I don't know what to make of this...

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Scary? Fake? Strangest tech story I've read in a long time for sure...

POLICE: DO NOT LET AT&T UVERSE TECHS IN YOUR HOME UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NEEDED

"UPDATE FROM AT&T TECH @7:30p November 12, 2019: “AT&T Requires a wifi map of every job dispatched on by technicians. By every job they mean 100%. This metric must be obtained by every technician, their managers, and the second level managers, ect. Technicians are issued reminders in weekly meetings and throughout the week in company emails. If a technician misses a wifi map, for example if the customer is not home and they cannot gain access inside, they are often questioned as to the reason the wifi map was not done and leave a narrative to the reason.”"

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  3. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Looks like the article I tripped over had an odd take on the policy for sure. The article you linked makes more sense.

It would make a lot of folks nervous if the tech said he would have to call his boss for permission to leave after you ask him to leave (the spin my story put on it).

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I read both. This seems pretty innocuous. AT&T does sell WiFi extenders, so my guess is those are probably offered by the techs where the signal is weak. However, not a great idea for a tech to refuse to leave a house until he gets a supervisor’s permission, if that is true.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But the first article specifically said if they were doing outside work (eg. Cable splicing) they would need inside access to do a WiFi map. Not happening at my house.

6. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Same with Charter at my home. Can you imagine someone walking to every room in your home with a probe in his hand? Most folks would not know what was going on.

Although I understand now why they would do that, it must seem odd to a lot of people.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If I'm buying WI-Fi, OK. If I'm not buying WI-Fi then there is no need for the scan, other than to sell me Wi-Fi or for criminal activity.

Forcing technicians to market products and add ons is a problem. I had a DISH tech stop by for minor work and it was part of the job to pitch "Smart Home" products and services. Not part of the work I asked for, but the "always be selling" attitude of the major companies. He was a nice guy so I have him some sales tips on how to make the offer without being annoying.