HR54 Reset Itself Now Features & Functionality Unavailable Prompt, Anyone Solve This??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Apr 18, 2019.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I just read numerous posts online, some people still have not solved this issue, others reported success with an agent telling them dvr was not enabled on their account. My Genie HR54 keeps resetting itself, turns back on and if you hit List you get the prompt.

Some features and functionality are unavailable due to the type of account you have. Please visit directv.com/business for more info.”

You can't change channels, system info reports this,

the receiver id is listed as: 0000-0000-null
    Access Card: Insert Access Card

In some of the online posts people mentioned this has to do with Directv transitioning their accounts to an RC1 account. Others writing that somehow Directv switched their accounts to a business account.

But the bad thing is that even with all of this info some of them have not had their receivers fixed for months.

Has anyone here dealt with this? On the phone now with Directv, does not look good already, tech says his supervisor is aware of this issue and they are working on a fix, said he would look into some things he could do while he told me to unplug the receiver.

Update: Also it seems from the posts that many people had a THR22 on their accounts and this does not mesh with the RC1 system, they deactivated it and it solved the problem, I had one of those two years ago, already deactivated, is it possible that could still be the cause of this?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    We have seen this before.
    This sentence is the key : Please visit directv.com/business for more info.”
    Your account has been turned into a Business account and from what I understand businesses are not allowed to have a DVR type receiver which includes the Genies.
    AT&T is going to have to fix this on their end and from one posters reports it could be very difficult. I believe the poster I am referring to had to close his account and start a new one ?

The major problem with the THR22 is that Whole Home does not work on them.

3. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks, yes this looks like Directv hell at this point, I wrote one wrong thing,

the receiver id is listed as: 0000-0000-null
    Access Card: Insert Access Card

The Tech from retentions said he looked into the business angle and I am still listed as residential.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I received a refurbed 24-500 a couple months ago. When I tried to activate it I followed the instructions I got with the box and when the 500 booted up I saw what I highlighted above on the screen. I knew at that point I was gonna have a problem activating it. Your 54 can't read the access card. The ATT CSRs gave up after a couple days, nothing they could do would activate it. I was sent to an actual D* employee who knew the answer. He sent a guy to my home that activated it in minutes 5 days after I got the damn thing. Sounds like you might have a similar problem. Don't know if this will help but I couldn't ignore the similarity.

Rich

5. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes, thanks, right now on with tech support, he says I'm still listed as a legacy account and not an RC1 account.

Update: In case this helps anyone, tech support stated that if I was on the RC1 system, they put in a fake order for your equipment and that is the solution that he has in his system but on a legacy system they just resend out the authorization codes.

He did that and it was able to trigger the receiver id and all of the menu items appeared except for the "recording" section and the List is still not available. I can select channels from the guide but I get a black screen.

In the settings my receiver id is back but card still reads "insert access card", tried a system test and it came back with the access card error. He thought it might be the receiver not being able to read the card because I tried an H24 card and it would not read it. But when I put the HR54 card into the H24 it read the card as 00000. The H24 had a 362 code which he said is confusing because that would indicate a card reader problem but since the real card works for the H24 clearly it is the card not the reader.

Retentions is sending me out a new HR54, tech support is sending me out a new card for this HR54 to cover all of the bases but why do I feel that for some reason a Genie won't work on my system until they figure out this software or system glitch.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try taking something soft and use some rubbing alcohol and wipe / rub the small chip on the access card to see if can read it then.

7. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks, will try now, I wonder if I should call tech back and have them try the RC1 solution even though they believe I am on the legacy system.

When I reboot with the card in the receiver, I get Pacific time zone, without I get all time zones listed and clock reads 4 hours ahead of NY time.

Update: Cleaning the card did not work.

Why would the card read 00000 when placing in it H24, it should read wrong card and display the card number, tech rep says the card is activated, this is madness.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The card may be damaged, and show 0s if it can't be read. It is also possible the HR54 uses a newer generation of card that the H24 doesn't know how to read - I don't know if that's the case but I know they have had several versions of cards over the years, and the cards my D10s came with would read as 0s in an H24 so maybe it can sometimes work the same way in reverse.

9. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks for that Slice1900, again I fear that I won't be able to activate a Genie on this account because somehow they messed up something on their end, I was hoping it was just a card issue to save my recordings. Now I am hoping at the very least it is a bad HR54 so at least I can use a new one.

This one reboots every ten or fifteen minutes, I wish I had a backup 2 tuner DVR, only thing I have is a backup H24.

10. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Slice1900, the tech stated that if the HR54 kept rebooting on its own there was a good chance it needed to be replaced, are there functional reasons a Genie might keep resetting itself every 15 minutes?

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This seems like the same thing I went thru. There was nothing wrong with my 24 or the access card and that access card was new, I had never seen such an access card. They sent out a guy who knew the proper number to call and had it activated in minutes. Before he came I was seeing an access card number consisting of zeros, he made the call, they did something on the other end and the proper number appeared on my screen and the activation was done in a matter of minutes. I did call several times and spent hours on the phone till they gave up and sent me to the D* guy. All I got from ATT CSRs was BS.

Rich

12. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks Rich, the only slight difference is my card is only reading 0000 when I place it into my other receiver, on the Genie HR54 receiver it is not reading it at all, just "insert access card". So is my HR54's card reader dead?

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In my case there was nothing wrong with the access card. That was one of the new AT&T access cards. What the guy I finally spoke to, the guy that had always worked for D*, was something like "they really screwed this up, I can't do it from my phone I have to send somebody out". "They" being the ATT "tech support" CSRs. The guy that came to my home had a special activation number and he had it activated in minutes. Didn't realize the 54 didn't read the card at all. I'm not surprised your other receivers saw only zeros. You had a guy out to your home and he didn't do something about the card not being read on the 54? I've never had this happen but I'd think the 54 should have put something up on the screen when you inserted the access card.

Rich

14. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    No tech visit yet, this is a two year old Genie HR54 and two year old card, one morning it just stopped working, my first post has the details. There is a history with this problem going back to last year. Tech visits did nothing to solve it for the people that posted about it.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't have any idea why your 54 is doing that. I just see similarities in our problems. I don't think anything ATT was gonna do would have helped, they had to send me to a long time D* employee who understood the problem.

Rich

16. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks for posting Rich, I will repost what I wrote about in the ATT forums in hope that someone recognizes the flaw in my HR54:

The thing with my HR54, it makes me wonder, maybe the card reader is working because when I reboot it without a card, it is able to read the receiver id, has a different time zone, 4 hours ahead of NY, and all of the menu items appear except for Recording and the Playlist. I can view the guide but of course when I tune to a channel it is black except for the banner heading.

When I reset it with the access card in the reader, it is not able to read the receiver id, shows up as 0000-0000-null, the only Menu item is settings, has a Pacific time zone, and I'm fairly certain I can't see a guide but I would have to check again. So it is registering a change when you reboot with a card and without a card.

I will now reboot with one of my H24 cards and see if it can actually read the card number.

OK with the H24 card it acts the same as a reboot with the original HR54 card, who knows, it seems to recognize a difference, card/no card but does not recognize any info on the card.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When the tech comes out he will just unplug the 54 and put in a replacement and see if it works. They will not try to find out why the 54 is not working.

18. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm holding off on a tech for now, I have a new access card on the way and a replacement HR54 arriving via UPS on Monday but I'm trying everything to save the HR54 I have now so I can keep my recordings and settings etc.

I wonder if an attempted overnight update from 0x114b to 0x11ac bricked my receiver, I read this happened a few years ago to some HR34's.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  19. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Rich and anyone else reading, good news is the reconditioned replacement HR54-700, is activated and working but is is the old 1088 software, I hope when the new software update arrives I don't have the same problems.

In the meantime I'm trying a last ditch effort to save this HR54-200, new access card still not being recognized, someone on one of these boards suggested going into diagnostic mode, I could not trigger it with the Genie remote but a Harmony remote triggered it.

Clear Cache passed, HDD smart short test failed, HDD smart long test still in progress, does the failure mean this hard drive is cooked?

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Failing the short test probably