1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hughes HDVR2 vs. Sony SAT-T60

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TWood, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWood

TWood Mentor

Jan 21, 2003
    I know this may have already been asked, but I couldn't find it.

Is there any difference between the Hughes HDVR2 and the Sony SAT-T60? Are these essentially the same receivers with a different name on the front?

Thanks.

2. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Nope, the HDVR2 is the newer version of the DirecTiVo. The SAT-T60 is the older one from over a year ago.

3. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    I just got two HDVR2s (waiting for my hookup 2/1). What benefits did I get by buying the HDVR2 instead of the old Tivos (besides the dual-tuner)....

Someone also mentioned something about upgrading memory and HD space on them. Is it easy? (I don't believe this is hacking at all as I understand Tivo even encourgaes this type of tinkering).

Thanks.

4. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats not hacking, its part of the fun of a TiVo. Now copying the data off the the drive is a nono...

As far as differences, the biggest IMO is a better ventilation system as well as USB ports. The hardware was completely redesigned so I'm sure there are other benefits that I'm leaving off...

BTW old DirecTiVos had dual tuners also...

5. TWood

TWood Mentor

Jan 21, 2003
    The reason I asked the question is because several retailers are selling the both the HDVR2 and the Sony SAT-T60. Being an E* customer, I didn't know the difference. Thanks James.

6. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    James, great info as usual, thx. Is anything planned for the USB ports yet? Keyboard? Ethernet drivers?

7. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
  8. Eyedox

Eyedox Legend

Nov 24, 2002
    So is the HDPVR2 not TIVO technology? Is it DirecTV only? If so, does that mean that there won't be a $5/mo charge for PVR features (like the TIVO versions).

9. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    No its TiVo, just DirecTV is the middle man. They licensed the TiVo technology from TiVo rather than create one themselves. It works better that way. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.