HR54 CEC capability

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Matt L, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Bought an LG CX OLED a month ago. loving it - except how it interacts with my Hr24 that is connected to my AVR - it just does not see it. Been fighting with D to get a 54, they hold on to them as if they were gold. Right now I have 7 DVRs - 2 HR20s and the rest HR24s, been with D for 19 years, no contract. I'm wondering if the HR54 has better CEC functionality and it's worth the effort to get.

The CX sees everything connected to my Marantz 7010 and allows switching with the remote. I'm trying to limit the number of remotes, I do have a Harmony but the LG remote functions better with the TV than the Harmony for me.

I installed a SWM21 reverse LNB but do not see any reason to add 4K service that is so limited. I do all my own installs, my experiance with D installers is poor and will never let them set foot in my home especially now. I'm looking at the used market, lots of HR54s on ebay and even Amazon. I am well acquainted with the issues off buying on ebay, all but one of my DVRs are owned, bought off ebay with clean numbers. Spend a lot of time with D in the past checking receiver numbers. D offered me a HR54 for $199 but seems a bit steep, willing to go $99 but they wont budge.

Will the 54 function better in my setup or is it a wash?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    it should,
    but each new combination of TV (with each version of its FW), your AVR (own FW) and DVR (other own FW version) in such "3D" matrix would require a series of test to fill out the matrix :(

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If you are planning on staying with DIRECTV for the foreseeable future then you should upgrade to a Genie (HR54 or HS17). The HR24s debuted in 2010 and are aging. The HR54 debuted in 2015. It has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It's HDMI output is 1.4. It can be connected to a TV and works with receivers, DVRs and clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client which has a HDMI output of 2.0. The HR54 works with one 4K stream at once. The HS17 debuted in 2017. It has a 2 TB Hard Drive. It is a headless server and cannot be connected to a TV. It only works with clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HS17 works with two 4K streams at once. Either Genie will function better with you setup.

4. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Is there some reason you need all those DVRs? In the past, all of that redundancy was a need but today? Not so much.

I've found the HS17 to be rock solid with clients and the single DVR holds plenty. But I rarely use it. For most of the stuff I watch, I can always stream the shows I might have missed.

I'm not saying it's right for everyone, but it's worth considering to streamline everything.

Edit to add that it the CEC works quite nicely to switch inputs on my Vizio. Hit any button on the remote the TV switches immediately to DTV from the Roku.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Want a HR54? Easy Call 1-800-531-5000 and say 4K upgrade --keeping your current setup will get you a HR54 ASAP as the HS-17 on your account and NO HD OR HDDVRS are allowed on your account --(HINT) NO longer Self installs since AT&T took over --Depending on your current Channel Package --NO extra CHARGE for 4K Service (except for hardware C61K)

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Sorry, but I don't understand your post. Are you saying you have multiple HR24s and none of them work correctly for CEC when connected thru your 7010? Or just one of them? How do you have 5 HR24 s connected thru your 7010? Seems to me this is far more likely to be a 7010 problem than an HR24 one.

WestDC likes this.
  7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Just an FYI... don't touch anything on the used market "owned" or not. AT&T doesn't activate owned receivers any more. You likely won't be able to activate a used receiver of any kind regardless of status. YMMV of course. When I wanted to upgrade to a HR54, I was looking at eBay as well and got scared off not being able to activate. The story changes day to day, but honestly I wouldn't risk it.

If you've tried the general CSR dept and the Loyalty Dept... the last suggestion I would offer you is to try tech support. CSR and Loyalty wouldn't comp me an HR54 even though I never in my 20+ yrs used an equipment upgrade, but I got one from Tech Support. Play the no upgrade card for sure... say your HR20/24 is acting up, etc.

I have an LG OLED, Denon AVR and a HR54 and CEC works fine. I was having a CEC bug in one of the 3 devices where it wasn't acting right in certain situations... my guess the OLED... but seems to have been fixed with the latest firmware.

Like I said though... try get a free one from tech support.

8. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Yeah it's been a while since I last updated anything and it seems a lot has changed. Reading through the threads here made me leery of going the ebay route.

The 7 drvs are scattered around the house, some get lots of use some only occasionally, was thinking about mothballing a few in the guest bedrooms since with Covid there are no guests, but see that could now present problems if I want to turn them back on, as stated they are all supposedly "owned".

The reason I initiated this whole thing was the one leased HR24 has had no audio output over HDMI for years. I used digital out via COAX to my AVR. Updating the display and the CX not seeing the HR24 made that cumbersome, so I called D and some dude in India indicated he would send me and HR54. Opened the box got a 24.

I'm on the edge with staying with D. My bill has been $200/m for the past few years, called and got it down to $130 after dropping the worthless protection plan so felt comfortable for the next year. I could be perfectly happy using my Channels DVR setup (great home server product...), I get 80+ OTA channels plus I added the new SiliconDust 4K OTA tuner and get the all the HEVC channels in my area and simply adding in Sling at $35/m but other family members find it a bit problematic. After 19 years with D and $$$$ you would think they would send out a 5 year old box just to make a customer happy, but no.

Will try the Tech support and see what happens.

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Listed in the $200 bill is at least $42 in Receiver charges monthly --no matter if "owned" or leased

10. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm well aware of that. Historically "owned' meant I could switch them on and off my account at will, from what I've read here some are getting requests to return the equipment when turn them off for a while.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Chances are pretty good that if there's one thing wrong with the HDMI output, there's more (or there are side effects). I'd suggest trying a known-good HR24 in place of the known-bad one and see if you can pin down where the problem really is. I'm betting that a fully functional HR24 is all that is needed to address both the audio problem and the CEC problem.

12. b4pjoe

b4pjoe DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Nov 19, 2010
    Wait....is CEC supposed to work on HR24's. I have 4 of them and I can't get CEC to work on any of them. No AVR or any kind of sound system on any of them just a straight shot via HDMI to the TV. CEC does work on my HR54 and C61K.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yes! DIRECTV calls it "HDMI Control".

Settings&Help->Settings->Display->Video

14. b4pjoe

b4pjoe DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Nov 19, 2010
    Yeah I have that enabled but CEC still doesn't work on any of mine.

compnurd likes this.
  15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    For what it's worth, I've been unable to get it to work with an H25, either.

b4pjoe likes this.
  16. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you are not using HDMI then HDMI control won't work,.......

17. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    If you are referring to my post then, yes video is coming via HDMI but audio is via coax.

Thinking about pulling one of the other HR24s and swapping it out before I do anything with the replacement hr24 they sent me.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Just because someone is using coaxial digital for audio doesn't mean that HDMI isn't in play for the video portion.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is wise. There's no point in losing all of the recordings if it still isn't going to work better than it does now.

20. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    Pulled an HR24 from another room and it sort of works in limited situations. Connected to the AVR, nothing, the OLED does not see it. If i directly connect it to the display it is found but with one big problem - it totally hoses the CEC control of connected equipment. The display wont turn on the AVR, the TV has no sound even when the AVR is turned on, have to deselect ARC and reconnect ARC to get audio.

Tired of the mess. Will try one more time calling Tech support and trying to get a 54, other than that bye bye D.

Rich likes this.