HR54-500: Shows pixelate, stutter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gnahc79, Oct 20, 2017.

1. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    For a few months now nearly every recording encounters a brief pixelation and stutter. It lasts 1-2 seconds and happens a few times during a 1 hr show.
    - the behavior happens at the same point during the recording even if we rewind and play it again -> likely rules out the HDMI cable and TV
    - I did a restart a while back -> still get the problem behavior
    - signal test seems fine, I will post screenshots.

time to call directv to roll a truck? We've had service with directv for over 10 yrs, so I'm familiar with general troubleshooting. We got a new dish and the HR54 almost 1 yr ago. At that time everything was playing fine.

no 4K, just 1080p to a Yamaha RX-V679 to Samsung UN55H7150A using HDMI

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    I am in northern California

Attached Files:

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Those numbers are low, not terrible, but low. I've heard in California the signal strengths tend to be lower, but I think that was in SoCal. I'd see about either trying to align the dish better yourself or having a tech do it for you.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what FW version your HR54 do run ?

as many times recommend here (and it does work !) connect HDMI directly from DVR to TV and use optical cable from TV to AVR for sound

5. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    I have the FW from 9/8.

I may try the optical cable +hdmi. I really doubt that's the problem since the pixelation occurs at the same part of a recording even when we rewind and play the recording.
    Going to call directv today as well, thanks for the input so far!

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They wouldn’t be low in Los Angeles. As you say not sure up north though.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what version ?

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Okay, it's not the HDMI cable. If you are firm about that, I believe you. Now you're down to two choices, the HDD or the HR itself. Can't tell if you have an MRV system. That would help. If you only have the 54 the only thing you can do is get an external device and put an external HDD on the 54. If that shows the same problem you have a bad 54. If you don't see the problem you have a bad internal HDD. I don't know what else to suggest. Or wait for the next NR, that might fix it.

Rich

9. Nov 7, 2017 #9 of 10
    gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    It seems my issue is like everyone else's general issue listed in this thread. On CNN a one hour show has no pixelation. No issues on the kids channels either, Nick, Disney etc. On Food Network recently, sound glitches every once in a while. On locals like ABC and CW, fewer pixelations than when I first posted this issue, one or two now vs 4-5 per one hour show a while back.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    That's the current situation for many people. Changing your equipment won't help.