HR54 HDMI output disabled after power outage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by the2130, Jun 12, 2021.

1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The power in my house went out for a second yesterday, causing my HR54 to reboot. After the reboot, the HDMI output was showing as disconnected. The DVR was working otherwise and I could play programs from its playlist on my other DVR using the whole-home feature. After doing the usual troubleshooting, I placed a service call with DirecTV to get the HR54 replaced. A little later I decided to go into the hardware utilities by pressing SELECT as the HR54 was starting up. I didn't see anything other than hard disk diagnostics, so I chose the reboot option from the menu. After the reboot, the HDMI port was working again and everything was back to normal.

I had this same issue a few months ago and had to have the previous HR54 replaced. I found some messages on AT&T forums indicating a lot of other people have had this same issue with the HR54, some of them repeatedly. Anyone have any insight on this? I wonder if I should consider switching to the HS17 and mini clients. I would probably get locked into a 2-year commitment, but since DirecTV has the NFLST package locked up for the next 2 years it isn't likely I'll be switching before then anyway.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    HDMI connections are very fragile.
    It sounds as tho you do not have a UPS between the wall outlet and the HR54.
    Last week my power went out for an hour and 15 minutes.
    My HR24 is plugged into a UPS. It kept the system going until the power came back on. My HR24 did not reset because of the UPS. It also did not get a spike when the electricity came back on.

3. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I had UPSs connected to both of my DVRs at one time. Eventually the UPS batteries went bad and started beeping. The only way to get them to stop was to disconnect them. It was more trouble than it was worth. It's something I may consider trying again, but I'll have do some research on it first.

As to HDMI connections being fragile, there are a bunch of devices in my house that have HDMI connections and none of the others have ever been affected by power outages. Also, since the HDMI port on my HR54 is working again it doesn't appear that it was actually damaged. It seems to have been disabled somehow.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    My UPS batteries last about 3 years. You can easily replace the batteries without any tools required.

5. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It's been a few years since I got rid of my UPSs, but I don't think the batteries were replaceable.. What UPS do uou recommend?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    APC

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    The 3 that I have are all APC. Each of the cost about $60. I have no experience with other brands but others on here do have different brands.
    A plastic clip on the back panel snaps out of the slot for it and you simply unplug the 2 terminals and connect the leads to the new battery and put the panel back on.

This is the last 1 that I bought.
    APC Back-UPS 600VA 7-Outlet/1-USB Battery Back-Up and Surge Protector Black BE600M1 - Best Buy

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am behind on my battery replacements but still rely on a UPS for the surge protection side of the device.

9. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks, I think I'm going to have to buy a couple of UPSs. The power has gone out here a number of times recently. It's usually only for a second or so - just long enough to reboot or shut down all of my electronic devices.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is the UPS I use: https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-1...-with-surge-protection.product.100712138.html
    I've been using these for years. No problems.

And they only cost around a hundred bucks, easier to buy a new one than screw around with batteries.

Rich

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    funny
    talk to server's admins about the process ;)

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Server admins are not fooling around with consumer grade UPSs. This thread is about home use. Protecting consumer satellite receivers and other equipment from momentary power drops and potentially other glitches.

13. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Curious, will this keep your modem and internet service up and running during power outages?

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Yes and NO.
    I have 1 computer unit connected to it and it keeps the computer and monitors running and gives plenty of time to shut them down properly.
    I do not have 1 hooked up to our router. I believe it would do no good since the power is usually out in a several mile square area.

On the setups for the TV. I keep the DVR , the power inserter and my Esata SSD plugged into the UPS. The TV uses way too much power to have it try to keep it running. If I add the TV to the drain of the battery the most time it will last is about 10 to 15 minutes. The way it is hooked up now it lasts for about an hour. Most of the outages are short.

15. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Can the batteries be replaced without shutting anything down? And can the alarm be shut off?

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It depends on the Internet service. A few years ago we had an ice storm that took down power for days. I had my modem connected to the generator and was able to keep Internet until my ISP's batteries died at their local repeater. The phone company was moving generators around between remote sites trying to charge up the batteries at each remote site, then moving on to the next trying to maintain service.

One thing for sure ... if your modem isn't powered you are not getting Internet.

That varies due to make and model of UPS. The larger professional UPSs are designed to hot swap the batteries (since the whole idea is 100% uninterruptible power supply). On the consumer UPSs I'd recommend shutting down the equipment and disconnecting the UPS from power for safety. Check the manual for your UPS before attempting a powered on battery swap.

jimmie57 likes this.
  17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    The manual says they can be changed but I do not do that. If I was an electrician and understood more about it, I might.

The manual tells how to disable the beeper. I believe it is controlled when you first start it up and how long you hold the start button. It rotates between settings.

This is a good read on whether you can still have internet or not.
    Assuming I have a generator, can I use home internet while the power is out? - Quora

As stated in this article I have continued using the internet thru my phone several times. Most times it is to check the power outage map and see how long it says it will be out.

18. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I use APC -1500 and as long as you have ac power the Battery can be changed "HOT" swap --no need to shutdown attached equipment -the models I have the battery is slide out and slide in. The smaller APC Ups can be done "hot" swap as well --only requires Pulling off (+red) lead and (-Black) Lead --reattach the NEW battery (+red) and (-Black) everything is marked.

jimmie57, Rich and the2130 like this.
  19. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks, that's what I'm looking for - a model with hot-swappable batteries. I don't mind spending more money to get the features I need.

WestDC likes this.
  20. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I run all my Ac powered equipment -on the Battery Supported Plugs --( I Do not connect anything) to the Surge-only ports --If I need More Battery Held Outlets --I just add a power Strip (6 additional) "Holes" Seinfeld reference :)-- That's just what I do --of course you may do as you wish :thumbsup: ---Just a side NOTE --When the AC Power Fails --All I have to do is Power up my Generator and Plug the UPS into the Generator and I'm back up and running without fear of my Generator power Sine waves Messing up my equipment.

Rich likes this.