HR54/500 resetting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by orbit626, Jan 20, 2020.

1. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    My receiver has developed a nasty habit of resetting itself randomly since getting the 0x12dc update on the 7th of this month...around 1-2 times a week. However, in the last 24-36 hours or so, it has done it probably 5 times that I'm aware of. I've checked all the wiring inside and out, and everything there seems fine. I also tried CLEARMYBOX. The other dvr, an HR24/100 with firmware 0xc25 has not had any issues. We also have a C61K, but its only on a couple of times a week and I haven't noticed anything while using it.

I know I'm gonna have to most likely get a replacement sent out, but I've been reluctant to call due to not wanting to lose all my recordings. So I'm curious if anyone else has run into this? I'm thinking it could just be a bad update since that's when this started, but honestly not sure. There is only around 20% space available, but not sure if that would cause this either.

I know from past experience that if you disconnect a "regular hd dvr" from the dish before it gets deactivated you can still access recordings...does this apply to the Genie as well? Never had to do it.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sounds like a dying hard drive. Have you tried running its diagnostics?

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My 44 had the random reboots problem. That was the only thing wrong with it at the time and I couldn't justify a replacement. A software update, a NR, came down and it never rebooted randomly again. I'd wait for the next update, see if that fixes it. You don't see anything else wrong? Not more audio or video breakups than normal? No massive pixellations? If all you're seeing is random reboots I would not think the HDD is the problem. Not saying it's not the HDD, just doubt it.

Yes, you can save the recordings just disconnect the coax before any HR is deactivated.

Rich

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    From my experience with these things those diagnostics only point at damn near dead HDDs.

Rich

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Running a System Test I agree with your statement. Running a BIST (Built-in Self Test) I don't agree with your statement. A BIST is far more in-depth.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never ran a BIST, never saw the need. I dump HDDs at the first sign they're going south. But, I can do that, I have a 24-100 that has an HDD in it that doesn't trigger an error but is shot. I'll do it right now, I don't think it will show up as bad but I'm curious. I know the System Test will not flag a marginal HDD, that I have tried. Now, you're gonna have to tell me how to run that BIST...I'll sit here and wait...

Rich

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Reset your receiver. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BIST menu. Follow the prompts.

8. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks for the input!

Just to update, I did run diagnostics on the hdd, and both tests came out ok. I cleared the cache as well. I'll see how she goes, but I'm gonna try to hold out for the next firmware before getting a replacement if I can. Good thing the Stars don't play until Monday :D

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ran all the tests had no errors. This is what I meant about the tests, they don't seem to see marginal HDDs as bad enough to generate an error message. And I know the HDD in that 24-100 is shot. Still "works" but you can't watch anything it has recorded. Massive pixellations. Put the external SSD back on it and it works as it should. I did find the diagnostics interesting.

Rich

242424 likes this.
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't remember if one update cured my random reboots. Might have been a couple. I was so disgusted with the 44 at that point I didn't pay much attention to it. But it never does it anymore.

Rich

11. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    So, the problem has persisted, as it has reset 3 times in the past 12 hours or so while watching.

Called them up and blah blah, was told that they couldn't see anything wrong on their end. The rep told me that sometimes the firmware update doesn't "take" correctly and can cause the issue, even if its been awhile since getting one. So she rebooted it from her end and all that jazz. Basically she said to wait a few more days and to call back if it continues and they'll replace it.

All in all, I wasn't told anything I didn't already know or thought about it, but at least they have the info on my account now, lol.

On a side note, I had a heck of a time getting a human on the phone. The lovely robot kept telling me that the department # I called was no longer valid, and to call back the same one I dialed (800-531-5000). I've been with DTV since pretty much the start, and never really had any issues getting an actual person, but I did get Starz/Showtime free for 3 months for my troubles.

Not really looking forward to the most likely imminent follow up call :tongueclosed:

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't imagine what "they couldn't see anything wrong on their end" means. You might have to get the box replaced.

Rich

13. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    Correct you are sir. However, it's odd... After the tech I talked to on Jan. 23 did whatever it was she did, I had no more resets or any other issues.

Then I got the latest 0x12e5 update on Friday Jan. 31 and the issue returned in full force the next day. Even did it 3 times during the Super Bowl when the only reciever in the house that was on was the 4k client. Totally missed KC's comeback.

So a replacement HR54 is on the way, hopefully arriving today, but really don't know because I have yet to get a tracking number or anything.

So I have a couple/few questions that maybe you, or anyone else, might be able to answer...

1) IIRC, in the past when getting a replacement, I did not get a power cord or anything. Just the reciever. This is the first time I've had a genie replaced, so I wonder if I should expect the same? I'm just curious if perhaps the power supply isn't the cause or part of it, and the update aspect is just coincidence.

2) Could a grounding problem cause this? I'm not sure about this tho since the HR24 has been fine (knock on wood).

3) Is there anyway to stop updates? ;) :p :D

Thanks, a have a good one everyone! :)

14. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. The replacement should at least come with a power cord. I doubt this is a power supply issue.
    2. Doubtful.
    3. No way to stop updates.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    1) Each replacement I've received recently came with a new remote and new HDMI cable and new power cable and even component wires. Nice package.
    2) Kinda doubt the grounding thing in your case.
    3) Like taxes, they just keep coming.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been pleasantly surprised by the package that comes with replacements these days.

Rich

17. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    So I got the replacement genie, this one is a 54-700...which I believe just means it was made by a different manufacturer.

When installing it, an odd thing occurred... I have an idea what, but let me try to explain as best as I can, because it is confusing.

When I disconnected the sat coax from the old genie, the hr24 popped the 775 error (dish communication error). It did not go away until the new genie powered up. From my understanding, this is because the genie powers the lnb, and that was lost while connecting the new one, as the 24 has no power inserter. Here is what I find odd about this tho...when my old genie was rebooting all the time, the 24 never went out. I could totally unplug the 54 from the power outlet, and not lose programing on the 24. I know this because I had to move it (54) for easier access while troubleshooting when all this started last month.

There has been no change at all to the wiring anywhere. The only difference is the new genie. So why would this suddenly become a thing? If the old 54 had some kind of issue with supplying power to the dish, then where was said dish getting its power from without a power inserter? I do know that before "upgrading" to the genie, there was a power inserter on the 24 line, but they took that off when doing the install of the genie.

I'd post pics, but currently dont have a way to do so as my phones camera quit. Our setup is a slimline 3lnb (no reverse band) with 4 lines connected to a zinwell 8ch multi-switch, and a 2 way splitter. The two lines from that go to the 24, and to the 4k client. The 54 is a straight run to the swm2 port on the multi-switch. This has been this way since they did the installation of the genie a couple years back.

I normally would not care about this, but my elderly mother lives with me, and I foresee a major pain if the genie needs to reboot for whatever reason, as she loves her tv, lol. I find it ridiculous that if the genie goes out, the 24 does too. Especially when it didn't before.

So, can I connect a power inserter on the 24 line with the setup I have? I have spares, a 29v one as well as a 21v. I'm sure I'd have to do some re-wiring, but I'm ok with that. I used to do installs waaay back in the day when USSB was a thing, remotes were labeled rca, and dvrs were a pipe-dream, lol.

Sorry for any confusion with the above info, but I cant get my head around this. And, even tho it probably goes without saying, dtv tech support was not helpful. "That's how it works" was the answer. If that's the case, how in the heck did it not do it before?

Thanks again for any insight! :tonguewink::D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  18. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    https://manuals.solidsignal.com/SWM8%20Install%20LR.pdf shows an illustration of the SWM8 multiswitch, and how to wire to it. One problem is that the HR54 should connect to the SWM1 port, which is the power passing port (to power the switch and the LNB). You don't say where the 2-way splitter is connected (SWM1 perhaps?).

My suggestion is to get a 4-way green label DirecTV splitter. Connect it to the SWM1 port of the multiswitch. Get a 29V power inserter and connect that to the power passing port on the splitter (red line from input to output - see the referenced pdf). Then connect your HR54, HR24, and client to the other three ports on the 4 port splitter.

That way, the dish is being run by the separate power inserter so it won't matter which, if either, DVR is shut down or rebooting or whatever. The other should continue to run just fine.

Solid Signal can help you with the splitter and power inserter.

19. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you very much carl6, I really appreciate it!

I have a 4 way splitter en route, and should be here next week. I went ahead and got another zinwell multiswitch as well just in case, as the current one is pretty old. Ended up getting them from Amazon as I had a lot of reward points :)

To add, yes, the 2 way splitter is on the swm1 port.

Thanks again!

20. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    So I got the stuff I ordered, but its been too dang cold to bother with it, lol. I did however have a reverse band lnb fall into my lap so to speak...

A new neighbor from a couple miles away was looking for his dog, and while talking with him, he noticed my DTV. He's a Dish customer, but apparently the person who lived in the house prior to him had left their slimline in the garage, and he offered it to me, so I took it.

This is the lnb that was attatched: DIRECTV Reverse Band 5 UHD 4K LNB for Slimline Satellite Dish (5D2RBLNB) from Solid Signal

And here is my current one: DIRECTV Slimline 3 LNB for HD Satellites 99 101 and 103 (SL3) from Solid Signal

From reading about it, it would seem that I can just put the RB on my current slimline, and not have to deal with a multiswitch, and connect it to the 4 way splitter I just received. Is that correct? I never got the reverse band installed when I got my upgrade to 4k. I don't know if that lnb works tho, as I haven't tried it yet, but thought Id ask here. My main concern is whether or not my dish would need to be realigned.

Thanks again!

He found his dog btw :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020