HR54-500 Running Out Of Space

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by utbronco, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Apr 8, 2019 #1 of 66
    utbronco

utbronco Mentor

Dec 26, 2007
    I continue to have problems keeping up with this HR54. It is always on the edge of running out of space, last night showing only 6% free space. I proactively deleted many many recorded shows and it didn't seem to be gaining much ground until I deleted one 30 minute show which then all of a sudden showed me at 20% free space. That made me think about defragging like I do on my Laptop. Is there a way to defrag the HR54 without having to "Reset Everything" and then rebuild my lists and losing all of my existing recordings?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer.

Thank You for your help!!!

2. Apr 8, 2019 #2 of 66
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You run your 54 at that capacity and you are gonna have problems. I let my 44 run up to about three quarters full and thought I had a buggy 24 on my hands. That happened once. I deleted almost everything and the 44 started working better. I think keeping an HDD no more than half full is the best way to keep any HR running well, just my opinion. How to solve your problem? Put a much bigger HDD on it. Pretty sure you can go up to 10TBs on a Genie, that would allow you to put a lot of content on that HDD and still keep it at a level of capacity that will allow the 54 to run properly.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. Apr 8, 2019 #3 of 66
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anything you do will just be a quick fix that won't last. You can run diagnostics and do resets and you might get some relief but you have to take better care of your hard drive, keep the capacity a lot lower.

Rich

4. Apr 8, 2019 #4 of 66
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like you need to take a serious look at your Series manager and maybe delete some less important things that are getting recorded.
    I record some 1/2 hour shows almost every day of the week. I do record just so I can FF thru the commercials.
    As soon as I watch it, I then delete it. Same thing with many shows that come on once a week.

You know, having said that, I would ask, "How many Episodes do you have the Series set for" ? Changing that if you have it set high to maybe just 3 or 2 would cut down on the number retained because the software will delete the oldest one when it starts recording episode #4 if it is set to 3.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Rich likes this.
  5. Apr 8, 2019 #5 of 66
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    The obvious long-term solution is to add a large external drive so that space never becomes an issue. I keep quite a few recordings, but I rarely go below 90% free space. Of course, switching to an external drive causes all existing recordings to be lost, so for some, it may be a hard choice.

6. Apr 8, 2019 #6 of 66
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anything to keep that HDD from filling up is gonna help.

Rich

7. Apr 8, 2019 #7 of 66
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, power users using the internal drives the HRs come with are always gonna have problems. Bigger is better when you're a power user and thinking about capacity.

Rich

8. Apr 8, 2019 #8 of 66
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope
    only by reformatting HDD eg lost all lists

9. Apr 8, 2019 #9 of 66
    utbronco

utbronco Mentor

Dec 26, 2007
    I'm reading that having my HR54 so full could also be causing other problems I'm working through almost daily. Some of you mentioned an external hard drive up to 1TB for the Genie. Do I get such a device from Directv? What are your recommendations? Thanks again!! With your help I'll get this issue taken care of!!

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    10 TB, not 1.

And it won't be an additional 10 TB. While using the external drive, you can't access the internal drive. Shut the system down, disconnect the external drive, then restart. Now you can use your internal drive.

Might I suggest you're setting yourself up to losing all your shows? When your 44 dies or is replaced, everything you have recorded from that device is lost as the recordings can only be played on that device.

11. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    You need to purchase the external drive yourself. There is a thread here that provides a lot of information WRT types of external drives, eSATA drive enclosures, etc. Since you will lose the recordings on the internal drive, don’t skimp on the new external drive capacity or you will find yourself back in the same situation down the road. Consider at least a 4TB drive, or even bigger.

12. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    A couple of posts here mention you will 'lose' the recordings on your internal drive if you add an external drive. My understanding is you will not 'lose' the recordings on your internal drive. They will still be there. To watch them, just unplug your external drive and restart your HR54.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nobody did state that, everyone knows - it's temporary loss because of DVR limitation: supporting only one HDD

14. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Check posts #5 & #11

trh and MysteryMan like this.
  15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Pretty sure most of us understood what was written in those two posts but you're right, I can see where the confusion came from. You lose no programming on the internal drive when you install an external drive. You just can't access the programming easily and I'd think most folks would not go thru the process of accessing the internal drive after installing an external. In that case the content is sorta "lost".

Rich

16. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I was trying to clarify that for the OP (not most here), mostly because he has a crap-load of stuff on his DVR, and it seemed from his questions he's not as knowledgeable as some of us here (not that I'm an expert by any means).

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understood, no problems.

Rich

Athlon646464 likes this.
  18. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    :D

Rich likes this.
  19. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    It is hard for me to imagine anyone going to the trouble of switching back and forth between an external drive and an internal drive, even though it is possible.

20. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    For me, it’s quite simple. On my genie, I have the internal 6TB drive to load up on 4K programming, and the other external 6TB drive with no 4K programs. The ‘hardest’ part was programming same series links to both drives, so the wife’s programs record no matter which drive I have active at the time. When there’s a lack of 4K that interests me, I just utilize the external drive for longer periods of time.

Honestly, it’s two button presss in a row when I want to switch. It doesn’t really get much easier than that.

Rich likes this.