1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hulu May Charge You To Watch Your Favorite TV Show

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by RACJ2, Oct 27, 2009.

1. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I've heard rumor of this before, but its back in the news [Link]. Hulu may become a subscription service in 2010. So if you miss an episode of your favorite TV show, it might cost you to watch it. Not looking forward to this if it happens.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know that's one of the things that's on the table, but charging people for something they used to get for free isn't exactly a great business model.

3. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    I know YouTube will follow because they're planning to do a movie rental service. All that's left is Crunchyroll, Veoh, Dailymotion, and blip TV.

Technically, a previous article (2-3 months ago) from the Huffington post said that News Corp sites (including Fox News, their affiliated stations, MySpace, My Network TV, Hulu, etc.) would charge users for content in 2010.

4. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Nothing good is free anymore.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Actually, it is if the business is to make money and survive. Giving stuff away for free never was a good business model. With ad revenues shrinking, what would you have these sites do to stay afloat?

6. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I don't know if this is necessary a bad idea and might simply be how most television content is delivered in the future. The key would be whether they followed a Netflix type model and allowed subsribers to receive their programming through numerous devices and not simply be "Internet based." As it stands right now, Hulu seems vastly superior to any "On Demand service I've experienced,

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Nick, I see your point, but I think the reality of things is that a lot of content is available for free at providers' web sites and through various questionable sites. Charging for the same content will drive users away from sites like hulu. I agree, free is not a good business model, but time and time again when it comes to the internet we see that it's the model that works. Perhaps banner ads or forced commercials will work for them. Subscription fees won't... I'd stop using hulu the first day they asked for money.

8. clueless

clueless Legend

Dec 6, 2004
    Worked pretty good for Apple with music via iTunes.

If "they" go after all the free distribution sites it might work.

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    The difference with iTunes is that there were no legal web sites that offered free music downloads. If hulu goes subscription or pay, there will still be plenty of places to get broadcast content legally.

Most folks will pay a small amount to be on the right side of the law, and iTunes offers a great experiences. But it's not a fair comparison.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Stuart, I'm not so sure NBC and Fox plus the NBCU and News Corp cable channels will continue to offer episodes for free if and when Hulu starts charging. Rupert Murdoch is on the warpath to eliminate free internet content within his empire and NBCU is trying to eliminate any loss centers.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I suppose we'll see. I understand the economic factors but it seems shortsighted and doesn't seem to take into account the ease and relative anonymity by which the same content can be pirated.

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...not that any of us know anything about that!

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Most of all... if content providers create something worth paying for, people will pay for it if it's convenient and reasonable to do so.

Charging people to see the same mediocre content online that they can see on their TVs for free isn't the answer.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I hope they don't charge for 50's shows like The Lone Ranger, Highway Patrol.

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    +1

16. clueless

clueless Legend

Dec 6, 2004
    But what if the content owner stops offering it for free and offers it only through a for fee site?

17. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well then, you'd have two choices.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The thing is, it costs a bundle to produce the content and the production companies aren't doing as well as they were a few years ago. So they want us to watch a lot of ads, a lot of ads...or pay, like we already do for HBO, Showtime, Starz, and for various sports packages.

19. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Hulu is going to have the same exact problem as newspapers. Once they give it away for free, it is almost impossible to go back without a major drop in users and backlash.

At the very least, if Hulu starts charging for a show, it needs to be 100% ad free. Somehow, I think they feel like they can double dip. It also needs to be cheap. Charging $3 for one epsiode of a show is not a price ppoint peopel will get behind.

Also, with networks being part owners or Hulu, I would not be too surprised if all of the sudden we have glitches in guide data causing widespread missed recordings. Oh, sorry about that, we had a glitch. Just go to Hulu they will say.

20. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that something of that sort would come close to racketeering.