HR54 Networking issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mrfatboy, Nov 14, 2020.

1. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    Recently I started having problems with my HR44. It would not connect to the internet anymore. I changed cable, switches, rebooted router, etc. It was giving error codes and could not connect to the internet. I could not ping it from my LAN.

I called Directv tech support. They ran some tests and deemed it broken and sent me a new HR54.

When I initially hooked it up it didn't go smoothing. It also could not connect to the internet. I rebooted the HR54 and router and it finally connected. Both HR54 reports an IP address of 192.168.1.21 and has a LINK Local address of 169.254.8.237.

Running an IP address scanner (Fing) on my iphone it finds the HR54 at 192.168.1.21 like it should. However my Netgear router reports the address using the LINK Local address of 169.254.8.237.

After several hours or over night the HR54 looses internet connection and won't connect to my hr24. Also Fing also reports that the HR54 is now missing. The router still shows it as a connected device at the LINK Local address.

Does anybody have an idea what is going on or how to fix?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Since you replaced your HR44-with a HR54- Have you setup whole home in the HR54 and re-checked your WH settings in the HR24? The IP 169 is the wh address link.

I suggest you check your hr24 --& hr54 --then Reboot both receivers and see if anything changes --What Model Router are you using and HOW old is it. If it's over 5 years old you may need an upgrade.

3. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    Thanks for the response.

Both HR54 and HR24 have been rebooted and whole home setup up. When the HR54 is connected correctly both units can see each other's recorded show as they should.

The HR24 shows a correct 192.168..... IP address in the router and in the advance settings of the unit. The HR54 shows a 192.168..... IP address in the advance settings of the unit BUT a 169.254.... ip address in the Router.

The router is a netgear 7960P purchased at Costco one year ago. A relatively new router. I'm on a 1 gig fiber network.

I have never had any issues before. I find it bizarre that the router is showing one IP address and and the unit is showing another but it still works for at least a while.

The only other strange thing to note is that when I do an advance internet setup in the HR54 it does come back with internet connected successful but the speed test looks like it fails and must optimize the network. The last time I looked at this on the old hr44 last year when I had fiber installed and it pegged the dial over 4k.

Any other thoughts?

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Speedtest will fail. It is broken right now
    The local IP is what the system uses to talk to other boxes on the network. It sounds like honestly you don’t have a problem at all

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your router may well be the problem if it is showing APIPA addresses (any in the 169.254 range). Make sure your netmask is set to 255.255.255.0 on all devices.

I'd note all custom router configurations (VPN, DDNS, port forwards, etc.) and do a backup of the router (Advanced->Administration->Backup Settings). Once the backup is complete, I'd do a factory reset on the router and restore the custom configurations by hand.

6. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I was thinking it might be a router problem also. I have never seen a 169.254..... address before. I was not sure it was a HR54 thing or not. However, the HR54 shows up as 192.168.1.21 in my scanning apps as well as in the advance settings on the HR54.

I just might have a lead. I just bought a Phillips hue bridge for home automation and I am wonder if that is causing the problem. My network has always been rock solid. I have currently have the Hue bridge disconnected and the HR54 and HR24 are connected and working. I will see how long it lasts.

7. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    New Info:

Without the bridge plugged in to the router. The HR54 gets the correct 192.168.1.21 static IP address I have set for it. It seems to cause the problem. Now what to do about it?????

8. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I did some googling and found a Reddit post that the Hue Hub has a DHCP bug or acts weird with some routers. The solution was to assign a static ip for it. So far everything is working with all 192.168.... addresses. Hopefully that was the problem :)

harsh likes this.
  9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just to be sure, how do you have your hr54 connected to the internet? WiFi or Ethernet cable. And you do not have any connection for internet in the HR24 correct? Just the coax for sat?

10. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I guess I spoke too soon. The HR54 has been disconnected again. It can no longer see the hr24’s programs nor is it connected to the internet.

The router reports it as an attached device but Fing (iPhone network scanner) can’t see it. Fing sees the hr24. I can’t ping the hr54 either.

Both the hr54 and hr24 are hardwired to my router. The hr24 can see the internet. The hr54 cannot.

Im not sure what to do at this point. Suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I strongly suggest that you disconnect the HR24 from the router. It may be even better to disconnect both and use a CCK but that would be a next step.

DIRECTV designed the Whole Home feature to use DECA and trying to wire around it may be confusing things.

12. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    Are you saying disconnect the hr24 permanently? I need both the hr24 & hr54 connected to share recorded shows on both systems.

My hr24 & hr44 had no issues for years.

what is the cck route?

thanks

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes disconnect the HR24 from ethernet and reboot. It will get its internet connection from the HR54 via coax

14. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    a CCK was used when whole home was first rolled out to Nation - it is a DECA attached to your router to allow internet signals to be carried over RG6-- During whole home Testing --You could connect and HDVR internet port to your Local LAN --that is how it was tested be rolled out. and is no longer enabled .
    Long before there ever was a H24 or Hr24 ----If you connect a Lan cable to any lan port today on a HR24 it will disable DECA on that box

When the GENIE came out it can do both (DECA) & (Internet) to all receivers over coax--Connecting a LAN (OR) wireless to your HR54 will act the same as cck --Meaning --it will doing NOTHING for you.

15. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I’m sorry. I’m a little confused on what the next step should be.

My hr24 gets the correct ip from the router and connects to the internet as it should.

The hr54 temporarily gets the correct ip address from the router and connects to the internet and hr24.

Some period of time later the HR54 drops from my network and then rejoins the lan with a 169.254.... link local address.

I have my router issuing a static IP address for the hr54 but it sometimes ignores it (especially after the hr54 disconnect) and gets the link local address.

what would be the steps to get everything connected and work as it should or is it impossible with this setup? Thx

16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    For the 3rd time

Yes disconnect the HR24 from ethernet and reboot. It will get its internet connection from the HR54 via coax

17. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    By connecting a Lan cable to the HR24--it disables deca in that unit ---remove the lan cable and reboot (red Button) reset the HR24 - and that will restore the hr24 -deca and will then connect to your network thru the genie.

compnurd likes this.
  18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That is explicitly what I suggested.

compnurd likes this.
  19. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    Sorry, I misunderstood. I had no idea that the HR54 would issue an IP address to the HR24 via coax. That is what confused me.

I have now disconnected the Ethernet cable from the HR24 and rebooted the router, HR54, and HR24. As of this moment all is working at it should. The HR54 got my static IP issued from the router and the HR24 was issued a 192.168.xxx.xxx IP address from the HR54. Both HR54 and HR24 can see each other's programming.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this will be the solution. Fingers crossed. :)

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The HR24 is not getting an IP from the HR54 It is getting it from your router..

WestDC likes this.