1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am confused about setting up Deca with my DirecTV Genie2.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ccualumni, May 19, 2018.

1. ccualumni

ccualumni Cool Member

Jan 26, 2009
    My DirecTV system has a Genie2, which plugs into my coax cable outlet in the room with my router.

I am supposed to connect my Deca unit to the coax outlet, but my Genie2 is connected to that outlet.

Do I connect the Deca unit to the Genie2? If so, how?

Once I get the internet connected to DirecTV coax outlets, I then have a 2nd or 3rd Deca unit on the other end that I can connect to a router or tv? What should I get if I want to run wireless in the room I am sending internet to?

Thanks

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Plug in RJ45 between Genie2 and Router.
    No DECA needed there if you do that.

Regarding other DECA's what is at the other ends of the coax? If Genie mini's, no DECA's needed there either.

3. ccualumni

ccualumni Cool Member

Jan 26, 2009
    All of my units are the wireless genie so they do not connect to the wall, only to the tv.

To summarize to see if this is correct:
    In the room where my modem and Genie2 are: I connect the router to the Genie2 and that basically puts the internet into the coax cables.

For the rooms I want internet access in: I connect the Deca unit to the coax then connect an Apple TV unit or a router to the Deca unit via Ethernet.

My other question is that on the other end where I want internet, I also want wireless. Should I just connect the other end to a router or something like an access point?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do not connect anything besides the Genie 2. 1 connection is all that is needed for all to be on the internet.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It reads like you are trying to piggy back off the coax to get internet to other rooms. Well if the other mini's are wireless, you don't need coax in the other rooms. They get their wireless signal from the Genie2's Wireless Access Point.

If you have coax in the other rooms, why did you get wireless mini's? Wired is far more reliable.

For Directv, you don't need connect any coax/Deca to an Apple TV.
    Now if your plan is to grab some internet out of the coax for the Apple TV, let explain why that is not recommended. The Directv coax is meant to allow many remote TV's from the Genie 2.
    Start running other services such as Apple TV, you are grabbing bandwidth. You may have no problems and then one day "Buffering" appears via the Apple TV or your wireless mini's drop off or get pixelation, you won't know where the problem is.

Someone will chime in and say they never have a problem. But some others do.

6. ccualumni

ccualumni Cool Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. My goal was to put the internet through the coaxial lines which I read was much better than wireless.

I upgraded to the wireless boxes due to a promotion that DirecTV had. I didn’t realize the wired boxes were better.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Wired is more reliable if you already have the wiring in place. With your setup, you can take some hardware and breakout an internet drop using your coax.