1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I almost didn't even notice...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Greg Alsobrook, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Last night, the wife and I were catching up on some of our recordings. An episode of 30 Rock had gotten moved to the bedroom DVR last Thursday to free up a tuner to watch some March Madness in the living room. I was fast forwarding through the last set of commercials before I realized that trickplay was just a tad bit slow. This means that we watched 75% of this show without even realizing that it was done with MRV. How nice it is to have all of your recordings seamlessly integrated to where you truly have no idea where they're being played from (remotely or locally). Kudos to DIRECTV for how for they've come with this!

2. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Gotta agree here. It's becoming more and more seamless. :)

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Agreed! We don't think twice about selecting a remote program or the trickplay involved with it.

But it would be nice to have remote freespace so we don't have to visit each box to see how it is on space.

And of course, remote scheduling and a dvr selection on the playlist (with freespace).

I handle the remote scheduling now on the iPhone (and soon to be iPad) but generally record on two boxes to be sure there's no conflict.

MRV is NICE!

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    fanboy.

5. pdawg17

pdawg17 Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    LOL :lol:

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I'd like to see MRV do this automatically.

7. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Sometimes. :)

8. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Agreed. That would be a nice addition.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I'd settle for being able to do from an HR what you can do from an H. Move it yourself. And, although I like the unified playlist, would like to see a way to see each one from one location for maintenance.

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    MRV works very well in our home too. I have each dvr setup to record certain channels and never think twice about where I watch them.

11. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I love MRV, but agree that these features would be nice. Also wish you could see the "Manage recordings" screen on the remote DVR, so you know whats scheduled to be recorded.

A couple glitches need to be cleaned up as well. Occasionally I don't get any sound when playing from the remote DVR. And these items are a bit slow, the slip function and start up when playing.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Hahah. I just had the same experience Greg had today. Was watching a show through MRV and forgot it was MRV. Even with trick play. I remembered when it took longer than usual to delete it afterwards.

13. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I told my wife the other day, that DirecTV was going to start charging for MRV and her instant response was: "Well you better pay for it then."

14. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    More than sometimes Greg. :)

15. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I totally agree with the OP, i have watched several programs in the last couple weeks and wouldn't have even known if it weren't for a slightly slower trick play.

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I watch HOURS of it every day and its extremely nice. I hate to pay but what can you do.

17. danielr83

danielr83 Cool Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Does this mean if you have 2 DVR's and say there are 3 recordings scheduled at the same time on DVR #1, DVR #2 will record the show that the first DVR cant due to the 2 tuner limit?

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    no, this feature is not available.

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    MRV seems to be a nice feature-but not $3 a month nice in my opinion.

For only $2 more you can have another receiver!!

I hate this "nickel and dimeing" made famous by cable TV. A buck for this, two bucks for that, when will it end?