HR44 time bar stuck at 0:00

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dvdmth, Dec 18, 2015.

1. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Last night, my HR44-500 did something really strange. While watching recordings, the playback position on the time bar stayed at 0:00, regardless of where I was in the recording.

This bug prevented fast forward from working properly, although other trick play functions were fine, including 30 skip. It also meant I could not stop watching a recording and later pick up where I left off, since resuming would start from the beginning. All recordings were affected, including those made weeks ago.

Fortunately, a restart resolved the issue, so the HR44 is now behaving normally. I had to wait until late last night to do the reboot, though, because of recordings in progress.

I am running the latest firmware, which I believe is 0xAC8, which was installed a week ago. I had no issues until last night, although I have heard that others are having problems with this release.

I don't know if the issue I had is a one-time fluke, or if it is an inherent problem with this firmware. I decided to post this in case others may encounter the same issue.

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Many people, including myself, have had this problem at one time or another shortly after one of the recent firmware updates. Resetting the DVR has been the fix for us. I don't know about others, but since doing the restart in mid-November, to get rid of the issue, it hasn't returned for me.

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I've experienced the same exact issues on the same current firmware, and very similar timeline issues with the previous firmware. I hope they're working on it. I notice the issues because I'm an avid user of buffering one channel while viewing another (on another tuner). Its frustrating when you switch to the other tuner only to learn you can't FF. Sometimes I noticed when you try to FF or skip, you end up looping back to a previous part of the buffer,

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That is really interesting. It must be a case of "partial confusion", and by that I mean that it can read and respond to the timecode metadata in the video file (if it couldn't you would not even be able to play a clip) but it can't use that data to perform certain functions. Surprising that skip would work while FFWD would not; those both pretty similarly rely on some of the same resources.

Lots of functions run as a service, and sometimes a service quits spontaneously. That said, one would think that the reboot after a download would restart the service properly, and that is part of why it even does that. But for anyone who has ever had a computer, sometimes a second (or 18th) reboot is in order when changing assets related to the OS. I chalk that up to poor engineering, but there is plenty of that these days.

Timecode issues are not unheard of, of course. I once had the timebar on a DISH DVR tell me I was somewhere in hour 713. If I remember correctly, the show I was watching was probably not that long.

5. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    What has been added to all the recent fw upgrades of the past several months? Besides ads (like "Connected") I feel pretty sure that they've been tweaking fw to increase the number of commercials being watched (less buffering, more emphasis on the Rewind/Watch From the Beginning). The more commercials being watched, the better bargaining position DTV has with providers. I believe issues like the rampant screen savers, lost buffers, and lost time bars, are all a function of those tweaks.

6. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    Well, I had the 0 Time issue and rebooted 2 nights ago. That fixed it - until yesterday. Now every show is stuck on 30 if a 30 minute show and 60 if an hour long show.

Does DirecTV know about this issue?

I'll reboot tonight. Is a Restart in the menu sufficient or should I unplug the unit and plug it back in? This is an HR44.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you do the reset again and it does not fix it,
    Try a search for CLEARMYBOX, choose Keyword and let it work. It seems to do a little bit more than the reset does.

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The CLEARMYBOX process takes longer to reboot than a regular restart does and it clears out your program guide, which takes a while to repopulate. So, you may want to do this before going bed, rather than during a period when you actually want to watch/record things.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is only a tiny bit longer on my HR24. A reset takes about 11 minutes and the clearmybox takes 12-14.
    I do not have an HR44 so I do not know how long they take.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Loss of, and time to rebuild, the program guide is more of an issue. If it were just the restart time, I wouldn't wait.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes,
    it definitely takes 48 hours to rebuild everything like the guide and graphics.

12. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    well, I did the ClearMyBox and it now works. Hopefully, it will still be working tomorrow, etc.

Thanks

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thanks for the update. I will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

14. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yep had this issue a few weeks ago and now it's back. Rebooted last time. Will try the clearmybox this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That will honestly depend on how many shows you have on your HDD. Part of the POST routine includes a reconcile routine, which is what makes it take so long. It has to check every file in the database against the header of the file it represents on the HDD, which means at least 3 files per show, because I think it stores these files (audio, video, timecode) as separate files rather than as a single file with separate elemental streams as subfiles (which is the way they are received), and this is how it does housekeeping regarding orphaned files (marks them as free space, or essentially disappears them, if one of those three files does not reconcile).

So a DVR with an empty HDD might take 6 minutes to boot, while a DVR with 400 hours on it might take twice that long. That also might be altered by whether a legacy LNBF is in use or not, so a specific boot time is hard to predict and depends on a lot of factors on the ground at the time.

Assuming similar HDD usage and that the sw routines are written the same, a HR44 will take the same amount of time as a HR24 if the processor is the same, be faster if the processor is faster, but this really is based more on the bottleneck of HDD latency and access times, since the HDD is checking all of those files to be sure they are really there.

16. Vinny*

Vinny* Legend

May 17, 2008
    Same thing happened today on my HR34-700. Last update wee 12/17. 0xac8

Sent from my VK410 using DBSTalk mobile app