HR54 Tuner Slot Taken Up By PPV Non Ordered Recording

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Apr 6, 2019.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Not a big deal but if there is a way to prevent Directv from recording these PPV movies that I never order, I would like to turn it off. I doubt it would happen often but one time there was a tuner conflict and I saw "The Mule" scheduled to record.

I did not even know Directv had instant to watch PPV's, what if I blocked those channels from 125 to 170 or 175? I don't have the internet connected and I had the ability to watch any PPV's from any receiver turned off and blocked by a password, blocked even if someone called Directv but I think that got changed from Directv and I won't bother changing it back as I noticed there were times when I called Directv for customer service and they would not even bother to ask for the password.

Anyway the reason why I think Directv restored the ability to watch PPV's on my receiver is that when I clicked the Cine Instant channel from the guide, it started an opening preview and gave me the option to watch/record/complete the purchase. It is possible once I got to the final confirmation page, Directv might not have allowed it go through. When I hit cancel the PPV showed up in my List.

I know from having real older threads this is something Directv sends from the satellite to a hidden portion of the drive but it would be cool to learn how to prevent the recordings, thanks.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Most (NOT ALL) PPV's Are Recorded (in the Section) of the receivers Hard Drive -That belongs to Directv that a user can not access - If you or someone selected a PPV by accident -it will be shown in the playlist and you won't charged unless you view you and Click ok to the charge,

I would suggest you delete the PPV and do not worry about it.

Rich likes this.
  3. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Never was worried about it but curious if anyone knows of a way to prevent it. Also it should never take up a recording tuner slot.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The only way it would take a tuner to record -is If it wasn't on the HD already -and was downloading to the drive (recording)

5. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Then it was doing just that as it was listed ("The Mule") as one of the tuners recording, I had to cancel one of them to record the program I chose from the guide.

6. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    They’re usually pushed overnight to the DVR when most people are asleep. If anyone remembers or had a DirecTiVo, the TiVo Service Data Download would hit every night at 2am burning up a tuner, if I remember correctly.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Then you need to restart your receiver or find out if that program fit something on one of your series recordings, because you don’t see pushed content (POV movies or commercials) scheduled in the to do list and they do not create recording conflicts, they should never cause a pop up to cancel it for a conflict, it does that in the background and would schedule that download to happen at a different time. If you are seeing that it’s a glitch (possibly guide data glitch too) because this has been happening in the background for over 5 years... heck it might be over 7 years...

8. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    That's one hell of a long download! :D

Rich and I WANT MORE like this.