HR44 vs HR54 - Which should I go with?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cpalmer2k, Sep 12, 2015.

1. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    I've been with DirecTV since 2013 now and currently have an HR34 Genie... with all its' problems. I'm to the point that I'm tired of begging DirecTV to do something about it, and am just going to buy an HR44 or HR54 from Solid Signal and activate it with DirecTV and send the 34 back to them.

My dilemma is which one should I get, the HR54 or the HR44? I'd rather go with the 54 and future proof myself for 4k down the road, but most of the comments on here indicate that the HR44 runs very well. I don't want to get a 54 and have the same issues I have with my 34.

Anyone have any hands on experience with both?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm not thrilled with my HR44-700. Makes a nice server, but I don't use it as a main DVR. I tried to record The Civil War and it only recorded the first episode (please don't question the way I set up the recording, I know how to do it properly). That was just one of several disappointments I've had with it. The 54 is new and new is never good with D*'s DVRs. I think if I had a choice I'd go with the 44. I'm not sure the 54 is 4K capable.

Rich

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well since you are buying I would go with the 54 since is the newer DVR, this does not mean there is something wrong with the 44. Both are very comparable units at the moment. The 54 is not 4K via HDMI but can do 4K via RVU

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Solid Signal probably won't sell you an HR44/54 if you have an HR34 still on your account....

5. tomspeer46

tomspeer46 Legend

Nov 17, 2011
    Eastern NC...
    There is currently no difference in performance between the HR44 and HR54, when they are running the same release of software. The 54 will not do caller ID, because it has no phone jack. The HR54, being a little newer design, may have features useful for passing real-time 4K to clients, in the future. Either of them are much better than a HR34. Personally, I would go with the HR54, if there were no difference in price to you. The HR54 appears to be less cost to manufacture, because they have eliminated superfluous hardware.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh well, I guess it's the usual strange hit or miss performance among the various DIRECTV receivers.

Series recording the same Ken Burns "The Civil War" here on my HR54 from local PBS KOCE-DT and every episode has properly recorded so far. The HR54 is also working great so far like night day over my previous HR34.

Just hope DIRECTV doesn't screw it up with future firmware updates.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, no issues on my 44 with the series either.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This was my understanding as well.

9. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    I thought Solid Signal would sell anything, then you just called DirecTV to activate it? And thus they send a box for the 34? I thought Solid Signal was just a put it in the cart and checkout again thing now?

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They have to verify your account I believe and if there is already one genie on it they aren't allowed to sell you another. May need to deactivate the HR34 first then you should in theory be able to order one through then since it won't be listed on the account. Stupid really. But I get why.

11. Blackloz

Blackloz New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    That's my understanding as well. Why would a online retailer care what equipment you have? It's not really their problem as it's the end users responsibility to activate their own receivers.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Because if solid signal won't do that then DIRECTV won't let them sell the boxes in the first place. It's kind of a, do it the way we want or don't do it at all because we don't want to deal with mad customers when they find out they can't have two genies. I really can't blame either of them for that. I do blame DIRECTV for not allowing two or more in the first place by now though.

13. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Hrm sounds like Amazon gets my business then. Most there report no issues swapping with DirecTVs phone support

Thanks everyone for the feedback too. I've tried to get DirecTV to swap me in the past with no luck. It's to the point that it is worth the $299 to eliminate the aggravation (and my wife's complaining about the 34). I think based on the feedback I'll go for the 54. I don't need the missing features, and better to be future proofed for awhile at least

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Found out the same thing happened on 24-500. Kinda puzzling. No conflicts, just didn't record all the episodes. No problem since my Fire TV box has the PBS app and the whole series is on it. Watched episode 1 last night.

Rich

15. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I have issues with most PBS series. I end up every week selecting each episode to record. That plus the issue that many episodes are new to the US but have been playing elsewhere so they aren't listed as new. I also find PBS may advertise Sunday at 8:00 and local PBS decides to broadcast Monday at 7:00. So I don't judge recording capability on accuracy of PBS recording.

16. unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    That's pretty much a given.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good to know. I rarely record any PBS content and I was surprised that both my HR44-500 and one of my 24-500s had problems recording The Civil War. Didn't really matter, I have five streamers that have the PBS apps on them and all of them put out content in 1080p. I've watched 3 episodes so far on them. Don't know why I bothered to record them.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, and from what I've read, the 54 is cheaper to make. Kinda sounds like it might behave like a 24-100.

Rich

19. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I posted a similar message to this on a different topic yesterday (response to: "I upgraded my HR34 today"). After experiencing the Slow, and getting slower HR34, I finally have had enough. With the Fall shows coming out next week, I decided to make my decision. I went on-line yesterday morning and ordered an HR44 from Solid Signal, and finalized the purchase. The on-line purchase menu did not ask me if I already had a Genie. In the early afternoon, I got a call from Solid Signal (Michelle). She called to ask me if I already had a Genie. I told her I had the HR34, and told her why I was purchasing the HR44 (Slowness of the HR34). She knew all about the problem, and only asked me if my intention was to disconnect the HR34 and send it back to DirecTV (told me she is required by DirecTV to ask that question). I told that was exactly what I was going to do. There was no requirement for me to disconnect my HR34 prior to ordering the HR44. My HR44 will be here on Thursday of this week. Hope this helps.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    In all fairness to SS, they are not going to dismiss the reason for you to be buying from them. They will agree to whatever you say is the reason for speeding the money there. Hey, I would as well.