HR54, Rain Fade & Incomplete Recordings: When. Will. This. Be. Fixed?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NFLnut, Aug 13, 2020.

1. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    Every (almost) day in Florida in the Summer, we get rain fade. Anywhere from 10-30 minutes usually in the afternoons. Fine. I don't watch much TV in the afternoons except on weekends in the Fall for football (and in 2020 .. who are we kidding?). Fine. BUT EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. that I have any rain fade, my evening recordings are off by whatever amount of time I lost signal earlier in the day even if it was at 11:00am. The only thing that fixes it is either a RBR (and 10 minutes or so of waiting to watch TV) or at the very least, changing the channel that the buffer is on (last channel it was left on). That's a problem when I am gone all day and don't get home in time to RBR or change the channel. And ALL of my recordings for that night start 10-30 minutes late and end early by the same amount of time.

This was first reported on the ATT forum back in 2017. It STILL is not fixed but it is obviously a software problem that ATT/DirecTV is incapable of repairing. Or they just do not care. (and before anyone blames my dish alignment, almost all of my signal strength are close to 100). Why can't this be repaired? When they wonder why people are cutting the cord in droves, things like this do not help their cause.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994 (when you paid DirecTV and USSB every month). Probably not much longer. Especially now that the NFL is purposely ticking their fans off and my 50 year die hard devotion to the Washington Redskins is over and my NFL-ST subscription probably is coming to and end.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Occasional rain fade when there are heavy rains can happen. If you are experiencing it every single day, it is possible your dish alignment is off a bit, in which case a good alignment to peak your signals could give you a lot less rain fade.

Check all transponders on all satellites. 101 should give you pretty high (90+) on most, there could be a few with low signals. More importantly 99 and 103 should give you high readings on selected transponders. If you don't have at least a couple with readings well over 90, then again you probably need an alignment.

Which specific transponders should be high and which don't really matter depends on what specific market (DMA) you are in.

3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm not sure I understand the recording issue. If I have rain fade in the afternoon it still records the shows set to record in the evening at the proper time. Rain fade doesn't change time.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That puzzled me too. I see such posts and I have to wonder about the hard drive on his HR. Aside from rain fade that's the only other thing that could cause what he's seeing. I think. He did say his sat signals were correct.

Rich

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What is the current amount of free space left on your DVR's hard drive?

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I too experience the occasional rain fade, but it has never caused a time offset with other downstream recordings. Definitely something else going on here. I would certainly find this issue to be frustrating.

7. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I live in Central FL ,have not experienced rain fade every day. I record shows during the day and have very little interruption from rain fade. And I never almost never get loss of signal for longer than 10 minutes.
    Is it possible that something is getting wet causing loss of signal than the sun dries it and the signal returns ?

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'll bet his dish is out of alignment, so it takes less rain to knock him out than it should. If something was getting wet he'd have "rain fade" that persisted well after the rain was gone and the sun was back out.

9. dtepper

dtepper Cool Member

Jul 5, 2007
    The answer is this will never be fixed. I was the user who originally posted the issue on the ATT Forums and uploaded screenshots showing that every recording from the channel the receiver was viewing was off the same amount of time. When rain fade occurs (very frequent in S Florida), it messes up the live buffer which is used for later recordings on the same channel.

The only workaround I found was to make sure I set the DVR to a channel I don't record before leaving for the day (I used to use 101 but since that was killed, I use 110).

NFLnut likes this.
  10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That may be so, but as slice1900 suggests, you will likely be able to reduce the severity of the problem with a painstaking aiming of your dish.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i had rain fade but it never offset the timers. and i would have to be raining so hard i mean pouring out to the point that i can't see where i am going. i had dtv through harsh winters never any problems with rain fade snow and ice. maybe your DVR is just getting wonky and it's time for a replacement??? what's you signal like??? rain fade should not offset timers

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Agree, rain fade should not offset timers. You have more serious problems than just rain fade.

Rich likes this.
  13. hmcm

hmcm New Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Canton, OH
    Today we finally had some rain in Canton (near drought). My Genie had a signal loss and a message to "go to SD" appeared. I looked at my settings and it had update Aug 4th. SD is less susceptible to rain fade. At least I could watch my game.
    I'm curious if that will work with my HR24 also.

14. dtepper

dtepper Cool Member

Jul 5, 2007
    You all are correct that proper aligning of the dish can minimize the occurrence of "rain fade" but it is something that happens for a few minutes during a standard FL thunderstorm. The bug is not the missing recording during the actual rain, but the live buffer that gets messed up and effects future recordings on the same channel.

If there is a 5 min outage due to rain in the afternoon and the channel currently being viewed is setup to record multiple shows that evening on the same channel, the system will only capture 55 min of recording for a 1 hour show (start time is effected but end time is not). I have seen this behavior on all DVR's starting with the HR20 and is still present in the HR54.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So ... does the channel being watched have to be delayed (paused at some point but not caught up) to trigger the bug or just be the channel being watched live from the time of the outage through the time of the recording? Recordings on other channels are unaffected? It sounds like a fairly specific bug.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, I did that a couple of days ago on an H24 and an HR24.

17. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Example of the problem of rain fade and recordings. If I record Las vegas on ch 236 and there are 8 episodes starting at noon. If during any the hours the signal is lost the next episode gets recorded during the wrong hour .
    The signal goes out during the episode that started at 1 pm for 10 minutes. The 2pm show gets recorded for those last 10 minutes and the rest is recorded during the 2 pm slot. All the rest of the episodes ( 3pm -8pm ) have the same problem .

If the dvr just recorded each episode by starting time this could be avoided

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It takes a little bit of time but you could set up Manual Timers to record.
    Choose the channel, the start time and the length of the recording and how often to repeat this setting.
    Repeat this for hour 2, then 3, etc.

19. dtepper

dtepper Cool Member

Jul 5, 2007
    No delay is required, the bug is triggered when the channel being watched live at the time of the outage is recorded later in the day as long as the channel is never changed ... although I'm pretty sure the bug does not carry over to the next day.

Below are the images I posted on the AT&T Forum back in 2017 which showed a series of MSNBC recordings at 8pm,9pm,10pm and 11pm when I assume a 12min outage occurred earlier in the day. Please note that the system thinks the entire hour was recorded but at the 0:00 time, the TV Bug time shows 12min after the hour.

rainfade1.jpg rainfade2.jpg rainfade3.jpg rainfade4.jpg

20. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    The dish is absolutely NOT out of alignment. Many transponders are maxed out at 100% and all transponders that I am supposed to get are dithered to their highest level. I have an AIM meter and know how to use it. My hard drive space is not a problem either.

This is a bug KNOWN by DirecTV since at least 2017 and it is obvious that DirecTV's engineers have absolutely no ability .. or maybe it's just that they don't care .. to fix it. When ATT/DirecTV is bleeding customers. "Smart" move.