hr44 issue ..pausing program sometimes requires red button reboot

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gvc, Jan 19, 2020.

1. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    updated software earlier this month...0x12DC

usually when you pause a program that your currently watching causes the dvr to show ads after a minute or so, but lately , sometimes the dvr will get "stuck" and not go into the ads. using any button on remote will not work at all (even after waiting an extended period of time to allow it to fix itself) , and the only thing that fixes it is doing a red button reboot. This behavior does not happen everytime, but when it does you obviously lose your place on the program you're watching and the reboot takes about 5 minutes or so.

anyone else experience this? I'm hoping its a software bug and not a possible warning that our particular unit is faulty.

BGLeduc likes this.
  2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Not having that problem myself --Question
    1. How Full is the HDVR Disk --over 80% or more
    2. Possible Buffer Issue with the receiver

Suggest using your remote --DO a Search [CLEARMYBOX] without brackets --search all- the receiver will reboot -When the Picture returns --wait about 30 minutes and Pause and see if it happens again.

Rich likes this.
  3. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    MY HR44-700 [ 0x12DC ] has the same problem . It locks up sometimes when I hit pause during the playing of a recorded program.

The red button reset corrects the problem . HDVR Disk is only 40 - 45 % full .

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    a CLEARMYBOX --reloads plugin's -- a Redbutton Reset Does NOT

MysteryMan likes this.
  5. Feb 2, 2020 #5 of 18
    BGLeduc

BGLeduc New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    This has been occurring for me for a couple months. Infuriating. A single red button reset always gets things going.....until the next time.

I will definitely try CLEARMYBOX, although I did read at Solid Signal that a red button reset twice within 30 minutes does the same thing.

6. Feb 2, 2020 #6 of 18
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That is correct but why do something twice (two back to back resets) when you can accomplish the same thing by doing a CLEARMYBOX once?

BGLeduc likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2020 #7 of 18
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    While doing a double restart (within 30 mins) does flush the guide data, I believe a CLEARMYBOX is a bit more comprehensive.

Not only flushed the guide, but reloads the firmware and does other things (like seemingly flushing out some of the "bloatware" as well that has to trickle back in over time).

Did this once on an old HR21 and the thing was quite snappy for about a half-day.

Maybe the process has changed since then - haven't done it in a while.

8. Feb 5, 2020 #8 of 18
    gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    by the way, since performing the CLEARMYBOX command, I have not had any more issues with the hr44 locking up.

BGLeduc likes this.
  9. Feb 6, 2020 #9 of 18
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It does not reload the firmware. It just deletes the plug ins

10. BGLeduc

BGLeduc New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Mine as well, but since it was not a daily occurrence, maybe every couple weeks, it is too soon to declare victory.

11. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    well , sad to say, my box just locked up again after I paused a recording :(, had to do a red button reboot to get it working again

12. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I'd get another. Mine has never had any problems. That would drive me crazy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Same thing happened to me on my 44 yesterday. Just locked up for no reason. All I did was turn it on. An update might fix this. I will be patient, this has happened before to my 44.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not sure when I got my 44, been quite awhile. This isn't the first time this has happened. Updates have always helped.

Rich

15. BGLeduc

BGLeduc New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    My good luck has ended. My box locked up solid this morning.

So, two weeks since the CLEARMYBOX. I honestly lack the motivation to try to get tech support from 1st tier CSRs that have no clue and are just going to walk my through useless troubleshooting steps.

16. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Just call and tell them it won't power on at all. They will ship a replacement.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rich likes this.
  17. BGLeduc

BGLeduc New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Today we had our first full lock-up that did not occur while paused.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You have to get a replacement or have the patience to wait for an update and hope that stops the lockups. Using CLEARMYBOX is a temporary fix at best. As you've seen. I don't think this is an HDD problem but you never know. Only way to be sure of that is to stick an external drive on the HR. A replacement would probably be your best bet. I'd do that.

Rich