1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Hurricane Sandy Threatens Northeast and Mid-Atlantic

[​IMG]

SOURCE

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    New York Times has suspended their pay wall, and the WSJ will open up Monday morning until this storm passes.

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    60+ years living here and I've never seen anything like this. 90% of the area is still down. Major roads in my area including US RT1 from my town way past Edison has no lights (well, maybe 1 or 2 along the way). Gas stations have lines up to 3/4 mile long with people wanting gas for their generators with most stations closed due to no power. Our town is 90% out including post offices schools, police. It's crazy.

I've had (still have) no power AND no cell service although it seems T-Mo is working with AT&T because my phone all of sudden said AT&T instead of T-Mo and I was able to make calls but no data.

My neighbors house has power so we just ran a long extension through my window so we finally have internet & tv but no heat or lights because I don't want to blow his fuse with a space heater but from me down all but 3 in the area are still out. Can't figure out why 3 homes have power but the other 60 or so in the development do not. Very weird.

Most supermarkets are running on generators as is local Home Depot. Been to a couple others who are opened but are out of anything I need. Fast food places have only opened drive-thru and like the gas stations lines are down the highways.

We were told "power should be restored by the end of next week." The governor of NJ just postponed halloween until Monday. :lol:

I can't feel to sorry for myself after seeing what happened to Staten Island and lower Manhattan.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    People will start shooting at each other tomorrow or Friday.

5. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    With the amount of damage done and salt water in the under ground electrical systems I'm sure we are going to hear many horror stories in the following weeks.

In the heavily damaged areas full recovery can take years, I know this first hand with the clean up operations after hurricanes Andrew and Elana.

Mark my words several electricians will lose their lives restoring the massive power outages.

Best wishes to all who were hit by this massive storm.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Once again:
    You will find the bulk of discussion regarding Sandy and the destruction it has wrought on the following thread:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=209857

Mods: rather than run two threads on Sandy, can we please close this one?

7. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Scenes I saw today looked like ads for some type of end of world film with a roller coaster sitting in 20 feet deep water.

8. Nov 1, 2012 #9 of 52
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If your house gets cold, too cold to stand, try this: Put four large pots of water on your stove (hoping you have a gas stove) with the lids on, when the water starts boiling, move the tops a bit and let the steam come out. Keep the pots refilled and leave the water boiling. You should get enough heat to keep your McMansion toasty. The good folks on 101.5 have been suggesting this to people all day long.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    People down the Shore have been getting the word out that any plunderers will be shot and shot in the head (can't testify) if they try looting houses. I guess they've been thru this before and aren't gonna put up with it this time.

This from 101.5, again.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Another reason to avoid living areas with underground electrical service. It makes the neighborhood look nice, but when something like this happens....

Another reason I never wanted to work for power companies. They've got so many deferments from OSHA and other governing bodies that they can work unsafely. And catastrophes such as this cause so much damage they have to take chances.

Thanx, gonna take NJ quite a while to get over this one.

Rich

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Been doing that but aside from having to open a window :sure: to prevent Carbon monoxide poisoning (hope 101.5 mentioned that) the steam kinda stays in the kitchen and my glasses get all fogged up when I walk in. :) We are being told 1-2 weeks from today.

Took a ride earlier up 287 to Bridgewater Mall (1 wing partially without power) then drove RT22 back to Union (19 miles) and not a single traffic like was on up until Union and then only one and no power and no retail businesses open all the way up into Union except there were 4 gas stations along the way with lines that had to be close to a mile in 2 cases and maybe 1/2 mile in the others.

Where the "F" are all the PSE&G guys? Still haven't seen 1 truck of any type anywhere we have driven in the last 3 days and still have that damned tree laying across the fallen power wires 2 doors down from me. We're told we have to wait for PSE&G as the local DPW won't touch trees with downed lines and we are at "the low end of priority." Just dumped the freshly filled refrig/freezer and deep freezer. I know we are VERY LUCKY considering what happened elsewhere but is still is cccccold and I miss my refrig. :(

Attached Files:

12. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    The south shore of Long Island (where I grew up) got hit pretty bad too. And a major sewage plant caught fire and exploded, leaving the septage from a large part of Queens and Nassau county with nowhere to go.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Nah, close the other one. ;)

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    In case those of you who have been posting in this thread since Drucifer started it on 10/25: there has been an on going thread about former Hurricane Sandy (now Nor'Easter since it made landfall) at: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=209857. This was mentioned by SayWhat in the second post in this thread. By continuing to post in this thread, a lot of information has been either missed or duplicated. Guys, please, let's confine the discussion to the Superstorm thread.

15. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I'll say. Needed gas and "only" waited 65 minutes and 39 cars. Had to drive to Edison to find a line less than 1+ mile long. Probably was short because he probably had the most expensive gas in the state of NJ. Felt like I was raped for $3.89/gal credit (sorry NY & CA people).

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    My dad said that he to wait over 2 hrs for gas and that was in the Edison area, too.

- Merg

17. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Utility Workers Pelted with Eggs
    after Bridgeport, Conn. Mayor Blasts Provider

SOURCE

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I live in the Hudson Valley in NY, and there were many cars with NJ plates waiting in lines for gas at stations here. And that was at the stations that still had any gas.

19. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Some people have no common sense. Let's see, harass the guys that are working their butts off to turn your power back on. Then sit back and complain that your power isn't getting turned on quick enough.

When Ike roared through here, my subdivision was out of power for about 1.5 weeks. We lived in a very large subdivision and when the power crews finally showed up on the other side of our subdivision, people were making them sandwiches. My wife politely told them where we lived and asked them if they had any idea when they would get over to our side. Since it was 90 + degrees out, she also gave them a case of Gatorade for their troubles. Guess who had power 30 minutes later while a couple of streets over was out of power for another couple of days.

It pays to be nice to the people that fix the stuff you need.