HR54 Disk Space remaining suddenly changed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xtc, May 6, 2018.

1. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    My HR54-700 (with an external hard drive attached to it) went from 10% Free to 29% Free somehow.

I noticed one of my recordings from today was "partial" and I see my upcoming recordings list is much smaller than it should be and i know that happens when the receiver has recently restarted and eventually that list builds. So my guess is the receiver restarted itself a few hours ago. But i don't know how i went from 10% remaining to 29% remaining. Usually when the receiver restarts it's at 100% Free and it slowly builds to the normal % remaining, but it didn't do that this time.

I looked at my list of Recordings and I can't tell if anything got deleted somehow.

Does anyone know what could have happened? I have had my HR34 with an attached hard drive do this to me in the past but it was obvious that somehow recordings were deleted and that HR34 was very buggy, but i haven't really had problems with the HR54 and the drive attached. With this HR54, nothing really seems to have been deleted but my % Free went up 19%!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you could plot a graph of creating and deleting what happen with delay, you will see why

3. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    ? Not sure what you mean

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    deleting process is elongated, system could free space of deleted record days after you did that

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When you keep an HDD, external or internal, almost full you are asking for problems. Keep the HDD close to half full and the HR will work much better. What size external HDD are you using? Best thing you can do is get a much larger HDD and keep it no more than half full. Keep running the HR at near full capacity and you are gonna have more problems.

Rich

6. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    No its not. Its instant. And I didn't do anything. it did it on its own. It restarted itself i am guessing and i came back to 19% more space

7. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    It was a high quality 3TB drive. Well thats pretty much ridiculous, isn't it? you spend a lot of money on a hard drive and only use half of it? I haven't had problems with it before, this just happened suddenly. I understand the HR34 is very buggy but this was a shocker. I wish they could at least let you see what was deleted to see if we can find those programs again, its not fair to just lose it and not sure what you lost until it comes to mind. Or specific episodes. I think thats the least they can do is tell you what was deleted. It's not in the recording history menu.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I've never seen a deletion that took much more that a moment to finish the process. And I've never seen what you went thru.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Might seem ridiculous but if you want an HR to run smoothly this is one thing that actually works. And it works until you fill the drive again. Yes, it does seem kinda odd to spend a few bucks extra to get the size you think you'll need to remain at 50% full (or empty, glass full thing) and have an HR that works well. For us, a 3TB drive in a 44 works well.

Rich