1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44 - Should I install it myself?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gsslug, May 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I called DTV this morning to talk about possibly upgrading my programming. So I'm talking to the rep and he tells me I'm eligible to upgrade hardware. I ask him to explain and he says since I subscribe to the maintenance program I'm eligible to upgrade all my hardware for free. So I ask him what do I get and he said I can replace all my receivers. Ok. I only have two. One HR24 and a HR22 which is really slow. In addition I have the Whole Home system or whatever they call it. It's connected wirelessly to my wireless modem. He says that since I have everything they will just send me the HR44 and I can just hook it up myself. He offered professional installation for free but perhaps not knowing any better I said I could just hook it up myself.

First I admit that I haven't been following the Genie thing since I thought it would cost a bundle to upgrade and my HR24 and HR22 serve me well enough enough. So my question is can I simply just disconnect my HR24 and connect the HR44 to the same cables? Should I have gotten the pro install? Am I missing something here? Should I have asked for more (don't want to seem greedy)?

BTW - I'm keeping the HR24 and replacing the HR22 with it.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You should be fine just swapping out the receivers. Just be aware that you might get a HR34 and not a HR44. DirecTV considers both to be Genies, so you could get either one. Plus, the HR44 is not that widespread yet.

- Merg

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As long as there is only a single coax to the HR22 (implied with the WHDS configuration), you should be set to do a swap-out.

Make sure you ask if there are going to be any changes in fees (either way) as a result of this swap.

4. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I considered that. What are the major advantages/differences of the HR44 over the HR34?

5. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    Well it's a moot point now. FedEx just dropped it off. It's a HR34-700.

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I love my HR24 and HR34.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR44 is newer, physically it is much smaller (which most people prefer I think), and functionally it is a bit faster. Also it uses the new RF remote (but still the same IR remote). Otherwise, it has the same features and same capabilities.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This is one reason why I like the HR34. I can use my regular remote in RF mode as the HR44 only allows the RC71 in RF mode and I hate the RC71.

- Merg

Posted via IP.Board