1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huh?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I like to read scientific articles. I feel that it expands my universe, so to speak, but today I read this:

If two protons smash together at high enough speeds, they have the ability to create a tiny black hole that would exist for just a fraction of a second before disappearing The collision would open up a little bubble of interdimensional space where the laws of physics are different than ours, leading to an event known as vacuum decay. In quantum physics, vacuum decay implies that if the interdimensional space was large enough, we’d be toast. With enough gravity to interact with our world, the newly formed “Cosmic Death Bubble” would grow at the speed of light, rapidly change the physics of our universe, render it uninhabitable and effectively zap us out of existence.

If you’re standing nearby when the bubble starts to expand, you don’t see it coming. If it’s coming at you from below, your feet stop existing before your mind realizes that.”

Link: We Haven't Been Zapped Out Of Existence Yet, So Other Dimensions Are Probably Super Tiny | Smart News | Smithsonian

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would say the theory require to be scrutinized by other scientists before I would start worry.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'd try it out with small Protons first, just to play it safe.

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Gee, I'm only worrying about what goes on in Washington these days...

5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I witnessed one of these events. I though it was the tequila but this more clearly explains it.

Laxguy and Nick like this.