show as connected since your using WiFi not a CCKW or CCK.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That explains the HR44's MoCA disconnected reading, but what's still not making sense here though is that in order for WH connectivity to take place through the HR44's WiFi, the HR24 must be on the home network's ethernet which means its internal DECA is disabled.

Yet the TS says the HR24's network status reads as "coax connected," but should say "disconnected" as well with the internal DECA disabled.

Unless its a bug or something causing an erroneous reading in the HR24's system info. menu.

Anyway, is there an ethernet cable plugged into the HR24?

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Your HR24 is receiving connectivity through coax (from the 44) using its internal DECA, and your 44 is receiving connectivity through its built in WiFi.

Seems like this is a nomenclature problem, no? It's all working, no?

12. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    Yes, it is all working so I guess I shouldn't worry about :). Just trying to better understand how it works and the fact I can't get it (whole home) to work without enabling WiFi which posters have indicated it should and does for them.

13. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    Absolutely no ethernet cables plugged into the 24 or 44.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    There's definitely something screwy going on;

After a restart of both boxes and with their network settings returned to default, did you notice what IP addresses the boxes were on when the HR44's internal WiFi was turned off?

As they both should have been somewhere in the 169.254.xxx.xxx APIPA range for WH to connect, when there's no connection to the router for DHCP IP assignment.

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If you want to connect via ethernet, do this: unplug both boxes. Connect ethernet directly to either box then boot that box up. Check that internet is rolling. Then boot up the other box. It should connect by itself after a bit. Whole House and all should be fine.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, I think the TS want's to use the coax network for WH connectivity without the need for the HR44's internal WiFi in use connected to the router, which he should be able to do with the boxes using APIPA addresses and the HR44's internal WiFi turned off.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Which is what I gave suggestions for, excepting APIPA addresses, which is unnecessary and something you introduced.

18. vbush

vbush AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Texas...
    Yes, both boxes return to the original 169.254.xxx.xxx IPs. They just don't see each other and whole home doesn't work. Only after running network setup on the 44 does it recognize whole home. I think I am just going to accept it the way it works until it causes some problem. I haven't seen any problems with the WiFi connected, it just seemed strange to me that the 24 shows coax connected and the 44 shows coax not connected and they won't connect without WiFi being turned on. But hey, if it ain't broke .....

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    While it does still function that way, it is really broken in some respect;

I'd personally ask DIRECTV to swap out the HR44 for another if a full reset or some other on that box can't correct this anomaly, since it should be able to connect WH via the coax/MoCA network to the HR24 without the need of its internal WiFi connected to the router.

But its up to you ....

20. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    When you go to Weaknees website and ask what you need for whole home and on demand with an hr44 and hr24 it tells you that you need a CCKW for wired setup, are you saying that is not the case?