HS 17 and internet speed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sstv, Aug 22, 2017.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    Does a HR 17 have a minimum internet speed ? The reason I am asking is that I have a "Tug of War" going between ATT internet and Spectrum internet. I got a Spectrum ad in the mail offering a very good deal on Internet, phone and Wifi. I called Spectrum to see if the deal was real and they confirmed everything in the ad I received which included a 30 day money back trail run and no price boost after a year. I called ATT internet to tell them about Spectruns deal and I was told that ATT would not match Spectrum so I told Att that I was going to switch to Spectrum and that I would be calling ATT back to cancel my ATT internet. Spectrum was installed and is working fine but the Tech was not very good.Lots of little things like loose coax fittings and no weather plug on the outside wall where the coax comes in. Today I call ATT to cancel my ATT internet and they are now offering some very good deals to stay. I told the CSR that if the deals they are now offering was available a week ago I would not be leaving but its to late now. That brings us back to the speed question. I dont stream.
    SSTV

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what is your ISP speed limits ?

3. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    100 Mbps up ??? Mbps down ?

5. DukeBlue

DukeBlue New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    You'll be fine with that, I have a HR54-500 and it has a speed test. It doesn't show the actual speed it has a dial with HD, HD1080P, and 4K on it. I just ran the test and it showed the test at 4K quality. I had my router page open, it has a bandwidth monitor and the HR54 was pulling 22 Mb down and 650 kb up. I'm on a 300 mb down 20 mb up plan.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you don’t do on demand and stream it really doesn’t matter.

But spectrum is a lot better than att for internet unless you are in a giga area.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta wonder what speed down would need to be, my Optimum account gives me over 200 down but only 35 up. If he has FIOS, I think the speed up is the same as the speed down.

Ric

8. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    There really isn't a minimum speed requirement. You should be fine with either ISP.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Some folks here have really low speeds, how do they cope?

Rich

10. jstewart0131

jstewart0131 New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Ohio
    On Live on Demand and Downloaded on Demand, with the exception of 4K content really isn't bandwidth intensive. I've watched my incoming WAN traffic when doing nothing else but download or stream an on demand DTV program and it really never peaks beyond 5Mbps with 2-3 being the average I saw. I haven't checked 4K streams or downloads yet, but I plan to in the near future.

Rich likes this.