1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR54 30 Seconds to Load Playlist

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by raromr, Aug 11, 2017.

1. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    After 9 months and over 10 service calls my issue still persists. In a nutshell whenever I press List for the playlist to come up on my HR54 (have 3 other HR24s on MRV), the list takes up to 30 seconds to load and no commands are able to stop it from loading until it loads. It is VERY frustrating. DTVs final solution is live with it or cancel.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you powered off your HR24's so the HR54 isn't also pulling their playlist how's the response time? If it's fine then I'd power back on one HR24 at a time and try it again to see how it's performing, maybe it's one of them slowing things down.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would Add- "POWERING HR24 OFF" You need to Unplug then from each ac port! Turning them off only- the HR54 will still pull their play list as the dvr is never really off.

Another way is to go to each hr24 anf through the menu turn off play list sharing - That may be a bit easier for ya to test with.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Some of my HRs take quite a bit of time to load the Playlist. I never timed it, but it's kinda annoying.

Rich

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You guys are working to hard. Start simply by choosing only local playlist in the playlist options. I wouldn’t be surprised if that helped. A little more info would help narrow down the issue imho...

Although 4 DVRs it probably will take a moment to load.

How exactly is your system setup? Is it all deca? Or you using an old ether u supported system? If so please detail it.

How’s internet connected?

Did you add esata drives to any or all of your hr’s?

How full are the DVRs if shows?

6. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    Answers:

How exactly is your system setup? Is it all deca? Or you using an old ether u supported system? If so please detail it. DECA coax

How’s internet connected? hard wired to router

Did you add esata drives to any or all of your hr’s? No

How full are the DVRs if shows? all are 90+% FREE

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Hard wired how exactly? One Ethernet to the genie only or do you have a deca somewhere specifically for the Ethernet?

I really suggest seeing how performance is with playlist set to local before any other changes, but I’d also test the system with The deca cloud disconnected from the home network by simply unplugging the one Ethernet cable ( since you should have only one plugged in for the entire system). We have seen routers and other things on a network help slow down receivers.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    (1) Shouldn't have to do this, I had 12 HRs running a year or so ago and had no problems with the Playlist.

(2) Again, this delay wasn't as noticeable a year or so ago as it is today.

(3) I had an Ethernet MRV system for about a year before going to the Deca system and didn't see much, if any, difference between the two systems.

(4) The external HDDs shouldn't slow the Playlist, I have one 24 with an external HDD and that 24-200 has no issues. The externals I had on most of my HRs at one time didn't seem to slow the Playlist down.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In a perfect world your system should be working perfectly. Before anyone questions your "hard wired to router" system, it's an acceptable way to connect, should be trouble free. The router won't cause any problems.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't see how a router would cause any problems if he's just using it as a workstation switch. I can tell you an HR that's set to "Local" on the Playlist will show the Playlist slightly quicker than if set to "All" but that's not the point, the Playlists on my HRs don't usually just pop up as they used to. I'm not about to set them all for "Local", that would be settling.

Rich

11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Was having the same problem with an HR44, but not until a couple weeks ago. It wasn't consistent, and not related to the :20 :50 lockup (which it still does).

Multiple RBR seems to have fixed the playlist wait for the time being.

For what it's worth, it is connected by deca to two other DVRs (HR20 and HR21) neither of which have a very big playlist. Plus, most of the time HR44 is set to local.

Also there's an H25 receiver in the deca system. Only after a recent restart or power failure do I ever have to wait for the complete playlist to appear in that unit.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I really think the delay we see from time to time is another software problem that will be ignored. I was using my 24-200 yesterday and saw no delays on the Playlist on that DVR. If it was constant I'd be more concerned.

Rich

13. jones_hdtv

jones_hdtv AllStar

Oct 4, 2011
    This has been going on my HR44 for approximately two years.

General observations of how the problem occurs on my STB.

1. Intermittently happens when recording Dodger baseball on channels 721-749.
    2. I do not remember it happening when the HR44 is not recording an event.
    3. When the problem occurs, if you scroll down the list away from the Dodger entry and then exit back to watching TV. Later if you hit the back button to go back to the list, the list will come back immediately. If you then scroll up, when you get to the Dodger entry the problem might occur again.

Note: everyone uses the UI differently so there are probably other ways to get this to happen.

RANT***
    When I first got my HR44 3 1/2 years ago it was a pretty quick STB.
    DTV software has pretty much killed this box. My suspicions is that in trying to fix the HR34 they screwed everything up and probably left debug code in the production version and sometimes it just goes out to never never land and we have to wait until it comes back.

This is why I use my HR44 as a server most of the time.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, they're all quick and responsive when new and empty. Then the bloatware comes in and slows them down. I really don't think all this is a hardware issue, it's gotta be the software. The killer is, nobody at D* seems to care. Nothing new there and you really can't blame the merger, this has been going on for years.

Rich

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They are like a pick up truck. It is rated for a half ton. You go get a 250 lb load and it works perfect. In this case the load is added software.
    Then you get a bigger and bigger load until the limit is exceeded. The tail drags the ground and it is riding on the frame but it still works. You just have to go a lot slower now.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My point on this is: Why didn't they know this would happen? It's happened to every DVR D* has put out. And all D* does is hype the next "great" DVR, which will be "great" until some time passes and it slows down. You'd think they would future proof it since they have to know it's gonna happen. Assuming they "know", but I have my doubts.

Rich

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't know that you can build an electronic device that is future proof. The parts speed and capacity advance so fast.
    If it were possible and they did that, no one would ever want a new one.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    The more shows it has to load across more devices the longer it takes. And i think there is more and more going on with the info contained within the databases it takes longer now. This is the same general principal as you saying keep your hard drive half full. I’ve just not had an issue with that on a genie ever, but I have seen when I have multiple DVRs with massive amounts of recorded material it does slow the speed slightly for me. Not this much or enough to care about but it does. Simply looking at local only may show is if this is where the issue is resulting from. Also could mean there is a bug causing the DVRs to take more time pulling remote playlists... I’m not saying you should have to do this, just lets see what happens...

With regards to Ethernet only or a hybrid system with both Ethernet and deca for some DVRs,... Just because it doesn’t always cause issues doesn’t mean it can’t. I always look for any variables that could be looked at or eliminated as a possible source of the issue.

I also agree an external drive should not cause any issues, but again, they could so should double check. Heck it could be going bad, I think you had a bad enclosure once didn’t you?

As for the router, well, if it’s causing some sort of ip address issues it might be causing some of this as well. Also could be something else on the network. It’s hard to know for sure without isolating the system and checking. Example... I lost power a while back, and while most my stuff is on a battery backup, not everything is. And something that isn’t pulled new address while stuff that was off and on battery backup didn’t pull a new address. And guess what, my entire network was dog slow. Took me a few to figure out it was ip conflicts causing issues... weird stuff happens...

I believe using a different system that hasn’t had issues caused by variables is not the best way to trouble shoot any problem, although can be used as a reference point somewhat. I always prefer to just go strait to tell me all the variables, and then let’s remove as many of them as we can and see if the issue still exists. If it does, then we know specifically where the issue is coming from. If removing the variables removes the issues then it’s also easier to find out where the issue is coming from....

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you go back to your truck analogy, you use a bigger truck to haul the heavy loads, no? The DVRs D* has produced never had sufficient storage capacities and sticking a much larger HDD in or on them did help. They could have at least attempted to future proof them instead of just sticking the same small HDDs in them (I do understand the 24s had bigger HDDs than the Series 2 HRs, and I do understand the Genies have a 1TB drive in them, which I think is too small). Now they come out with the 17, will that 2TB drive be too small? History tells us it will, eventually.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't know what would happen if all my HRs were close to full, that's never happened. When I started putting 2TB drives in or on my HRs I did it knowing I wouldn't fill them much over 1TB. I do know the Playlist slowdowns are relatively recent and I don't see the slowness every time I use the Playlist. Again, I think this is something new. Every time I delete a program there's a very annoying delay getting back to where I can watch something. That's also new.

About the Ethernet MRV system I had. I did not see any difference at all after I switched to Deca. It worked, I changed to Deca, it still worked. I can only say what I saw.

Yes, I've had several enclosure failures, none of them caused the software to act strangely. The HDDs just wouldn't connect but they didn't influence the other HRs in any way. And when an HDD goes bad it's really apparent. The bad HDDs don't cause what we're talking about.

You keep hitting the routers as a cause, if the TS has a router that he's using in the same manner as a workstation switch he's gonna see the same thing he would if he used a workstation switch, a hardwired connection. Nothing the router does (except fail catastrophically) is gonna cause any problems, if he was using Wifi (oh goody, another way to write Wi Fi from my spellchecker) I could see something like you suggested happening.

The last paragraph of your post: If you troubleshoot in that manner, removing (or fixing) all the variables at once might fix the problem, but you won't know which variable caused the problem. Unless you have to get something running immediately you should always take your time and address each variable individually, I think. Again, just my opinion...and it ain't a HUMBLE opinion.

Rich