HR54 Now picture, but has banner and guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vegasnv, Mar 10, 2017.

1. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    I have a HR54 that worked without any issues for over a year. Now intermittently the screen will go black, but you can still get banner information and go to the guide. You can also watch recorded shows. A reset of the receiver clears the problem.
    DTV replaced the dish with a new model of LNB but the problem continued.
    The sent me a new HR54 and I still have the same issue. Tried searching for this symptom but haven't seen anyone with the same problem.
    Any thoughts? I also have 3 HR24 receivers connected with the HR54 and use whole home.
    These are connected together with ethernet cabling in I see is known as 'unsupported'.
    Not sure if that's causing this problem. But I've had it that one since before I got the HR54.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Are you connected direct to the TV or are you running it thru an AVR ?
    Have you tried using a different HDMI cable ?
    Have you tried a different HDMI socket on the TV ?

3. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    I'm running direct to the TV.
    I have not tried another cable or HDMI socket on TV.
    Good suggestions. I'll try new cable and different socket.
    Thanks

4. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I had my HR 54 for over a year, then about four months ago after a software update it started having the exact same problem. Most often it occurs with the AM21 over the air receiver. It happened with regular sat channels onl once or twice. I am sure this is a software problem that was introduced by an update but it only occurs once every month or so. Just hoping they will eventually fix it. BTW, when it happens on the AM21 I just have to change channels to fix it, when it happens on sat channels I had to restart receiver.

5. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    Thanks, That must be my issue. I also have an AM21. I don't watch very many shows from the AM21 tuner, but my mom has been staying with me for the last 2 months and enjoys the old reruns that are on those AM21 channels. The issue usually happens during the day when I'm at work and she's watching those channels.
    Looks like there was no need to replace my LNB or HR54.

6. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    There is a known issue with the AM21 and HR34, 44, and 54. That is on certain OTA channels on the half hour or hour when the program guide says the program is changing the picture will go black and audio will stop. The strange thing is that the receiver is still getting audio/video data because if you hit record, it will record what you can't see. Also, if you have subtitles on, they will continue to scroll on the bottom of the screen. The easy fix is just to press channel up and down to get back to the station you want to watch.

I have an AM21 and HR44. For me it happens on FOX from Boston but not from RI. It also happened on both RI and Boston NBC affiliates, though the Boston affiliate is no longer NBC, and I haven't watched it to know if that station still has this problem. It doesn't happen with the CBS or ABC affiliates. Another interesting issue is that it doesn't happen with the subchannels. 10.1 from Providence will go dark when the program changes, but 10.2 won't. Strange.

This has been an issue since HR34's came out and it appears D* has no interest in fixing it.

SMK