1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR54 Losing Wifi constantly

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BigTony, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BigTony

BigTony New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    has anyone had issues with the HR54 and clients losing their internet connection frequently? I noticed it happened right after the last software update in April/May. I either have to reset the network connection, or reset the receiver to get the connection back.

I am a network engineer for a living and the issue is not the network. I have an amplifi mesh HD router and access points, and the receiver has an access point in the same room. I have even tried swapping to a different router and same issue. I have never had any probs like this in the 18 months i have had the gear.

The connection lasts roughly 12 hours then dies. I even had directv swap the receiver for a new one and the same thing was happening so i opted to put the old one back.

Curious if others are having the same prob.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Doesn't sound like the HRs are at fault. If the same issue occurs on multiple HRs how can the problem be with the HRs? Taking into consideration the specific problem you have. Haven't seen that problem before. I'd be looking at the wireless connection, always better to go hardwired.

Rich

ericknolls likes this.
  3. BigTony

BigTony New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Well all the DTV receivers/clients get their internet connection from the Genie. I have several other devices in the room (Xbox, Chromecast, Amazon FireTV) that never lose their connection to the network. I also swapped the wireless router and mesh points for a second set, and same issue occurred specific to the DTV receivers. I appreciate the hardwired suggestion, but it should not be needed. The device was connected for 1.5 years wirelessly to the same network without issue until now.

I strongly suggest this is a software issue with DTV. When the new genie was delivered, it had old software on it and took a day to update. The old software had no problem connecting. Soon as the update occurred, 12 hours later and bam, connection gone.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would hardwire it just to see if it disconnects also.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How is your HR54 connected to the internet?

6. BigTony

BigTony New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Again I appreciate the suggestion to hard wire but it is not possible without buying some powerline equipment due to the amount of space between the router and the receiver. Honestly that is not worth the expense. Either that I would need to buy a 75 foot cable and stretch it across the room and floor which isn't realistic.

I have an amplifi mesh HD (high density) mesh system. The system is designed for long range and high density means the signal can travel through thick walls. AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System.

It's one of the best systems on the market. Again I am a network engineer for a living and know a thing or two about networking and wireless ;) I also tried a Linksys router with a wireless N access point that failed also.

I have one of the mesh points plugged into the wall 3 feet from the Genie. That mesh point connects to the router 50-60 feet away. The mesh has line of site through the door to the room the router is in. The signal strength of the mesh point to the router never dips below 90%. The receiver shows that the network is as strong as it can be when you setup the wireless network on the genie. I also have it connecting to the 5ghz network. I guess i could try the 2.4 ghz network to see if it makes a difference.

I have tried everything. Resetting the routers to factory and rebuilding to current spec. Trying different firmwares. Trying different access/mesh points since I have 2 of the amplifi mesh's. Its not an internet issue, its a wireless connection issue. Again I have several devices in that room that never lose connection or have problems.

I have had Directv a long time (15 years) and do understand a good deal of their tech. What I don't understand is if the receiver continues to keep the internet connection established when powered to the off state. Most devices re-establish the connection when powered back on and don't continue to maintain a connection when powered down. I suspect the genie is trying to keep its connection established while off.

I have never had a prob with this until the last month. Have had many receivers connected wirelessly over the years. I wish the clients didn't get their connection from the main box so that I could isolate the issue better.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would try the 2.4 For the very brief period i had my HR54 on wireless it would never connect to my 5GHZ band

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Point well made. We have seen problems similar to yours caused by updates. Just hadn't seen any specific to your issue. I'm surprised we haven't seen this problem before.

Rich

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My HR44 is hard wired, but not at the Genie itself but where my internet modem, router and switches are located. There is a DIRECTV device that has my coax from dish and Ethernet from my router connected. Sends internet to my receivers via coax.

Is it possible you can do this to at least your 54?

Edit
    Another thought: do you have this connection and WiFi on your 54 turned on? Prior to your wireless 54 and minis, how were you getting internet to your devices?

10. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    How about disconnecting some of the other things you have connected to your router and see if you get wifi to the Genie. Maybe all that stuff connected is causing the receiver to not connect.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

11. Ry1989

Ry1989 New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    There is a known issue with the new UI software causing this issue. It is in our known CADIE issues.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There it is...finally!

Rich

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Thanks for sharing that so the OP doesn't go nuts trying other wireless solutions.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seemed to me that the TS had a pretty good idea his problem was caused by software, nice to see that assumption verified.

Rich