1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hs17-100 ip control

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by boaguy, Nov 17, 2017.

1. boaguy

boaguy Mentor

Jan 18, 2007
    Just upgraded to the genie 2 hs17-100. I was successfully controlling my hr34 through shef ip commands. I have tried to do the same thing with my headless server without any luck. Does anybody know if shef commands are working for the headless server and if so any input on how to get them to work? Here is an example of the command i sent the reciever and the responsed

Command:
    http://192.168.1.112:8080/remote/processKey?key=pause&hold=keyPress&clientAddr=8e579bb2f078

Response:
    "status": {
    "code": 403,
    "commandResult": 1,
    "msg": "Forbidden.Invalid URL parameter(s) found.",
    "query": "/remote/processKey?key=pause&hold=keyPress&clientAddr=8e579bb2f078"
    }}

2. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I believe you can control your clients (C41-C61) through IP but not the HS17 server. The DirecTV app does (when it works).

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There would be no point in trying to controls the hs17 directly. Would have to be the clients.

4. boaguy

boaguy Mentor

Jan 18, 2007
    Yes you can control the clients of genie 1 dvrs by pointing to the ip address of your genie and adding the mac address of the clients to the clientaddr= part of the url. I tried this with pointing to the headless server and adding the mac address and it's not working

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Why not point directly to the clients themselves?

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv's SHEF command set has never supported direct IP control of clients. If the SHEF commands using clientaddr= don't work for the HS17, they may have changed the API for Genie 2.

Does Directv's app support remote control? If so, you'd just need to capture the network traffic to see what it is doing. Presumably Directv must tell people how it works, otherwise no remote control apps will be able to control Directv devices in the future which would be a stupid backwards decision.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DTV must publish SHEF v2.0 ...

8. boaguy

boaguy Mentor

Jan 18, 2007
    Ok so i sniffed the packets from dtv app remote. Found it is sending the exact same code. So I tried again in chrome and again failed. Then I used an incognito tab and it worked. So shef commands are the same you need to point to the hs17 ip and point to the mac address of the client at the end of the command. Thanks everybody. Now my Google home can control my dtv again.

mrdobolina likes this.
  9. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Are you saying you can control your DTV receivers via voice commands to a Google Home? You wouldn't be able to share how you did that in a "Controlling Your DTV Receivers Via Google Home For Dummies" type of way would you? Because I'm a dummy. :flushed: I understand some of what you described, but I don't tinker with that stuff very often. ;)

10. mskreis

mskreis Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Is it possible to assign the HS17 a fixed IP address? I currently use irule on my iPad to control my HS44 which was replaced today with the genie 2.

Never mind. I found the solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:43 AM