HR44 stuck on checking satellite settings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Vzal, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Vzal

Vzal New Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I just had my dish reinstalled after a roof replacement. After the tech reset my HR-44 box, it is stuck on Step 1 of 2: Checking Satellite Settings". The tech advised that the box was bad and needed to be replaced. The box was fully operational four days ago before the roof was replaced (and in fact allowed me to watch already recorded shows while the dish was disconnected up to moments before the techs arrived.

At this point I really want a way to at the very least access my recorded list. I was able to enter CUI-1 Utilities and run an HDD SMART long test (which passed) but I can't access any other screen.

Does anyone know a way to bypass the self check and just access the recording lists, even if live tv won't work for now? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If your roof was replaced --have you have had the Dish re-aligned by AT &T?? if NOT That's your issue NOT the Box --

MysteryMan likes this.
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    More than likely your DVR's authorization has expired and the only way to get it working again is to connect it to a functioning dish until it receives another authorization signal. You can initiate an authorization from your DIRECTV (or AT&T) web account but don't bother doing that until you have a satellite signal.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    you could try old method: disconnect coax, let it boot, go to Settings to begin Installation (cleanup without sat signals), then reboot again and proceed to installation and checking sat signals on all sats

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    WTH is that ?!
    Any working IRD would boot and show signals ! regardless authorization !
    How new boxes is working?!!!

compnurd likes this.
  7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    For once I agree with you.. This is what happens when people make suggestions about equipment they dont use and speculate

Rich likes this.
  8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the question is "accessing the recording list", active authorization is required, is it not?

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As noted above, your problem is almost certainly that your dish is not properly connected or not properly aligned. It is possible the coax cable was damaged during the roofing job. Many possibilities that all would be related to the dish alignment or connection.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    well, if I remember correctly (fixing some DVRs from previous owners) I saw the list...

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No and never has been Authorization would prevent viewing live programming

Rich likes this.