[HULU PRICE HIKE] The streaming "free ride" continues to dwindle...

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by SledgeHammer, Nov 15, 2019.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    So much for the low teaser prices... Hulu just announced a 23% price hike. Live TV is now $54.99. If you're keeping score, there was ANOTHER price hike back in January. Which brings the yearly price hike to a wallet numbing 38% this year alone.

Hulu Smacks Live TV Customers With Second Big Rate Hike For 2019 | HotHardware

Boy... makes me glad DirecTV ain't raising my bill 38% next month.

2. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Only 180% more in increases to match what my last Directv bill was.

espaeth, DukeBlue and Rich like this.
  3. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you the same one who has complained repeatedly about members posting about streaming services on the Directv board?

DukeBlue likes this.
  4. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Everybody knows DirecTV doesn't raise their prices until February. I'll be utterly shocked if there's not another round of price increases in February 2020.

But I do tend to agree, the gap between streaming and DirecTV/traditional cable is narrowing. Still... $55/mo is a lot less than what I'm paying DirecTV right now for a simple set up.

bobcnn likes this.
  5. oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic Member

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    But the reality is the content is what drives up the price. The moment you kill off conventional TV, streaming ends up the same price. And it's the same content just being sold in a different way from the same exact people. Do you really think Disney, Viacom, etc., are ever going to take a discount regardless of the delivery mechanism?

It's an absolute fallacy that things will end up cheaper in this new model. In fact, it'll end up more expensive to get the same content you had on cable or satellite while being harder to aggregate it all together.

VDP07 likes this.
  6. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    For most of the critical programming overlap between Hulu w/ Live TV and DIRECTV, you're looking at a Choice as a minimum programming package. (Hulu has the RSNs, all the major sports networks, etc)

The "rack rate" of Hulu w/ Live TV is now going to be $54.99.
    DIRECTV Choice "rack rate" is $87.99 before you add in the RSN fee, receiver fees, etc.

Costs will start to reach parity over time, but there is still money to be saved on the spread right now.

Rich likes this.
  7. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    The bigger question for me is how common are these huge price increases for Hulu (and every other streaming service) going to be. I mean, didn't Hulu just raise their price from $40 to $45 within the past 12 months? Now another $10/mo?

DirecTV (and I assume Dish... but don't have any dealings with them) all increase every year too. But I don't think they've ever increased $10 (at least for me). And Hulu's price increase is effectively $15 within the past calendar year.

I do agree that there is still savings to be made here. $55 is about half the price I'm paying DirecTV.

Of course, the other thing about streaming is the no contract - because there's no hardware being provided by the service they don't have to lock you into a 2 year commitment to try and get back some of the cost of that hardware. So if Hulu becomes too expensive... just cancel and go to one of the other streaming options.

8. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Exactly, SledgeHammer has nothing better to do than tell everyone that he does not like streaming.

Rich likes this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Sure, and your streaming bill doesn't cover your premiere protection plan and top end package with 300 channels and 7 TVs right?

But no worries... your bill will be equal (or more) in a year or two ;).

compnurd likes this.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yeah, there sure will be... and I'm betting it won't be 38%.

compnurd likes this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    And you have nothing better to do then tell people you do :rolleyes:. Speaking of which, where in this thread did I say I don't like streaming?

compnurd likes this.
  12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    It was to remind people to appreciate their TINY DirecTV increases in Feb :). I'm figuring mine will be around 5% to 6%. If DirecTV wants me to leave, they should try give me a 38% rate hike lol.

compnurd likes this.
  13. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    You don't know math very well I guess. An $8 increase on $160 a month is going to be a much smaller percentage than a $5 -10 increase on $50 a month. In the end, it will still take a long time, if ever, for that $50 a month streaming plan to get to the same price as DirecTV. I wonder why you are so invested in this? Many people are able to save a lot of money by leaving conventional TV and trying streaming. That is a fact.

14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Uh... I told you my increase will be 5 to 6%. Maybe a percent or two more. Definitely not 38%. Sounds like math to me. Yes, if you have 16 TVs, you'll save money by going to streaming. Duh. But guess what, you won't have 16 TVs anymore and you won't have the same number of channels and you won't have PP and all the other bells & whistles. Apples vs. Horses. If you have fewer TVs and want to keep a similar level of service, you don't save anything by going to streaming, even at current prices. And if you're willing to drop all those bells and whistles, kinda weird that you weren't willing to do it on DTV. Apples vs. Horses.

Why do you get all bent out of shape when people point out the flaws in streaming? Where were you when that guy went on a rant last week about cancelling DTV because AT&T did something to him on his cell service? Lol... yup, totally related.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  15. mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    Becasue all of your points are invalid for me. They may be valid points for you, but not everyone is the same.

What do I need a protection plan for when streaming does not require any equipment that I did not already have (Smart TV or Roku). Roku's are cheap, if one breaks buy a new one.
    I can still have 16 TV's if I want to with streaming (I don't). I may have a limited # of concurrent streams, but with 4 people in the house that does not limit us at all. We rarely have more than 2 TV's on at once.
    Who cares how many channels DirecTV has, I only watch 10-15 of them and my streaming package has all of the channels I care about. Paying for another 150 channels I don't watch is silly.
    Not sure what bells and whistles DirecTV was giving me? I like the streaming experience better in many ways.
    There was no way to get my DirecTV package down to a price that was close to streaming without eliminating receivers, or lowering my channel package and losing a channel I wanted. DirecTV was good at putting the 1 channel you want in a higher package. Also, they would not give me any discounts before I cancelled.

The flaws you are trying to come up with are not flaws to many people. It is obvious that there are many reasons you like DirecTV better, that is your opinion and I have no problem with that. What you fail understand is that other people have different things they are looking for, but you continue to tell us that we are wrong for our opinions.

Rich and evotz like this.
  16. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    There's advantages and disadvantages to streaming and advantages and disadvantages for satellite/traditional cable.

Right now... if you want the most content at your finger tips - and cost isn't an obstacle, then sure DirecTV is your best bet.

But if you're only interested in a subset of content and/or can live without certain content, then ... right now... streaming is a less expensive option.

My opinion is that i don't think streaming will ever get as expensive at satellite and cable... I could just as easily be wrong about that. I don't know if you'll ever have all of the content options within a single streaming service that you have now with DirecTV. But... I mean... if I can save $50 per month on my TV bill and that means I lose the FX networks... that's something to consider. For me, I'm not sure FX (or insert network name here) is worth the $50 (or insert savings amount here) extra.

But if content is king for you and having access to all of that content, then money can't be an obstacle for you. Tomato - Tomahto

SledgeHammer and mstenbrg like this.
  17. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    This is not something anyone should be surprised about. The streaming services are just having to deal with programming providers the same way cable and satellite companies have to. The providers think their products are worth way more than they are, and then the price hikes have to be passed on to the consumer. Hulu just didn't price their product correctly initially, and now they are correcting it. I see no issue with that. This has NEVER been a "free ride" though, so the title is just plain stupid. You can still watch most shows for "free" on the provider websites, but you have to watch the commercials, there is no fast forwarding through them, so if that is acceptable for you, they can be used.

Live TV is dead

Rich and evotz like this.
  18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    First thing people talk about is all the money they are saving and quite a few people on here have responded with they are low teaser prices and won't last as you see. PlayStationVue folded. Another provider just hiked by 25%. And yeah, I don't have to watch commercials.

19. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL

Why are you so emotional about this, it's freaking TV. :rolleyes:

But do carry on, it is entertaining. :D

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    "trying to come up with" lol

I watch maybe 10 - 20 channels myself. Except it takes 2 - 3 streaming providers to get MOST of them. I don't think any streaming provider has them all. At 2 - 3 providers, I'm at about a wash with DirecTV and lose channels (yeah, I play the retention game). I haven't been paying full price for at LEAST 10+ years. If when my current promo falls off early next year and they say no more, then I'll go to Cox or something.

You don't need PP with DirecTV either. Did you ever use it? Does your equipment break all the time? I've had one DVR die in my life and DTV comped a replacement. Also got a free equipment upgrade this year. Don't have PP and I milk the loyalty program.

And I also don't watch sports so I'm on preferred xtra to get rid of RSN.

I watch stuff on CBS. YouTube forces me to watch ads.

I don't want every episode of every show ever. I just want to watch an episode here and there. YouTube makes me record every single ep with no way to delete them.