HR54 questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jmr21, Jan 16, 2019.

1. jmr21

jmr21 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    I currently have 3 HR24's, and I would like to replace one of them with an HR54. At this time I'm not interested in 4K, nor am I interested in a mini client. This would simply be a HR24 to HR54 upgrade. Will AT&T allow this? If I buy the HR54 from SolidSignal, will I have any issues getting it activated?

Thanks.

Mike

2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    It will definitely trigger a new 2 year contract. I upgraded from an HR44 to an HR54 and they wanted me to pay $199 for the upgrade plus the new two year contract. After several attempts I finally got it for free but still had to agree to the 2 year contract. No idea on the Solid Signal part of your question.

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    No I went down the solidsignal road and they still renewed my contract.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Solid Signal is a third-party vendor of DIRECTV. If you upgrade your equipment from them, it will still cost you a renewal contract.

And as it says on their site, the 'purchase' price is still a lease from DIRECTV. So going through Solid Signal is will add to your current equipment, thereby adding to your contract.

If you have a box die, going through DIRECTV will get you a replacement for free (possibly shipping fee only) without an extension.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That makes it possible to get a 54 without having a 4K set and shouldn't cause a recommit.

Rich

6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If you buy from eBay or something like that, does that trigger a contract? If I'm on legacy billing 10+10, is activating a HR54 going to trigger the +3 WHDVR fee? Any way around that? Getting really sick of the 30 seconds to respond to a button press issue, but as DTV is getting stingy with credits, not sure I want to tie down for 2 yrs.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Wow. They want $299. Insane. They are a fraction of that on eBay and Amazon NIB. Probably even get them free from DirecTV if you haven't used an upgrade in a while.

If I pull the trigger, I'd just pay the $60 to $80 on Amazon / eBay so I don't have to deal with DTVs dumb rule of getting a truck roll. Truck roll = sit at home for 3 hrs + bug my neighbors to get in their backyard (ladder angle) + having to deal with the guy wanting to re-wire my house just because the computer says I don't have a SWiM (which I do) + repainting half my walls + cleaning the carpet and whatever other damage they cause. Not worth the hassle to save $60.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    In the past, if you have a Genie, Whole Home is mandatory.
    If you upgrade your equipment, then yes, a new contract.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Any equipment upgrade will introduce a service commitment. There isn't a way to acquire and activate a receiver or DVR without it either being a like item replacement, or an upgrade.

10. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth

Numerous Directv retention agents told me that they will not activate a receiver bought on eBay anymore, they said SS only. I asked that question many times! I am now wondering if that is true. One member on here also said he was told the same thing but I think he said he did sell a unit on eBay and the person did activate it.

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth

It would be so simple if they just said that exact line from the start. Instead they tell you a lot of different stories because they know people like me would just bail if they heard that.

My advice is that if your going to do an upgrade do it all at once and keep an extra DVR or two on the account so you don't have to call them again for several years. If that is not in your financial realm then just drop the service and move over to Dish.

Rich likes this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It goes by receiver id. Doesn’t matter where it comes from

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    So what is the rule then? They won't activate used ones? They won't activate ebay ones?

My HR24 gets slow as heck... where it takes 30 seconds to respond to a button press... but I'm still not sure I want to pay $300 and take a 2 yr contract when they are getting stingy with the discounts... this last time I had to call in 5 times and almost had to cancel before they put it back.

Sure as heck don't want to deal with a truck roll to do it through DirecTV.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm not sure of the current rule ... but the previous rule was that DIRECTV would not activate a leased receiver unless it was obtained new from a dealer. Too many people failing to return leased receivers and trying to sell them on eBay.

dreadlk likes this.
  15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think activating a Genie on an account that doesn't have one triggers a commitment no matter where you buy it. I bought mine from a member here and I had to recommit. IIRC. Oh, if you have an ATT account now you are gonna have a problem buying and activating a Genie or any other HR that you buy on eBay. Hopefully ATT gets this straightened out.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It does matter at this time.

dreadlk likes this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not at this time if you have an ATT account. Not sure what happens if you still have a D* account.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    ATT is not sure either. What I've been told by them is their software system won't let them activate HRs from third party sellers such as eBAY. You're right about the leased receivers, most could not be activated on another account. Most, not all.

Rich

19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I think your going to find that unless it comes from SolidSignal it is not going to be activated. It seems like the Inventory of receivers from SS have cards in them that Directv's computers will activate but if you buy one on eBay they will need to send you a new card which they will not do.
    One lady told me straight up that they will not send out cards for receivers unless the current card is subscribed and I am reporting it to them as being damaged.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wonder if there is an issue where the new system cannot see if a receiver was leased or owned in the old system? New receivers (such as the ones SolidSignal ships) would be easier to track. It is easier to say NO than to fix the problem.