I Don't Like Scoreguide At All

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Msguy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I want this feature gone. I have 2 TV's and my directv receivers are one right on top of the other because I have things set up where I can watch 2 Baseball Games and This Coming NFL Season I can have 2 NFL Sunday Ticket games on 2 seperate TV's. It's Very Difficult Changing Channels when this scoreguide feature is on because for one it delays channel changing and second I already have to get the remote real close to each receiver to change each TV's channel on the receiver. This scoreguide is wreaking me havoc and I want a way to disable it. I Do Not Like It At All.

2. stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues Legend

Jan 3, 2008
    >>

I have found that if you open it and then close it, it does not reopen. Also, if you just back up the program a couple seconds it will be disabled. It only works on real time. For me I feel there is value to it.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    You can temporarily disable ScoreGuide by pressing EXIT while in live TV. However, ScoreGuide will reload if you change channels and return or open and close the Guide.

Unfortunately there is no way to permanently disable ScoreGuide.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't understand the issue. I too have dual receivers right next to each other. If I didn't know scoreguide was there, I'd never even notice it. It only comes into play when I press the red button and I think I've only used it twice. It doesn't make my channel changes any slower and I don't need my remotes real close to the receivers (in fact, I use an IR repeater system, so my remotes don't even need to be in the same room).

Why is it difficult changing channels? Why do you have to get your remote real close to the receiver?

5. FUCCO

FUCCO Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    about the remotes... use one rf remote and get one ir remote then u should not have that problem anymore of changing the channel on both recievers at the same time

6. moob

moob Legend

Nov 19, 2008
    From what has been said on these forums, that issue with the delay only seems to come into play for some of us (notably those without DVRs, like myself with my H21). The delay is extremely annoying, especially if I forget that I'm on a channel with the Scoreguide, and I try inputting numbers for another channel. Instead of being on channel 249, I end up on channel 9 or nowhere at all.

Like others have said, if you press exit the guide doesn't come back, but as soon as you change the channel...BAM!...the craptastic guide is back again. It's gotten to the point that I hardly ever even watch the sports channels anymore because of the stupid guide.

Has anyone complained to D* about it? I'll shoot them an email later. They have to know about this by now.

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Personally, I like the Scoreguide option and hope it is added to all channels. At the same time, I would like to see them add a setup option in the receiver for on/off/sports only. Then I think everyone would be happy.

8. dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    the bottom line is, you should be able to turn it OFF...period. i hate it and not only that, it messes up my HDMI handshakes on my H21 and i have to flip channels or hit the guide button to get the picture back when i change inputs on the tv. plus you have to hit EXIT to get the yellow button to work so you can bring up previous viewed channels. its just flat out annoying.

9. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    On our TV, the guide only shows if you press the red button, no matter how many channel changes we make. Does it work differently for you?

Personally, I love it :)

10. dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    thats not what we are saying. what we are saying is that hitting EXIT gets rid of the scoreguide data and control of the channel. it does not mean its on the screen. hitting exit allows the yellow button to work so previous channels can be accessed and also takes control of the channel away...and when you switch channels it reloads. theyre not talking about the scoreguide actually showing on the screen, only control of the channel.

11. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Okay, I just tried using the yellow button with scoreguide available, but not showing. It worked exactly as it is supposed to. The yellow button worked for me even with the scoreguide data showing on the screen. And with data showing, I am able to switch channels - using both the yellow button and the remote numbers.

I have control no matter whether scoreguide is on or off.

12. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    My 2 H21 Receivers are Stacked One right on top of the other in the same place. I don't know how much plainer i can explain it. When trying to watch 2 different ballgames on the two seperate televisions that i have side by side on the wall you have to get REAL close to each receiver to change the channels otherwise when you try and change channels BOTH receivers channels will change to the same channel. Are You Following me so far? Then On Top of that the scoreguide is wreaking me havoc because it does delay both my receivers all because scoreguide is on there. I don't like the scoreguide option and I wish DirecTv would make an update to disable this feature. If I want to know scores from other games I can easily change to ESPN to find out on the bottom of the screen.

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No. I'm still trying to figure out how that has anything to do with Scoreguide (the topic of this thread). Additionally, do the H21's not have discreet IR commands? I don't know the answer to that, but I know the HR21's do.

I understand you don't like it. I'm just trying to figure out why. Scoreguide has no effect whatsoever on my receivers. Nothing's delayed. Nothing's changed. Occasionally, if I want to see scores, I press the red button and see them. Otherwise, I wouldn't even know scoreguide was there (my wife still doesn't know about the feature). Sorry you'r having issues, but are you sure the delays are a result of scoreguide?

14. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    I guess I don't understand the issue either. You should have each HR using independent IR ID's. That way, they are not sharing the IR codes and each one is independent. You can do this all with 1 remote control. Off the top of my head, I believe you program the remote to use AV1 or AV2 with IR code 00002. Then you use the selector switch to choose which HR you are controlling. Should be much easier than getting up off the couch and using the remote directly in front of the receiver you are trying to change. Then you wouldn't have any issues with Scoreguide.

15. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Why don't you use the other IR codes for one of the H21s? You know, where you set one of them to use AV1 or AV2. You can find that under the remote setup then to receiver mode, follow the on screen instructions.

What is scoreguide delaying?

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I like score Guide--How about you leave?

17. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Scoreguide delays my channels changing. Everytime I change to a channel that has scoreguide that pops up at the bottom of the screen it takes my receiver longer to change from any channel that scoreguide is on. I'm not leaving and going anywhere. I've been a DirecTv Customer going on 13 years and I just don't need the scores on the damn screen. ESPN and the Sportschannels already put scores up anyway. It's an unnecessary feature.

18. dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    youre probably talking about on an HR21. i am talking about on my H21. my HR21 works fine.

19. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Ooops - my bad. I missed the part about using only the H21. Oh well, my eyes are old :roundandr

20. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    ALSO another HUGE FLAW when you are trying to use auto tune on a D12 receiver, if you are tuned to a sports channel and the auto tune is set to change channels it will not change automatically!!!!!

YOU NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP D*!!!!!!!!!!