HR44 Screen "Horizontal Tearing" Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LC66, May 27, 2020.

1. LC66

LC66 Cool Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone had seen this issue prior and could offer some guidance. I have had an HR44 for about four years, connected to an older Samsung LCD TV. For the past two years, I have noticed about 2 or 3 times a month, I am seeing "horizontal tearing" of the screen image, during movies or tv shows that have a lot of motion in them. The only fix I have found is a receiver restart, which eliminates the problem for a while.

In the past month, this has been occurring about twice a week. Same fix, receiver restart. I have another DVR networked with this one, an HR24, that does not have this problem. Any suggestions?

I attached some example images from Cowboys vs. Aliens:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    How old is that older Samsung?

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    In settings on the TV, look for something like Motion Control or Judder. My TV calls it Auto Motion Plus.
    Turn that feature to OFF and see what happens.

4. LC66

LC66 Cool Member

Jul 9, 2007
    The Samsung is from 2008, but has no issues streaming a signal from my Roku or OTA.

Update: I did run the BIST on HDD when I rebooted, it failed the SMART Short test, I guess I will run the SMART Long test tomorrow when I am at work to see the results. Looks like I will be getting a replacement receiver. Is it still $19.95 shipping if you don't have a Protection Plan?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Try turning off the motion junk on the tv first. It doesn’t matter if streaming on rocky works, that’s a different animal.

compnurd likes this.
  6. LC66

LC66 Cool Member

Jul 9, 2007
    The Auto Motion Plus has been disabled since I installed the screen.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Also looks like a HDMI cable failing

8. LC66

LC66 Cool Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Why would a receiver restart "fix" a failing HDMI cable for a week?

I ran the SMART Long test and the receiver passed. Not sure what is going on.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Replace the cable

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He's probably seen an HDMI cable fail and produce what you are seeing. Replace the HDMI cable. That's simple to do. Your question is rational. I'd wonder about that too. And I'd replace the HDMI cable. When I ask a question and someone I trust gives me an answer that makes sense I do what they suggest.

Rich

compnurd and jimmie57 like this.
  11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Its also the simplest form of troubleshooting with this minus verifying power.. He could have replaced 45 cables in the time it takes for the Long SMART Test to run

Rich likes this.