I don't think we talked about this

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by tfederov, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1 of 25
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I know there are more folks besides me testing multiple DVRs. I wanted to throw out a suggestion to either the software or firmware writers to give us the ability to name our DVRs similar to the way the Series 2 (not sure about newer) TiVos with HMO can.

Right now the only way I can tell the difference between DVRs is I have a general knowledge of what shows are on what box. Add all five and it'll be a huge SWAG. We have our boxes named at directv.com, any way to port those names to this?

Again, just wanted to throw this out there for discussion.

2. Mar 3, 2008 #2 of 25
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    I like the idea. Doubt they'll be able to tie them back to our online accounts. But maybe cause I said that they'll try even harder. ;)

Probably something just under settings would be good. Give us the ability to type a name.

3. Mar 3, 2008 #3 of 25
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Friendly names would be nice :).

4. Mar 3, 2008 #4 of 25
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I wonder what it would take, and what the ramifications would be. If you were actually renaming the computer, that might make it easier to move a drive from one device to another if you renamed the new one to the same name as the old one. I don't think our friends would smile on that.

Maybe the software could ask you to name them in initial setup.

5. Mar 3, 2008 #5 of 25
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I also think that would be a good idea.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #6 of 25
    lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I have all mine named on my account, why not let them pull their names from there?

Of course mine have rather bland names such as AV Rack and AV Rack 1

7. Mar 3, 2008 #7 of 25
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I agree being able to name them would be great and something I think is needed.

8. Mar 3, 2008 #8 of 25
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Makes some sense, I'm sure that it could do that but then you have a requirement of it having internet access not just local networking. Is that a dealbreaker?

9. Mar 3, 2008 #9 of 25
    kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    But there really is no communication back to the DVRs is there? I know they talk TO DirecTV, but I thought it was just a one way conversation other than acknowledgements. Didn't think they were setup to really receive anything FROM them.

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    On Demand comes through the internet.

11. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    True. Forgot about that.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Personally, I'd like for there to be a menu slot on the HR20/21 that allows you to put the friendly name there. Then I'd like for the PC Playback software *AND* the directv.com web page to get it's friendly name directly from the HR20.

Now, with R15s, D10s, etc. in the mix I realize that aspect may be completely wishful thinking.

13. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Wouldn't be a deal breaker to me, I honestly wouldn't care if i named them on the individual receivers or on DirecTV.com or on the HMC software. At the moment I am only putting 1 receiver to the test with this, but if this took on all the receivers in my house, memorizing RID's would be a hassle and a half.

Now another option and I don't know if it would even be feasibly possible would be to have the play list span from all receivers into one big play list and scheduling recordings to the most available time slots based on series links already set to record. (wish list option I'm sure but if we're gonna throw it out there I'm REALLY gonna throw it out there)

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I agree with Doug, friendly name at the DVR. Then upload the names via internet or phone (R1x, etc.)

In the case where a unit is not connected, users will just have to do the update manually on both website/DVR.

Or (novel idea), let the naming be bi-directional. If the name is changed on the site, pass to the receiver. If the name is changed on the DVR, upload it. :)

BTW: I have 12 receivers. In many rooms. And they move OFTEN with all the field trials. :) Way, way too painful to update the friendly names at the website trying to match (what feels like) 100 digit numbers to the ones in each room. Simpler to just go to the unit and enter the name right there.

Cheers,
    Tom

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    This is quite feasible. To make this really, really work, I would need more ability to create groupings of like items together: Kids, comedies, golden oldies (that only Papa Tom watches), Prime time, news, "Kay's shows", "Fred's", etc. With 8 DVR+ receivers, I need a bit more organization. (Amazing for an ADD person to say, I admit.) :)

Cheers,
    Tom

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh .. that is thinking out of the box. I like it. As Tom suggested, there might need to be some ordering concerns, but this sounds like it could be doable.

17. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    It would certainly make the eventuality of MRV even more useful.

18. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I think I'm just going to put 12 digit room numbers on all the doors in the house and make everyone refer to them by there RID (Room/Receiver Identification) Number instead of their "common names"

19. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Well... You can, but that might not be enough digits to be unique. You likely want a full GUID number of 128 bits. :lol:

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    On the DirecTV web site you can name your STB's, why not have that name pushed out to the box?