Hr44 is Freezing on commercials

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by itzme, Oct 11, 2016.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Started in the past few days. Seems to be mainly on CNN. Not even getting the screensaver when it happens. Sometimes trickplay will get rid of the freeze, other times it takes a channel change. Software is 0xbf4

I'll do a restart but I wondered if others were getting this issue.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's a known issue on some inserted commercials, happened a lot last year but we thought it had been fixed.

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I sensed inserted commercials were the culprit, since it happens at the end transition back to satellite tv. So frustrating.

4. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    It happens especially when they insert those PPV ads from Directv.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried the CLEARMYBOX search do clean it out and reload the offending commercials ?

1 person likes this.
  6. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Wait, what do you mean reload commercials? Does Directv saves their commercials on the dvr so they can trigger when whenever they want?

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, these local commercials are stored on the DVR and then inserted into the programming.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you look at an HD receivers program guide and an HDDVRs you will not see the banners that show up on the DVR. That tells me that they are stored. I would think it is not different with the commercials.
    Local commercials are stored in many instances on DVRs.
    I have no proof but this is what I believe to be correct.

9. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    So, let's say that I'm watching the same channel in different rooms. One tv has a dvr and the other tv with a basic stb without dvr. Will I get two different commercials on the tv without the dvr when because nothing can be stored on that stb?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have 1 of each but could not answer that from experience because me and my son never watch the same channels.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    correct. Is. It unusual to see a national commercial on your HD receiver and local inserted ad on your DVR at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    last Monday night , watching monday night football, during commercial, our hr44-500 completely froze and no button on the remote did anything. I had to do red button reset and then the unit wouldnt get passed 771 looking for satellite signal. I checked my H25 in the bedroom and all was well so it just had to be the genie. did another RBR and everything booted up . no issues since,but do occasionally get digital pixelization on dvr recorded shows mainly on some network channels

13. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    By the same token, when "streaming" a recording from the DVR to the receiver (H25) the DVR-inserted ads are ignored and not streamed to the receiver, while they'll still play on the DVR in the same spot of the program.

The receiver just plays the "original" content of the broadcast. (However, this can sometimes include material inserted by DirecTV "over" a national ad, but technically would've had to have been present in the satellite broadcast and "inserted live" by DirecTV at that time.)

In other words, I've never seen an inserted "local" ad from any national channel on the H25 receiver, whether live or from a DVR program played through it.