HULU question

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by lacubs, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Apr 4, 2021 #1 of 28
    lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i think I asked before but what is better adding movies channels to my Hulu Account or buying from their website? like HBO MAX, STARZ , SHOWTIME, thanks

2. Apr 5, 2021 #2 of 28
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I always subscribe to my premium streaming services directly with the service via its website. This way I can view it on any platform supported by that service (web browser, channel app for mobile device, channel app on streaming device, etc.).

3. Apr 5, 2021 #3 of 28
    wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Personally, I’d go with the lower price option. I have HBO Max through You Tube TV for $11.99 per month, $3 less per month than getting it direct. Is still gives access to the app, etc., and that’s an extra bottle of wine a year.

Beyond that, it’s personal preference. Would you rather have one bill or multiple bills. Consolidating things into one account can be more convenient. Different bills let’s you pay on different days of the month, which can help with budgeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B. Shoe likes this.
  4. Apr 5, 2021 #4 of 28
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hulu was perhaps a poor choice of aggregators. Roku TV or Amazon Prime would probably better represent attempts at keeping everything under one roof.

The biggest attraction to using an aggregator is the single bill. If it takes three minutes to pay your bill, you're just breaking even from a time-value perspective.

5. Apr 5, 2021 #5 of 28
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    There's no downside, and really only upsides, to buying through Hulu if you already have Hulu and plan to keep it. Not only will those services' content get integrated into the Hulu app, but you still get the separate premium apps too (HBO Max, Showtime Anytime or Starz) in case you want to watch there. If you subscribe direct from their websites, then you'll only get the premium service's own app. Note that while the Showtime app does include the east and west live feeds of the original Showtime linear channel, the HBO Max and Starz apps do not contain any live channels. So if you value those live channels from HBO and Starz (HBO, HBO 2, HBO Family, Starz, Starz Comedy, Starz Cinema, etc.), then you'll want to sign up via Hulu, because they will then show up inside the Hulu app.

lacubs and B. Shoe like this.
  6. Apr 5, 2021 #6 of 28
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    One tiny addendum to my post above: if you subscribe to HBO Max via Hulu, only the core HBO content appears inside the Hulu app/UI. (Same holds true if you subscribe to HBO Max as an add-on to any other streaming app or cable TV service, including Prime Video, YouTube TV, Comcast Xfinity TV, Charter Spectrum TV, AT&T TV, etc.) Over half of the content in HBO Max is non-HBO stuff (additional movies, new Max Originals, licensed past seasons of TV shows from various networks) and that stuff is always exclusive to the HBO Max app. Can't access it anywhere else.

7. Apr 5, 2021 #7 of 28
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    All my bills for streaming services, actually anything that can, goes right to either my Visa card (2% cash back on everything) or my Amex card (6% cash back on most streaming services). I never carry balances on anything, everything gets paid in full every month. Only 2 bills to pay (Amex and Visa) and my cash back amounts to hundreds every year.

8. Apr 5, 2021 #8 of 28
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think that comes down to how one feels about putting TV providers on auto-pay. I won't do it.

I pay all of my bills with my Costco Visa but I do it manually. A lesson learned from being a Comcast customer.

9. Apr 5, 2021 #9 of 28
    lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    thanks guys

10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    No worries, different strokes and all that. I never subscribe to other services thru other services (I don’t bundle) for a similar reason.

11. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Same with yttv, the linear live channels are in the 'live guide' and are DVR'able up to the max storage of the yttv system (unlimited and up to 9 months). That's the plus for subscribing through any if the live streamers rather than directly; unbelievably, the customer service reps on most if these 'live' streamers don't realise this (!).

12. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I really don't understand why the HBO Max app doesn't include live streams of the HBO linear channels, or why the Starz app doesn't have the live Starz channels. Sure, some folks would ignore them but others would check them out and find new things to watch. Including the live channels could only increase engagement with the app. That's why the Showtime and Epix apps have always included those services' live channels. I know that original plan for the HBO Max app, when it debuted nearly a year ago, was for it to eventually support live channels too, in the form of an optional live cable TV add-on (similar to Hulu, although who knows if such a plan is still under consideration). So maybe we'll see live HBO channels there before long.

13. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Is there a promotion or special offer you utilized to get the $11.99 price? I have mine directly billed, but I'd run it through YTTV, if I could score it at that price.

To the flip side of what I just mentioned, I'm not sure I'd utilize the live channels often, even within my YTTV live guide. With HBO out of live boxing, I personally have not felt a need for a live feed of HBO since I departed DIRECTV. (Then again, unless it's live sports or news, I rarely watch a live feed of any linear channel, now.)

But mileage varies, and I can understand some enjoying just flipping through to see what's on at that moment.

14. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, this is the attraction of the live channels for me. (They're also good for actual live content, such as Real Time with Bill Maher, which can take awhile to show up on demand.)

I remember reading an interview of Showtime's CEO a few years ago and he said one of the things they were surprised by was the amount of time that their streaming subscribers spent watching the east and west feeds of their main linear channel inside the Showtime app. I think a lot of folks get "scroll fatigue" looking through all the on-demand choices in apps and sometimes just want to drop into a show or movie that's already playing.

B. Shoe likes this.
  15. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    And that makes sense. I've faded out of that routine on YTTV, in part because I don't carry those premiums within my subscription, and because of commercials and the shift by channel providers of spreading a 2-hour to 2.5-hour movie out over 3-3.5 hours (cough, FXM, TNT, cough) to get the whole film in with commercial breaks. But for some users, I can appreciate that approach as a means for wanting to include the live feeds in apps.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    NashGuy likes this.
  16. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Check cordcuttersnews.com as sometimes Hulu has promotions on its premiums. But lately, I haven't seen any. One nice thing about Hulu is that it allows one to take the movie premiums without Hulu Live, but just a basic Hulu or Hulu Plus subscription. You also can search basic HBO content along with the Hulu content, and if you try to access ABC News Live from Hulu Plus which doesn't need Hulu Live, you can then view the linear channels of the premiums. Sometimes, I discover content by changing through the linear channels.

For Showtime or Starz, it might be better to purchase directly but there are limited selection of linear channels. American Express sometimes has credits ($5 for 3 months) but you have to purchase direct from Showtime or Starz. Starz offers a 6 month for $25 price on sale every once in awhile, especially during the holidays. Showtime also gives you a free month after an attempt to cancel with them. The Roku Channel also offers promotions for Starz or Showtime like first 2 months for $.99 or 4 months for $4.99.

I've wondered why Hulu doesn't have Epix though. It seems to be the only carrier without it.

B. Shoe likes this.
  17. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    every work great with ordering then channels though Hulu, I wish they had Epix had to order that on it's own, but searching HBO MAX, STARZ , SHOWTIME and Cinemax is awesome, as I sadly leave DTV next Friday , thanks guys again

B. Shoe likes this.
  18. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Welcome to the streaming world! It's all just jumping from learning one system to another. Give it time and you'll never give it a second thought.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The current promotion on the Roku channel is a seven day free trial with no discounts. Amazon Prime offers the same deal.

Going direct to Showtime gets you a 30 day free trial and the same monthly rates ($10.99). Going direct to Starz is the same price ($8.99) with a seven day trial.

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Which just shows that it is good to check a few places for these deals. I’m currently on a 6 month w/Showtime for $4.99/month after a free month to start it off. And a ‘keep me’ deal for $4.75 for AMC+ via Amazon Channels. And a 20% off HBO Max prepay deal which expires in July I think.