HR44 to HR54 with no contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nsykes, Sep 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nsykes

nsykes Cool Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    What is the best way to go about getting an HR54 to replace a current HR44 without having to lock in? I’ve tried searching threads but can’t find any info regarding the no contract part. I’ve been having issues with my HR44 and rather than getting one of those again under warranty would like the newest model (don’t want the Genie 2 though)

I’m assuming I’d have to try and get a truck roll and get lucky? DTV cust care insists on sending me another Genie through warranty and then calling tech to come install.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Upgrading triggers a new contract. Always has. You have two choices. Either have DIRECTV replace your HR44 with another HR44 or upgrade to the HR54 and accept the new contract.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you get a truck roll and the installer doesn't have a 44 on the truck you might get a 54, that has happened. If you get a truck roll and the installer has a 44 on the truck and there are 54s on the truck...and you have a Benjamin handy...

Rich

nsykes and H1awatha like this.
  4. nsykes

nsykes Cool Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    ***UPDATE***

I requested a truck roll. When the tech called to inform me he was on his way I asked if he had any HR54 on truck he said yes. I told him I had been having issues with HR44s and would like an HR54. He said he would see if he could. When he arrived he looked through my setup. Swapped my HR44 for a HR54 and also put on a new RB LNB. I gave him $60 as a thank you.

I’m a happy camper. Now to setup all my recordings again.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Excellent.

Now next week, call DIRECTV. At the voice prompt, ask for "contract end date."

It seems to get them interested in your account. Just tell them you are curious. Don't tell them you got an 'upgrade', just a replacement DVR if the question comes up. Replacements don't incur a contract; upgrades do.

Then if the opportunity comes up, find out if you are eligible for any customer loyalty discounts.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Made the installer happy too. Glad you got what you wanted and really glad to see the installers can still do that.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And ask for the NFL thing.

Rich