1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HydroVantage toilets

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Apr 25, 2013.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I've seen them in two McDonald's restaurants. As soon as I rise from the throne, they flush automatically and forcefully. The problem is, I tidy myself up while standing (doesn't everyone?) and so I have to then manually flush a second time.

How much water does that waste? I know I've read that in California, at least for residences, they mandate low water usage toilets and that has led to a black market in toilets that "work". Does California ban these HydroVantage toilets, or do they exempt restaurants?

2. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't know about California, but in some states public facilities were exempt from such regulated toilets. The belief was that they were more prone to clogging. Consequently, this would pose some major problems for toilets in restaurants, government buildings, even office buildings.

When my brother and sister-in-law bought their first home in 1997 in southwest suburban Chicago, the house was equipped with low flow toilets. My brother hated them. He actually had them removed and replaced with black market "super toilets" as he called them. It cost him a few bucks, but he said it was worth it. At my current apartment, both of my toilets are these low flow ones. I have to flush several times to get the job done but mainly to avoid clogging, because with less water, less "stuff" will fit down the toilet at one time.

This reminds me of the low flow Seinfeld episode entitled "The Shower Head," where his building replaced all the shower heads with new "low flow" ones, causing residents' hair to look flat and horrible. It even affected his visiting parents in that episode. The ending was hilarious. It featured Kramer buying a black market shower head called the "Commando 450," which is so powerful that it's used to hose down elephants at the circus.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Our city gave to residents a NIAGRA 1.6 GPF toilets more then 10 years ago. For free in exchange to old; all old what you would bring back.
    Since that no clogging at all and no issues with after-cleaning. Probably you are eating something "sticky" to the bowl ? :D

[ I'm not counting a couple "floods" because of young kids who did flush half of a roll toilet paper... ]

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    A few years ago, I upgraded from a 1.9 gpf standard height elongated toilet to an American Standard Cadet 3 higher toilet, which uses less than 1.9 gpf and does it forcefully, doing an effective job of emptying all contents. It flushes with a"woosh" that can take you by surprise. No automatic flush valve, just the usual tank and lever that you jiggle.

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I want one powerful enough to suck you in if you're not careful. :D

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Regarding lo-flo toilets:

To keep the throne nice,
    be sure to flush twice.