HR54-500 with external HD keeps resetting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by eaglesfan27, Jun 30, 2020.

1. eaglesfan27

eaglesfan27 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    Good afternoon everyone,

I have an HR54-500 Genie and last night my box updated to 0x13af. Ever since that update, my Genie is resetting every 20 minutes if I leave the external HD plugged in. If I unplug it, it functions fine. A few questions: Are other people seeing this? Is there a way to roll back the update? Anyone know any workarounds? I want to be able to watch shows on my external HD but right now it is nearly impossible with the constant resets.

Edit: My genie is HR54-500 not 700 but I can't edit the title.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check the software on the drive in the box. It probably is an older version that will probably update tonight.

You could have installed a corrupt software stream,
    You might try forcing the software to update on the external drive.
    Reset the 54 and as soon as some text comes to the screen type in 0 2 4 6 8
    Wait til it get finished.

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Not saying it is this but it could be at some point...

According to Solid Signal you are on borrowed time with a Genie and an external drive:

IS IT TRUE? DIRECTV no longer offers eSATA support?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Stuart's Solid Signal blog article is a year old and eSATA still works. Worst case you could mount your eSATA drive inside the DVR.

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. Jul 1, 2020 #5 of 13
    codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I will add....

A magnetic drive, sure- no problem. But a SSD drive, I would advise against this. It doesn’t generate enough heat to speed up the fan cooling, but heats up enough to possibly cause heat related damage to the SSD. I found that out with a Sammy SSD 1TB drive last year.

6. Jul 1, 2020 #6 of 13
    Notthecableguy

Notthecableguy Cool Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Yes, I and at least a few others have problems with 0x13af that did not exist with 0x12e7. 13af causes frequent reboots and actually causes 2-3 second freezes on other boxes in my system. Reverting to 12e7 when that was available fixed the problems. It appears the 13af problem is related to larger drives or a larger number of recorded programs. Using a small, empty drive allows 13af to work fine but I have no confidence that will continue once it begins to fill up.

This is for a HR54-500.

7. Jul 1, 2020 #7 of 13
    eaglesfan27

eaglesfan27 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    How do I revert to 12e7? How do I stop it from automatically re-loading 0x13af?

8. Jul 1, 2020 #8 of 13
    Notthecableguy

Dec 25, 2005
    Whenever DIRECTV updates the firmware, they do it in stages. Some boxes get the update in the early morning hours but after that happens the national stream reverts to the previous version. It appears this process is repeated daily (?every other day) until all of the boxes receive the update. Right now it appears that only 13af is in the stream.

You cannot stop it from happening unless you unplug your receiver each night. That would be a real pain.

The firmware that is currently streaming can be found at:

https://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php?list

9. Jul 1, 2020 #9 of 13
    eaglesfan27

eaglesfan27 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    Thank you.

10. Notthecableguy

Dec 25, 2005
    You are welcome. I am hoping this gets fixed in a future firmware update but there is no way I know of to be sure that will happen.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right. I did put the first SSD in the 44 but after reading more about the SSDs I took it out and mounted a TT dock on the 44. I don't recall having any problems but what I read was enough to make me go the external route.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  12. InFlight

InFlight New Member

Saturday
    Hello Gents - I am new here but not new to DTV (member since 2001) I have a HR54R1/700 with an upgraded internal HD (10TB WD)...no external HD. The internal HD has been solid...without any issues ever.

On Tue 6/30/20 the HR54 updated to 0x13af...ever since then it reboots about every 20 min. If I unplug the DTV coaxial...it does not reboot ever! I watched hours of pre-recorded shows the last few nights from the HD. Soon as I plug in the DTV coax - it will go back to rebooting.

I have done resets myself..."+" shut off the receiver / pulled the card...nothing works. I also did a system test and not errors.

I called DTV Tech Support (what a joke) they are clueless...and of course, they want to send a service tech out to my home (I didn't schedule it to happen).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to either roll back to the last OS version or to fix this without me wiping my internal HD?

Please advise.

Thank you

JB

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This happens every once in a while after updates. The next update will correct it...probably. Nothing you can do and you are not alone. Talking to the folks at D* that think they are technicians will do nothing for you. Have patience and don't worry about the HDD you have mounted internally. The HDD isn't the problem, when you wrote this you convinced me the HDD was OK: If I unplug the DTV coaxial...it does not reboot ever! I watched hours of pre-recorded shows the last few nights from the HD. Soon as I plug in the DTV coax - it will go back to rebooting.

Rich