HR54 now shows screensaver about 30 seconds after pausing live tv.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xtc, Mar 25, 2020.

1. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    it used to be that it would only start showing the screen saver after 5 minutes of a show being paused. It's a bit annoying now.

2. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Yeah, well, their screen saver never used to contain ads, either.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Why is it annoying? People pause what they are watching because they need to tend to something else until they can continue viewing again. What difference does it make when the screensaver kicks in?

compnurd likes this.
  4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is distracting. When I pause TV I want the image on the TV to stop moving.

xtc likes this.
  5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Distracting from what. It is paused

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Distracting from the static image I want on the screen when I pause TV. Something starts moving and it attracts my attention away from the reason why I paused the TV show.

If I paused TV and left the room I wouldn't notice. But most of the time (including right now as I type this reply) I am sitting where I can see the TV screen. If the image changes or starts to move it pulls my attention away from the thing I paused TV to do. I might think that the pause was broken - or that the receiver shut off and I lost my paused show. Or that AT&T|DIRECTV is an evil company that can't let a chance to sell me to an advertiser go by.

It sure is nice when the receiver does what *I*, the lord and master of the remote, tell it to do. I told it to pause the show and wait patiently for me to decide when to unpause or change to other content. I do not need a stupid receiver usurping my authority in my own house.

Perhaps you don't mind being the puppet of AT&T|DIRECTV and not being able to pause a TV show without AT&T|DIRECTV deciding to use that moment for advertising. I mind.

(And now, "Post Reply" and unpause. Back to the show I was watching, still in progress.)

xtc likes this.
  7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    If you get that easily distracted i dont know what to tell you

As far as being a puppet your right i dont mind.. If it bothered me that much i would switch to the multitude of other TV options

MysteryMan likes this.
  8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Neither do I. As a businessman I understand the logic using advertising with screensavers. It increases profits and profits is the name of the game in any business. And as a combat veteran my mind is conditioned to focus with the "task at hand" regardless how many distractions there are.

compnurd likes this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'll agree with James that its kind of annoying, but I ignore it. I don't buy or watch anything based on "obnoxious ads" any more then I do business with anybody who robo/cold calls me.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Neither do I. I'm in my seventies. In all those years I have never been motivated by advertisement to purchase a product or service. But obviously there are people who are and that is why we have the volume of advertisement we are exposed to daily.

11. coconut13

coconut13 Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    IF you shut the effing TV OFF. You would have a NICE blank screen. PROBLEM sovled.

compnurd and MysteryMan like this.
  12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If we could go back to working in the office, that would solve the problem too lol.

compnurd likes this.
  13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Cancelling DIRECTV is an excellent solution. Thanks for the suggestion. That will certainly help AT&T|DIRECTV keep the company healthy. Less subscribers means more satellite signal for the remaining subscribers, right? :) One more thing to annoy users isn't a good thing. Hopefully they are making enough money off of the ads to make up for the lost subscriber revenue - but subscriber levels are tanking so fast that the few that leave over the screen saver would not be noticed.

I was hoping people would understand why it would be annoying - preferably without insulting the people who are annoyed by the interruption. Pause means pause - not "please show me an advertisement".

xtc likes this.
  14. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm surprised the ads don't kick off as soon as you hit the pause button. That will probably be in the next software release.

15. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. The screen saver shouldn't kick in, unless the screen is paused for >5 minutes. If it's kicking in sooner, it's a bug. Often resetting the DVR will fix that.

2. Yes, the new ad-based screen saver is annoying. But it doesn't really bother me. DirecTV DVRs have many more idiosyncrasies that bug me more :)

compnurd and Rich like this.
  16. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    What I don't get is the idea that what works for you should work for everybody, my TV does not instantly turn back on, I would have to time it but it takes at least five seconds, so I leave it on, sure I could buy a new TV that was instant, if the new ones are instant on, I've adjusted to the floating logo, a static commercial I could live with, but full motion ads, that is a bridge too far, but heck, there are not many other tv options that could replace my current setup, not sure I could leave Directv over that, if it does not bother you, great.

Knock on wood, a non internet connected HR54 will not have these full motion ads but that might be wishful thinking.

17. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I am currently watching a recording of the evening news. I paused the program and started my stop watch. The ads kicked in at exactly 5 minutes, not 30 seconds. I am on an HR54-700 with FW 0x12e5. If the OP’s screensaver is kicking in after 30 seconds, I don’t know what would be causing this.

I keep my DVR tuned to a music channel (856 or 857), so rather than pausing a program, I exit the program so that music is playing, rather than an annoying advertisement. I click the Previous Channel Button to pick up the recording where I left off. This doesn’t work for live TV, obviously, but I am rarely watching live content.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Are you sure you have 12e5? That hasnt been the firmware in while

19. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yes, 12e5, last updated 1/28. I checked my network connection and it is working properly. AFAIK, I have no control over when updates get loaded to my DVR.

Firmware Watcher shows the current version as 0x12dc. How do these numbers work? Isn't 12e5 newer than 12dc?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  20. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I keep logs on updates. My HR54-200 received 0x12dc on 10 Decenber 19. It was updated to 0x12e5 on 28 January 20.