I did a stupid thing ....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by litzdog911, Dec 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    A funny short story ....

I never put my DVRs in Standby. In my media room I have two HD DVRs, one on top of the other. Last night I sat down to watch some shows and one of the DVRs looked dead .... no front panel lights. I freaked, assuming it was hung or dead. So, without thinking it through, I pushed the reset button. The front panel lights were still off, but I could tell the drive and fan were spinning happily. Then I pushed the Power button and brought it out of Standby. All was well. Fortunately it wasn't recording anything :)

Of course, I'm still not sure how that one DVR wound up in Standby in the first place. :confused:

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I've seen this before on my HR21-200, it will go to standby on occasion. But I have chalked it up to someone else in the house doing it, but then I think about it, no one would know how, since I don't have that button programmed on my Harmony remote and everything is within a media closet way far far away in a dark out of the way place. :shrug: I'm glad you weren't recording too!

3. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    And I'm very glad it wasn't really dead, 'cause I have LOTS of stuff on there I need to watch over the holidays!

4. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    My HR21-100 does this on occasion. I just find it in standby from time to time. I never put it into standby, the power function is not programed into my Harmony, and it is in a closed cabinet.

That said, anytime I have found it that way, pressing guide or list brings it right out, it has recorded (or is recording) whatever it was supposed to, and/or the buffer is in tact. Just a weird thing the HR21-100 occasionally does that the HR20-700 has never, ever done.

5. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    SO, you rest the thing and it came back still in standby mode? That seems a little weird and contrary to common sense, IMO. I would certainly expect that if I hard reset a device, that it would be fully on and operational when it reebooted

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Litz... first of all this site and others owe you a debt of gratitude for all you've helped others. So we're inclined to forgive the odd goof.

Second of all, as an old role model of mine used to say, "Everybody gets to (mess) up once. That was yours."

As far as rebooting into standby, yes that does happen. I've heard reports of that for years.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It was probably my mom's dimentia bleeding over (she lives very close to Litz...) :D

8. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Still seems counter-intuitive to me, but it is what it is.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is it possible that this is a side effect of the receiver spontaneously rebooting?

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Litzdog did not say his receiver spontaneously rebooted. He rebooted it himself by mistake.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I was suggesting that the reason it was in standby in the first place is because it rebooted.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Out of curiousity, why not?

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I did something even stupider :)

I was just leaving for work the other morning and went to shut down my HR20 from the front panel. "What? No lights?" I pressed power. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Grrrr! Tried a RBR. Nothing. "DagNabbit! WTF?"

I was pissed. I took of my sunglasses to sit down and get a better look, and then noticed I did indeed have blue lights. Guess what! Blu-Blockers really do work. I had blue lights all along, I just couldn't see them with the shades on :hurah:

14. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Whew, from the title I thought you were going to say you switched to E* or cable. LOL

15. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    These two DVRs are in my media room, so there's no need to put them in Standby. Plus, the blue LEDs provide nice ambient lighting when entering and exiting the darkened room :)

16. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    We won't tell anyone Litz, [marking this thread as a subscription] ;)

17. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I don't think so, at least not in my case. The blue ring of lights is still turned off when I bring it out of its spontaneous standby. If it had reset, the lights would be back on.