HR44 zero download speed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by makaiguy, Jun 27, 2020.

1. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    My HR44 has occasionally lost its wifi internet connection over the years but I've always been able to get it re-established and the speed test has pegged out past the 4K mark. But this time I've been trying to re-establish it several times a day for a few days with no success. The system tells me internet connection is established but the speed test results stay pegged at the zero end and internet related stuff tries but fails to work. Once a day or so it tells me I've lost internet and need to set it up again.

I've restarted the router several times, restarted the DTV many more times via menu options, tried a couple of CLEARMYBOX searches, tried all the options in Internet Setup many times, changed my home network's DNS settings, changed the HR44's DNS settings, and today I did a red button HR44 restart, plus did a restart by killing the power. Nothing seems to make any difference.

I can't tell you exactly how long this had been going on, but I see I received DTV firmware 0x13af on 6/23. I'm pretty sure my problem predates this by a few days, but with my memory being what it is and these stay-at-home days all blurring together ...

I should mention through all this none of my other wifi-connected devices have had any problems, my internet download speeds test out at 50 Mbps and I've never had problems downloading multiple streams at once.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Possibly your wireless radio has died in the router. Can you connect to the router wirelessly from any other device like your phone and see if that works?

3. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Phone, tablet, several Roku devices all connect and download via wifi.

4. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I used to get 4k results on the speed test on my HR54 but with the last update 0x13af on 6/16 the best I get is HD, not even 1080p.
    I don't have 4k service but have recorded 1080p form VOD and it looks 1080p, everything that uses internet seems to be working fine so I'm assuming there's a bug on the receiver speed test.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same problem here, but worse ...

HR54 is also on 0x13af and the speedtest results always remain pegged at zero.

Have a 1 gig dwn/up fiber connection and HR54 is connected by coax through a CCK DECA. ...

VOD downloads still work fine though ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

6. JKUCSMA

JKUCSMA New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I have the same problem,software glitch

7. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Looks like I got this 0x13af update on 06/24/2020 too and my speed setting is at zero. It has an 88 code at the end of the test which means:

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 10.17.39 AM.png

Downloading OnDemand content still works for me.

8. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Nothing changing since my first post. I continue to get notices that I need to reconnect to the internet. When I do it goes through the motions and says I'm connected but says my speed is zero.

VOD will start but inevitably goes to long lasting buffering followed by another notice to reconnect.

My 1 smart tv, 3 Rokus, 2 phones, and 2 tablets are having no problems with their wifi internet connections.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just some more of the proverbial "throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks" I guess ....

But did you ever try assigning a static IP to the Genie outside the DHCP range of your router?

And if all else fails, any way of getting ethernet to the Genie or else getting a portion of the satellite coax to the vicinity of the router to connect the Genie (and all other boxes) to the internet through a CCK DECA?

I wonder if this latest "problematic" DIRECTV update is causing the Genie not to play well with your router, at least over WiFi.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    When I run the download speed test, I am also seeing the indicator pointing to zero. However, I ran a quick test by downloading an on-demand program, it it completed quickly, an indication that my device is receiving normal internet speeds. I have a HR54-700 running 0x13af, which is connected using WiFi.

Based on my experience, this is a cosmetic issue likely to be fixed in a future FW release.

BrotherSunday likes this.
  11. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    My router won't let me assign a static IP outside its DHCP range, but I've had a designated IP for this within the DHCP range for years.
    I tried using an old internet-over-house-wiring setup that I haven't used in years. It failed to connect but I don't know if the setup still worked. I no longer have an Ethernet-equipped laptop I can use to see if it can connect using this system. Somewhere I've got a long Ethernet cable I can snake down the hall to try a direct connection.
    Well this IS an old discontinued Western Digital wifi router that has served me well for years, but it IS getting kinda long in the tooth. I can't be sure but I think this all started before receiving the recent update.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Humm .... that's interesting. ...

As I've never had a router that blocked me from assigning a client a static IP address outside it's DHCP range. ...

Oh well, ... anyway, to be clear though, you sure there's no practical way to get any part of the DIRECTV satellite coax anywhere near the router, or perhaps near an ethernet switch on your home network that connects back to the router?

13. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Funny, it never occurred to me to try prior to reading your suggestion. It lets me go through the motions and save the change, but if I exit the interface then log back in, it was dropped from the static assignment table altogether, so I just put it back to where it was, in the DHCP range. Interestingly, the DHCP assignment it was given was the same as it had previously.

No, no practical way. I've had several unsuccessful back operations and crawling around my crawl space or climbing around the HVAC ductwork in my attic is a thing of the past, I fear. When I locate that long Ethernet cable I'll test out a wired connection as a troubleshooting measure. But although it's an annoyance, it's really not that big a deal and I don't know how much more effort I'm willing to put into it. Maybe it's time to put that Protection Plan I've been paying for to use ...

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nearly every router I have used has had a place to define the network (Minimum LAN IP and Mask) and separate DHCP settings within that range. If you want to use a fixed IP outside of the DHCP range you set it on the device needing the IP.

I have only seen a couple of devices where the DHCP range had to be the entire LAN (not cool).
    The newer routers will let me do a specific DHCP reservation by MAC address.

BrotherSunday likes this.
  15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    As James notes, did you try to setup the static IP on the client (DIRECTV box in this case) and the router still blocks you?

As that's where it should be, not in the router settings ....

And yes by all means use the PP if you have one. And I'd recommend you have the tech. install a wired internet connection, which are always better anyway. ...

(If it's not too intrusive should drilling a hole somewhere or some other be necessary of course).

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Set the dhcp range to say 50 to 150.

Set a reserved address for the device at say 50

Save it

Reboot if you like

Then change the reserved ip range back to say 100 to 200.

The reserved address should still be there and be just fine. And the device will always get that address.

This show it works and works well with a Linksys router anyway. So I’d try it on any router myself.

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    With y'alls help I have managed to get my HR44 set up with what I know is a static IP outside the DHCP Range, but has made no difference. Still dropping the connection. Tried viewing a short VOD from TCM - got maybe 5 min into it when it started the checking connection routine and eventually popped up notice connection was lost, did I want to set it up now or later?

Anybody got the direct phone number for Protection Plan support for an account that's been shuffled over to ATT?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  18. ron_s

ron_s DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

May 27, 2020
    I've had this issue since I received software version 0x12e7 on 6/7. I received 0x13af on 6/30, and I'm still experiencing the issue. So it's definitely not a problem with your system or home networking hardware.

My HR44-500 is plugged in via ethernet and I have Atlantic Broadband gigabit connection; all my other devices (connected both via Ethernet and WiFi) work just fine with the expected speeds.

My problem is the zero download speed, and it telling me that my current speed can't watch 1080p, but I can watch in HD now. If I press to watch now it will "optimize video for playback" for 10 or 15 seconds, play about 5 seconds of the video, and then tell me that my internet connection is too slow to watch now, and it gives me the option to "Watch Later," "Don't Record," or "Optimize Network." Respectively, the choices lead to it downloading the video (really slowly), leaving the video in the playlist with a pending record status with zero minutes recorded (as opposed to deleting it, which you would think the Don't Record option would've done), and showing me a screen instructing me to reduce network congestion and interference and urging me to call my ISP to upgrade my internet plan. I don't get the disconnect notices like you do, so I'm lucky for that.

I guess the only thing we can do is wait. Although I did notice a new option with this update, when pressing dash twice to view SWiM and Internet connection status, you used to press Select to dismiss that screen, but now there's a new Next button where the OK button used to be which shows a Send Report screen (screenshot included).

Vaguely related, my TV apps still work just fine speed-wise, so it seems to just be an issue with the DTV downloads. However, It's impossible to use Locast now because using the remote scroll the Locast channels instead starts double play or opens quick tune. So really the only Locast channel you can watch is the first one that's highlighted, by pressing Select. E7BEE064-9F7E-4F43-AB4E-BEEF992D8CD3.jpeg 69654566-527F-489B-BC76-0B427726BC39.jpeg

19. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Ron - [best Arte Johnson quasi-German accent] ver-r-ry interesting! [/accent]. I'm on AtlanticBB too, in Aiken SC. I think my call tomorrow will be to them rather than DTV. (Would still like the PP support phone no. if anyone has it handy.)

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    1-855-422-1614