HS 17 Experiences

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Douglas Strate, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Douglas Strate

Douglas Strate New Member

Nov 20, 2020
    I am having Directv installed tomorrow and want to get some feedback on the equipment and reliability of it. The setup will be the HS 17, 2 c61 4K clients and one wireless mini client. I have researched the HS 17 and there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews and the same with 4K clients. I am actually considering backing out of this for now unless the overall consensus is equipment is reliable. I have a LG C8 77 OLED tv which is 4K. Other tv's are plasma and led and not to concerned about those. I also have a Marantz SR8015 receiver that I am using with OLED TV and other devices. I am looking for other users with similar equipment and their experience with it. I am switching from Dish which IMO has absolutely horrible picture quality due to it being compress down to 1440 x 1080. I can't have these issues with Directv. From all my research it appears that Directv has the best picture quality for satellite service. I have also read about audio dropouts on the 4K clients and here again this isn't something I can tolerate. I am assuming all the issues I have read about with the HS 17 server and 4K clients has been addressed with software updates. Thanks in advance for feedback.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is zero issues with the HS17

3. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I've had mine for more than three years. It just works.
    I have to C61K clients and two wireless clients. The 4K picture is awesome even on my non-HDR Samsung. There's really no reason I can think of to back out.

Douglas Strate likes this.
  4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I have an HS17 - zero issues.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You should be fine. The main "drawback" to the HS17 setups is that they only support Genie Mini Clients. You can't have regular HD Receiver/DVRs on an HS17 setup.

6. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    Thanks for all the feedback. The guy is here and he has an HR54 with an ESATA port which means I can use an external drive for more storage, is that correct? One of the reasons for the Genie 2 was the extra storage. Still hooking up the 4K clients knowing only one can be used with 4K content at a time.

7. Douglas Strate

Nov 20, 2020
    Also, if I add another box now there is no charge except the $7 per month. Say 6 months from now I decide to hook up another box will I have to pay for that box. The extra room is setup now so I can add an extra box any time.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    With a Genie 2 you can do 2 4K at the same time

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    correct

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    he is aware:

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    We have an HS 17. AND HAVE HAD ZERO ISSUES. THOUGH the the tech might come up with 5 million reasons why you don't want it. Don't even listen to him. Only problem i had with the hs17 it took 8 freaking times to get one installed

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  12. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    The hs 17 is limited to only adding minis so no adding a stand alone HD box for camping unless you want to suspend the genie 2 or open up a second acct and pay all over again