1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR44 with new remote - how to show program/recording progress bar without pausing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LawHawk, Jun 17, 2013.

1. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    With the old remote, while a program is playing, you can hit the play button and it will show how far along you are in the program. Because it's playing and you hit play, it doesn't stop the program. Very unobtrusive.

With the new remote, play/pause is one button. If you hit play/pause, it will obviously pause the program. If you hit Info, it shows all the information at the top of the screen. Is there a way to show that progress bar and nothing else?

I questioned whether this is even worth posting because it is so minor, but I bet others have wondered the same thing.

2. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I miss the Stop button also.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The solution, unfortunately, is to buy one of the old-style remotes from your favorite vendor. You lose RF capability but you get all the other stuff back.

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Not very well thought out by Directv.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Not at all. Very dumb move.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Some dumb survey group probably said they don;t need it without knowing or understanding how to use a dvr in the first place. There's no point in asking people who dont use dvrs a lot which buttons should be on a remote.

7. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I actually think it is a pretty great remote, and the Active button is dead, which I love. But I do wish I could do "play-play" to see my progress.

8. TAnsley

TAnsley AllStar

Sep 20, 2006
    Round Rock,...
    They should add the progress bar when the Info button is pressed...only for recorded shows though :)

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I prefer the buttons to be separate, and I wish the Progress bar would have a one second life setting. As it is, the two second setting is way longer than two seconds; almost four.

But I figure hitting Pause-Play on the same button costs me a tiny fraction of one second in the Pause mode, not enough to severely damage my serenity. Besides, except for movies, I can usually wait till the commercials, at which point there it is anyway.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I actually think it is a pretty great remote, and the Active button is dead, which I love. But I do wish I could do "play-play" to see my progress.

I think they got real real close to perfect, but alas, missed.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It's still not too late for software changes, IMHO. As has been suggested before, RED could act as STOP during recording playback. And SELECT could act as a PROGRESS BAR toggle when watching a recording or live TV.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    PIP toggle PLEASE!

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    PIP toggle PLEASE!

wouldn't they have to make a new remote for this to be able to happen. AFAIK, the new remote has less button to choose from

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    wouldn't they have to make a new remote for this to be able to happen. AFAIK, the new remote has less button to choose from

There are other ways. Like dash key for example. Just make it push and hold for the current status menu and make one press pop up the pip menu by itself on genies. Done and simple and keeping in line with their desire to make the dash key the options menu.

15. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Exactly. Thank you.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There are other ways. Like dash key for example. Just make it push and hold for the current status menu and make one press pop up the pip menu by itself on genies. Done and simple and keeping in line with their desire to make the dash key the options menu.

While this might sound logical to you (and me) DirecTV customer base is vary wide, to include senior citizens. This press and hold thing would not work for them. Hopefully DirecTV does not go this route to add functions to an already crippled remote

17. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    But we already have press and hold for slow motion and input (on the new remote).

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But we already have press and hold for slow motion and input (on the new remote).

This why I say that DirecTV should not go this route to add more options

19. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    But they already have.

What they should have done is had a new remote for the Genies with PIP buttons (and a CC button) and keep the RC71 for the clients.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But they already have.

What they should have done is had a new remote for the Genies with PIP buttons (and a CC button) and keep the RC71 for the clients.

Now this is a GOOD idea.