HR54 Record First Run only issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kocuba, May 12, 2020.

1. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Hello,

Been awhile since I've been back here. Had one of the first HR20-700. Finally upgraded a couple months ago. Been noticing when I select a show to record and say first run only, it is recording all episodes on that channel.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks
    Dave

2. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Long standing issue with Science Channel. Appears to be guide related. I subscribed to Philo and found the issue partially exists there too. Seems Philo can get season and episode right but record more than hour long show, grabbing a random rerun.

DirecTV was recording way too many 3 hour episodes with a single title and I couldn't keep season and episodes with DirecTV genie always mixing titles with season and episode. I've initiated case numbers, promised callbacks, but things remain confused and mixed up. Not for that alone but I suspended DirecTV to save some money while sports are limited.

What channel or channels are you having issues with?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

3. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Channels in the Discovery family are notorious for this. The information they supply to the guide service tends to give that episode's play date as the "first aired" date so it records as new whether it is or not. Another of their tricks is to combine several old shows into a several hour broadcast and give it a new first aired date.

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yup. I have stopped recording several discovery shows because of this

5. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yeah Discovery channels love to get on your DVR.

6. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Yeah, my issue so far has been on CBS with NCIS. And also noticed it for Fox with The Masked Singer.

7. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I haven't seen it on CBS or FOX. Are you setting your recordings from the guide and selecting first runs only?

8. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    Yes. I even caught it right before NCIS(to see if it was going to record), and saw that it was and looked to see it was one from Feb. So I deleted the series and set up again, made sure to switch from first Run to all back to first run and saved it. Still showed it was going to record and did record.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If I remember correctly we used to have this problem with the HR24. Some found out that if the Series is set up right, then just leave it alone and let it record the show and delete them after they are recorded. It had something to do with the software and that it had to establish a starting point.
    If you have not tried this, maybe give it a try.

10. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I seem to recall it will always record the episode you're on when you set the link up, and only applies the New/All criterion on subsequent episodes. Or at least it used to work that way, who knows by now?

11. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, it has always worked that way. When you set up a series from the guide, it will always record the first episode. Subsequent episodes will correctly follow the new/all criterion, unless they are "duplicates" (episode recorded in the last 28 days, even if you have deleted from the disk)