HS17 and Minis

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mikegold, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Really getting annoyed with the constant video/audio freezes on my HS17/mini system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    It is pretty bad, I have almost gotten used to it now though as it happens so often. Did not have this issue when I was on the HR-44. It happens on any channel about once an hour or so on my 4K clients connected to HS17. Not sure about my regular mini client, that one is upstairs and my wife usually watches that TV. She has not mentioned it though, so I wonder if it is worse on 4K clients?

3. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    I’ve seen it on both the 4K and the regular. Both of these are wired to coax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DaRef

DaRef New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I think a lot of these issues are caused by hard disks that just can't keep up. I put a 6 GB 7200RPM high performance drive in an external enclosure on my HS17 and all of my problems with freezes/skips went away (I have 4 Genie minis, all wired). I've had people post specs that say a basic inexpensive 5400ORM drive is plenty fast enough to keep up. That may be true 'in theory' but my real world experience certainly indicates otherwise.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I have a HS17 with 6 clients Zero audio/video freezing or performance issues across all 6 clients

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was hoping someone else would come to this conclusion. What else could it be but the HDDs? I think you're correct about the 7200 RPM HDDs too. I've always used the Green WD HDDs (now consolidated into the WD Blue line) which are 5400 RPM HDDs. Problem I had when using Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs was the noise. Not something you want in a quiet room.

But, if you put a new WD Green/Blue HDD in or on a DVR you will see few problems. With HDDs the problems begin after a year or two. Hopefully your 7200 RPM HDD will last longer than that.

Rich

7. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    I would be interested in trying something like this. What type of connection does the HS17 have for external drives, is it still eSATA?

8. DaRef

DaRef New Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The only way to do this (that I'm aware of) is with an external eSATA enclosure. But I've also read that newer HS17's and HR54's may not have those ports. So be sure to check your unit first to make sure there is an eSATA port.

Remember, too, that the new external drive will take over from the internal drive in the DVR. The recordings on the internal drive will not be lost, but the DVR will only use the external drive. To revert to the internal drive, unplug the external drive and reboot the DVR.

Good Luck!