HR54 Incomplete Recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by videojanitor, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1 of 33
    videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I had a strange experience with a new HR54 this week: Three recordings were scheduled one night from 9:00-10:00pm -- when any of them are played back, the progress bar indicates that the entire show was recorded, however at precisely 48 minutes into each show, the "Would you like to delete this recording" message pops up, and that's as far as you can go.

I've had this machine for a couple of weeks and this is the only time I've seen this happen. I'm guessing maybe it was a fluke -- perhaps some kind of hiccup that caused all three recordings to be corrupted? I have a very simple setup -- the SWM LNB is connected directly to the HR54 -- no splitters or power inserter, and I'm using the internal drive -- so there would seem to be little to go wrong.

There's an older thread here discussing a similar problem with an HR44, but the consensus there seemed to be that an external drive was to blame. If anyone can think of any likely culprits, or anything I can check, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

2. Apr 6, 2016 #2 of 33
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Were you at home that night? Any power fluctuation or outage?

I'd try to repeat this tonight and see what happens. But if this is the first time and all three ended at the 48 minute mark, I would think something happened then that impacted the DVR.

3. Apr 6, 2016 #3 of 33
    videojanitor

Oct 8, 2006
    I was at home, and was watching a recording at the time. I remember going into the playlist at some time during that hour and remarking to my wife how cool it was that we could record three things at once, noting the three shows with record icons. I don't recall any power hits, which was also my first thought. I did a test last night, recording three one-hour shows simultaneously and it worked fine, so I'm hoping the problem last week was just a fluke.

Oh, I should add that my wife was also recording two of these on "her" HR24 in another room, and those turned out fine.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #4 of 33
    prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I would say it was a satellite signal issue. Did you see any error pop-ups when watching about signal loss?

You could look at which satellite and transponder each channel is on and then check the ones the HR24 was recording. If they are on different ones, then could be rain issue or a lnb going bad or missed aligned.

Since all 3 failed at the same time and hasn't happened again, start at the signal readings.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

5. Apr 7, 2016 #5 of 33
    TimCoh

TimCoh Cool Member

Dec 24, 2011
    HR44=500 I recorded the last Episode of the OJ trial off of FX. Same thing happened. I do not use external drive.
    They have been having issues with Guide lately. AT&T doesn't care about Quality product, Just profits.

6. Apr 7, 2016 #6 of 33
    videojanitor

Oct 8, 2006
    No pop-up errors while viewing. I'm with you that it sounds like a loss of signal -- be nice if the DVR would just continue to motor on through it, instead of going to the "delete?" message. The pricey video servers we use at work (TV station) will stop recording during a signal loss, but then pick right up when it resumes -- it looks like an edit when played back.

No rain around here last week -- LNB is only a few weeks old, though I realize that electronics can fail at any time. No issues seen before or since, but I will continue to monitor. I have a couple of spare SWM LNBs around here, so I would probably try swapping that first.

Thanks for your input -- it is appreciated!

7. Apr 7, 2016 #7 of 33
    prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Normally it will keep recording, but if it doesn't get the signal back it could end like that or say partial in the recording.

@TimCoh, that is a FX issue. Search and you will find several threads talking about that with their weird times to end shows and not sending good guide data or updating it late.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

8. Apr 7, 2016 #8 of 33
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    This is a widely posted FX issue. Don't know why it has not been solved yet.
    Nothing to do with ATT, the problem started before the acquisition.

9. Apr 7, 2016 #9 of 33
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had the OJ show set up with Series Links on several HRs and all of them recorded the whole last episode. My first thought when I heard about this issue was that people had recorded the show manually and set it for one hour. I've never had a problem with any FX show using the Series Link method.

Rich

10. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    usually (always?) reported on the Genies only

11. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    This is a known issue has happened to OJ, AHS, etc.... Calling is probably a waste of time as they know about it.

12. DIRECTV_Tech

DIRECTV_Tech New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    it could be several things, Your internal hard drive could be going out (likely not), or signal strength issues (check in settings, satellite)....the #s should be above 85 most importantly on 99 & 103. Other then that it could be the wall plate barrels (if they are not orange color its not DT approved), cables or connectors.

13. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Or it's the issue that happens only on FX where the guide data has been messed up for more than 1 year. If any of those things you posted where issues, it wouldn't cut off the ending of only 1 show.

It's only happened 1 or 2 times for me, but lots of people have reported the issue.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. My Genie got the whole show. Could it be something about the area you live in? As I said in an earlier post, I've never had a problem with FX as far as overruns goes.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I really doubt that the internal (or external) HDDs would cause this.

Rich

16. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Ok, let me restate the FX issue. Many people (not just one or two) have reported their recordings of shows from FX have been cutoff. From what I see, only the first time the episode is shown, and only with the Genies. And not everyone. Some people recorded the same program on the Genie and on a regular DVR, and only the Genie cut off the program. Presumably something in the guide data that the Genie software did not like.

17. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Sorry, all pretty unlikely. And why are you so obsessed with the color of the wall plates? I thought we had put this "CSR urban legend" to bed a long time ago. It does not matter which color wall plates you use, the orange ones just allow a DirecTv supervisor to see work has been done. Even the oldest cable wall plate will work, unless it is actually faulty, unless someone has invented a device which does not obey the laws of electrical propagation. . The attenuation introduced by a wall plate is very small, even with older ones.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So, never really trusting myself, I went back to the Playlist and all four HRs, including the HR44-700, had recording times of 1 hour and 33 minutes. After reading about this issue on another site I had run one of my 24s all the way to the end of the episode and it was all there. This time I tried the Genie by running it forward at 4 speed and clicking on the indents on the PB. I got to the last indent and stopped it and it hopped to the Delete or Not box. I didn't want to try playing it at regular speed, I have only watched a couple episodes. So, I really don't know for sure if it will skip to the end or not, but it looks like it might. I'll have to leave it at that until I have a chance to catch up on the rest of the series.

Sorry for any confusion. I saw that each HR had recorded an hour and 33 minutes and didn't think anymore about it.

Rich

19. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, looks like you had the same issue but did not realize it.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What I don't understand is the Playlist showing the recording was the same length as the 24s showed. Wouldn't that mean that the Guide data was correct? What did they do to the Genie software that causes this?

Rich